Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I just got a quote from Esurance and my premium would go from 600 to 1340 every 6 months. I was hoping to get a 70D in about a year so hopefully premiums go down by then...otherwise I might have to reconsider as it was already going to be stretching my budget a bit. Maybe I'll just have to get a 2016 chevy volt to tie me over until the model 3. I guess we'll see but I'm a little sad that my dream is just a little bit further away today. :/

Well I just got a quote from Esurance and my premium would go from 600 to 1340 every 6 months. I was hoping to get a 70D in about a year so hopefully premiums go down by then...otherwise I might have to reconsider as it was already going to be stretching my budget a bit. Maybe I'll just have to get a 2016 chevy volt to tie me over until the model 3. I guess we'll see but I'm a little sad that my dream is just a little bit further away today. :/

Shop around, the number difference between companies for me was staggering.

With my 70D en route to replace an Audi A6 TDI (anyone want a sweet deal on a nice diesel??) and being a USAA member, I am keenly interested in what they offer you. Please keep us updated!

So, I just got off the phone with USAA. My rate is the same as Geico $1900 / yr. However, its quoted in 6 month chunks. I must have been informed or heard wrong the first time when I thought it was $900/yr.

The interesting thing he told me is the 70D is more expensive right now than other Teslas and that is because they have no data on it. No crash tests, safety ratings, etc. He blames this on the car being so new and said he strongly feels that rate will drop once they get more data on the car.

This might explain why my AAA rate on this car was so much more expensive than the AAA quote I got on an 85 just weeks earlier.

I quoted upgrading to an 85D with Geico a few weeks ago, and they said it'll raise my rates by ~$280/6months.

I quoted the 70D last night with Geico (I don't have my VIN yet, and they don't have a 70D in their database yet), and rated changed by ~$150/6months.

I don't know about that, but USAA just quoted me $965 for 6 months (driving 15k per year, suburban Maryland outside DC) on a 70D which will be about a $165 increase over what I am paying now for a 2014 Audi A6 TDI. Seems within the realm of reason to me.

I got quoted
1,367.56 per six months through USAA with a 2013 Civic Si, 2011 Subaru Forester, AND adding the Model S 70D.

It's something like 950 with just the model S and Forester.

I've found recently that the cost shown per car with multiple cars and teenagers/early 20s drivers can be somewhat arbitrary. Some of the risk premium for the younger drivers is allocated across the vehicles. From our 4-person 4-car policy, selling a 2003 Chrysler minivan and going to 3 vehicles saved $1k/yr.

First post so please be gentle.

My 85D is in transit so its time to check for insurance and was pleasantly surprised. Optioned only with the tech package and subzero package 100/300 insurance through State Farm is $314.54 every six months. This is less than the 2012 Infiniti M35h that it is replacing. Ohio is usually pretty cheap when it comes to auto insurance.

Added the "new" Tesla to my auto-policy. For the Tesla part of the policy, adding to my NC Traveler's Policy came to $1,401 for one year. The breakdown is as follows:

- Collision w/ $500 deductible
- Comprehensive w/ $500 deductible
- Liability @ $250k/$500k
- Property Damage @ $100k
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Liability @ $250k/$500k
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Property @ $100k
- Multi-car discount (Tesla is a car addition, not a replacement)
- Multi-policy (home) discount

The same coverage on my 2006 Toyota 4Runner for one year by itself (without multi-car discount) was $1,010 for a year. Note, on the line-item breakdown, Liability and Property Damage on the Tesla is cheaper than the Toyota, but Comprehensive and Collision are significantly higher (more than half of my total quote).

I believe I am getting a good discount for having two cars, but only one driver. Basically, 4Runner only = $1,010, 4Runner + Model S = $2,063.

Last edited:
Miami has ridiculous insurance rates to begin with, so my 1 year quote from Geico at $1,800 doesn't actually sound all that bad. My other 2 vehicles are about the same combined. I had other quotes that were much higher than this as I shopped around to make sure I wasn't about to over-pay.

I need to check my rates, to be sure they have not increased using Geico, as they have for some, noted above.
However, I couldn't be more pleased with the way Geico handled recent repair work on my car, increasing the amount needed to fix the car at the repair company's request, no quibbles. The work was done well. Very pleased.
So, Geico good by me. Great, actually.

It's astonishing how different the rates are across the country. This thread had me bit frightened, and so I held off on getting an estimate until two days before I pick up my 70D. I know Seattle has some of the worst drivers in the entire country so it's funny to see the cheaper insurance rates being in Washington State.

The quote from state farm came out to be pretty much the exact same as I'm already paying for a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. It's around $450 for 6 months. Now keep in mind that's an addition to the Jeep Wrangler which I'm keeping.

So my total monthly bill will be around $170 total for both cars including Umbrella coverage that I added today as well. Pretty standard coverage nothing insanely high or insanely low.

I'm go glad they don't actively monitor how I drive or they'd never give me such inexpensive insurance.

Now for the hard part.

Avoiding tickets in a Tesla might be impossible for me. I use the 10mph over rule and that works for where I live. I don't go on major road trips so the opportunity doesn't really exist except if I make a mistake of if I just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

But, as soon as I get outside of this bubble all bets are off.

I'll probably get hauled off to jail for giving a cop an earful when he pulls me over for 5mph over.

Avoiding tickets in a Tesla might be impossible for me. I use the 10mph over rule and that works for where I live. I don't go on major road trips so the opportunity doesn't really exist except if I make a mistake of if I just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

But, as soon as I get outside of this bubble all bets are off.

I'll probably get hauled off to jail for giving a cop an earful when he pulls me over for 5mph over.
My early childhood (until age 8) was in Snohomish. I remember when we went down to California to visit grandpa, my dad was pulled over in Oregon for going 65 in a 55, but he was only given a warning.

The 10 over rule applies here as well. Everyone goes 10 over on the highways and I'm a firm believer in matching the average speed of traffic for safety. Going fast for the sake of speed isn't really in my blood. If I get pulled over, it would probably be for rapid acceleration (it's addictive!), even though I level off at no more than 10 over.