Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S: ludicrous mode and 90kWh Battery announcement(s).

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have just been told that changing your order for a 90kwh pack and ludicrous is doable without delaying delivery if your car isn't in production yet. But. And it's a big But. It will mean your order is transferred to the new price book. This would make it a $35k upgrade for me.

Price and and availability of a retrofit isn't known yet.

i'm in for both. Since I ordered in December I am two price increases behind, so even $20k or less additional seems like a bargain

what the heck, if you buy a supercar, it ought to be a SUPERCAR

I'll check with Adam on Monday and report on the particulars.

One thing to keep in mind, Elon announced that they plan on doing 5% extra power per year... Is 5% enough? Wait a few years and get 15%?

I'm all for the Ludicruis mode when we find out what the after market costs are, but I might wait for the extra battery performance. As an aside, I am working with a few others to create an Aussie option similar to the following charger EVR3 - Type 2 - max 22 kW [Portable charging station] - I think this is much better money spent than getting the 85->90 kWh for more than double that.

As an aside, I am working with a few others to create an Aussie option similar to the following charger EVR3 - Type 2 - max 22 kW [Portable charging station] - I think this is much better money spent than getting the 85->90 kWh for more than double that.

Agreed, this could be interesting. How easy is it to find 32A 3phase plugs?

- - - Updated - - -

But for me my car is plenty powerful enough (it makes my old 928 feel slow) and has enough range for everything I've used a car for the past 6+ years, so to pay up to twice the price for essentially the exact same car with more power and range is something I have no interest in whatsoever. I'd almost never use either. To each their own of course! :)

As another 928 owner I can relate! I still like my 928GT but rarely drive it. If I won $30M in powerball then I'd think about it, but otherwise I'm happy with my S85. Ordering now though I'd do the S85D and think seriously about the S90D. The only thing that I'd really like to upgrade are the seats.

Agreed, this could be interesting. How easy is it to find 32A 3phase plugs?

- - - Updated - - -

As another 928 owner I can relate! I still like my 928GT but rarely drive it. If I won $30M in powerball then I'd think about it, but otherwise I'm happy with my S85. Ordering now though I'd do the S85D and think seriously about the S90D. The only thing that I'd really like to upgrade are the seats.

Hello Mark E, there aren't a heap out there, but still people are starting to track routes that do... However for me, I want a plug and adapter that supports the multitude of Power Options in Australia.

Firstly that EURO plug will be converted to be a 32A 3 Phase from a 5 pin socket suitable for Australia.

then adapters to fit:

- 20A 3 Phase plug, there are quite a few in Australia

Lastly, the UMC plug from Tesla - 10A single phase

Mine sat in the garage for the better part of 3 years before I finally sold it! Was a hard decision as the car had a lot of sentimental value, but realistically I never used it, and could see that I would never have use for a purely 'fun' car any more. The Tesla though I find any excuse to get out, and it will be our only car soon. Having the fun and practicality in the one vehicle is awesome, and the fun part isn't confined to the rare occasions that it can be opened up on suitable roads.

This is from Elon's blog post:

7-20-2015 9-41-15 AM.jpg

So does this mean I can have my 2.5 year old A-pack with 52,000 miles upgraded to a 90 for $3,000??? And what does he mean by "wait until you have more time on your existing pack"? I might only keep the car for another year or two and this sounds appealing to me.