Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S P100D becomes world's fastest car from Dec update !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sorry, but I I have the opportunity to purchase one ( if not THE) of the fastest 0-60 cars on the planet....AND drive it on the street without having to park it in a safe every time I go into a store.

I also have the opportunity to purchase one (if not THE) of the fastest 0-60 cars on the planet and insure it at what I would consider to be "regular rates".

I also have the opportunity to purchase one (if not THE) of the fastest 0-60 cars on the planet and fuel it cheaper rates than most ICE compact cars.

I also have the opportunity to purchase one (if not THE) of the fastest 0-60 cars on the planet and not have to be a OIL tycoon or have a ton of money left to me by my filthy rich parents.

Need I go on?

I'll meet anyone on the track....

As you have correctly surmised. The other cars on the list are not actually production cars, they are collector cars and should be considered right up there with NASCAR vehicles.

Bad for Nissan, Porsche and Rimac that are Japanese and Europe manufacturers that don't use this 1 ft rollout no sense. USA cars looks to be faster when in reality they are not when people are only using the manufacturer performance numbers.

That depends on where they sell the car. Nissan USA uses the 1ft rollout on their literature here in the US for cars sold in the US.

Tesla never should have used that standard when advertising the car in countries that don't use that standard.

Reactions: rowdy
Tesla never should have used that standard when advertising the car in countries that don't use that standard.
Not to mention Tesla are inconsistent and only switched to using 1-foot rollout for the performance models. Which makes the difference with the 90D appear to be bigger than it is.

At the end of the day Tesla are rapidly improving. If they want to use 1-foot rollout then they need to get to 2.1 seconds. The new battery architecture we've seen with the P100D is solid and I think they will get there as soon as they put the new 2170 cells in. Hopefully this will happen in the coming months...

As a P100D owner with Ludicrous, I can tell you there is very little noticeable wheel spin when I launch on a normal street. I can't say for certain whether I'm hitting 2.5 seconds but I can say for certain the acceleration defies description.
Can you turn off traction control and spin all 4 tires on normal pavement? My Mercedes had a "Dyno" mode which shut off ABS and traction control so you could run it on a chassis dynamometer. Or do a burn out.

Not to mention Tesla are inconsistent and only switched to using 1-foot rollout for the performance models. Which makes the difference with the 90D appear to be bigger than it is.

At the end of the day Tesla are rapidly improving. If they want to use 1-foot rollout then they need to get to 2.1 seconds. The new battery architecture we've seen with the P100D is solid and I think they will get there as soon as they put the new 2170 cells in. Hopefully this will happen in the coming months...
It seems the motors are not the limiting factor. How much/fast will Tesla allow them to heat up? That determines drag race performance.

Reactions: WarpedOne
Can you turn off traction control and spin all 4 tires on normal pavement? My Mercedes had a "Dyno" mode which shut off ABS and traction control so you could run it on a chassis dynamometer. Or do a burn out.

AFAIK, you can't completely turn off traction control in any Dual motor Tesla. They have a setting called "slip start" that allows some wheel spin, but it still isn't disabled. There was a nice article in early 2015 about the P85D on a snow track where the author lamented the lack.

Edit: Here it is, from Road and Track. I don't think anything has changed on the traction/stability front since...

Climate Change: 2014 Tesla Model S P85D

The other cars on the lists can also achieve and maintain very high speeds. You can also put them on a track and achieve good track times. How does the Tesla succeed in those disciplines?

It does well:

upload_2016-6-17_7-37-36-png.181225

The Tesla Racing Series - TESLARATI.com

The Ultimate Tesla Model S Autocross Enduro Race

View attachment 181225

-- passing plenty of ice, and especially killing those turn exits:

Abraham Shrem racing his TESLA Model S at Willow Springs International Raceway

Tesla Model S Performance on racetrack in France

[Tesla] At the Race Track - Burrow's Day Part I

Tesla Model S EV P85 track days Laguna Seca raceways

TESLARATI "48" Tesla, 2nd place EV TT finish at Laguna Seca 07-20-2014

TESLARATI "48" Tesla at Sonoma 06/07/2015

Electrifying Lime Rock Park’s Short Circuit in a Tesla Model S P85 (Yes, We Tracked It)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: GSP
As a P100D owner with Ludicrous, I can tell you there is very little noticeable wheel spin when I launch on a normal street. I can't say for certain whether I'm hitting 2.5 seconds but I can say for certain the acceleration defies description.
Are you talking about with or without TC? What you say makes perfect sense with TC (in fact, I'd expect absolutely no slip, even under
less-than-ideal road conditions), but not so much for TC off.

Tesla time is with 1 ft rollout. Porsche 918, Rimac and GTR is not. So the real time is 0.2 to 0.3 slower.

Just a few US car manufactures including Tesla that use1 ft rollout cheating to brag about better times than the reality on 0-60mph or 0-100kph.
There is no rollout if you watch the Dragtimes or Tesla Racing Channel videos 0-60. But I guess they must be cheating too according to you.

Reactions: EinSV and Yuri_G
There is no rollout if you watch the Dragtimes or Tesla Racing Channel videos 0-60. But I guess they must be cheating too according to you.
Say what? Where did they say it was without rollout? Dragtimes used a performancebox which is usually configured with 1-foot rollout (to simulate drag strips)

I think we just need to get a p100d and 918 side by side and settle it once and for all :)

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP and MP3Mike
Say what? Where did they say it was without rollout? Dragtimes used a performancebox which is usually configured with 1-foot rollout (to simulate drag strips)

I think we just need to get a p100d and 918 side by side and settle it once and for all :)
I'm talking about actual racing slips from the track not using Vbox. This was for quarter mile and not 0-60 as I said in my other post. There is also a video of Rimac vs 918 where the Rimac consistently beats the 918 in the quarter mile.

Last edited:

As other have mention already both Drag times and TRC uses 1 ft rollout on the gtech/Vbox. Its a option to turn it on or off and they have it on to emulate a drag strip.
So yes its cheating :)
0-60 is 0 zero, standstill to 60 mph and nothing else. With 1 ft rollout its 3-4 mph to 60.

With 1 ft rollout its 3-4 mph to 60.
It may actually be faster still. One could test that quite easily. A rod attacked to the car could tap a coke can off a stool, impact after 1 foot driven, we note the flight path. Then compase same rod point to similar surface, moveing as a controlled steady velocity to copy the tap impact and determine what speed the car was doing. That, or a high speed camera and precise reading on a table as the car zooms past. We know the time between frames, with the distance between 2 frames we know the velocity.

Often, I find that the persons who are quick to point out where a Tesla does not perform as well as {Insert car here}:
  1. Do not own either.
  2. Fail to recognize there are entire groups of people who race for the exact performance measure(s) that Tesla touts (1/4 mile, 1/8 mile, 0-60 times).
  3. Fail to recognize that it still outperforms any car they have ever or will ever drive.
  4. Fail to recognize its the only car they have a shot at ever owning.