Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S P100D becomes world's fastest car from Dec update !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is still doing the rollout scam? Pathetic.

They should grow up because the Teslas are good enough without cheating.

In the US 1 ft rollout look to be what many car magazine uses . Only a few like Consumer Reports and Edmunds dont use it.

So for us from Europe that did not know about this strange measure method where they emulate the limits of staging timing equipment on the drag strip its strange/stupid to not calculate the time from 0/ZERO.

Bad for Nissan, Porsche and Rimac that are Japanese and Europe manufacturers that don't use this 1 ft rollout no sense. USA cars looks to be faster when in reality they are not when people are only using the manufacturer performance numbers.

Porsche 918 2.2 sec to 60 with 1 ft rollout.
2015 Porsche 918 Spyder Tested: 2.2 Seconds to 60! - Feature

Last edited:
> Tesla doesn't use permanent magnet motors. [Saghost]

Not sure what difference that would make. I was imagining a difference between controlling the spin of a revolving magnetic field as opposed to controlling the spin of a (physical) shaft. The former would be instantaneous, the latter might be slower or might be virtually just as fast. I don't know.
--

It matters when you get to the level of detail you were describing, because of the point I made up thread.

In a PM motor, the rotor spins at the same speed as the magnetic field all the time, and what you described makes sense.

In an induction motor, the motor spins slower than the field any time it is delivering power, typically up to five percent slower or so.

Induction motor - Wikipedia

Last edited:
How is it the "world's fastest car"? "The world's fastes car" isn't quite the same as "the fastest from 0 - 60". It's a one trick pony for publicity reasons.

Is Bolt a one trick pony because he is only great at the 100 and 200? No, he is the fastest man in the world by virtue of winning these races (even if that is a slight misuse of the word).

I thought the PM motor was preferred for EVs since it was more efficient and more controllable than a mere 'induction' motor. More research needed re why TM chose this variant.
--

There are a lot of articles saying that, and as I said above, most of the industry did go with permanent magnet motors.

PM motors have a higher peak efficiency, but as I understand it induction motors have a broader peak, and back in the Roadster days Tesla released a white paper saying they got better overall efficiency with an induction motor if I remember right.

How is it the "world's fastest car"? "The world's fastes car" isn't quite the same as "the fastest from 0 - 60". It's a one trick pony for publicity reasons.

Agree acceleration doesn't make it the "fastest" (and AFAIK, Tesla has never claimed to be "fastest"; only other sources).

That said, 2 things to consider:
1. I don't see another practical, 4-door on that list in the original post. The other cars there may have more "tricks", but the fact that the Model S is a practical everyday car makes its one trick enjoyable daily while the many tricks of the others are reserved for occasional use.
2. The P100D's one trick is the only aspect of high performance you can experience legally on public roads in most countries. Gets back to the daily thing.

So in many cases, the P100D may come out ahead in terms of cumulative lifetime tricks delivered (hmm... that sounds a bit sleazy but you get my point) anyway. It's not just for publicity.

Sorry, I'm practical like that.

• Love
Reactions: bhzmark
Tesla, the poor man's hotrod. :rolleyes:
--
$135K is poor to you? Hmmmm.

Should Tesla raise the price to 1.2million. What would it be then? With the fastest 0-60 times?

When companies such as Lambo...Bugatti, Porsche, Nissan posts data on its cars to tout their superiority....they use 0-60 times to do so. So what everyone is saying is that when Tesla does it.....it shouldn't be used?

Really?

Reactions: X-Auto
Since 99% of driving is done at speeds a Prius can achieve the maximum speed listed really have 0 significance for most of humanity. None. Motor trend and other top end speed oriented press folks have a lot of work to do to change the perception of what is good and useful, they still speak lovingly of the sound of pollution and waste exhaust...really in today's world they have not progressed their journalistic writing beyond an analysis done in the 1930's.

Why do I want a car to make a sound? Never ever got that. I've driven everything from tractors, to illegal street hot rods, to small planes, to forest harvesting forwarding skidders. Every group of users has some % that enjoys hearing exhaust...so maybe I am odd. For me, I'd like to hear the wind and birds and not much more. Reason i like sailing, mountain biking, etc.

So a vehicle such as a laferrari is designed to meet very specific check boxes (high price, high top end, production limited just like prints in an art gallery, barely street legal, etc) they are never going to be driven at top speeds, the cost is a selling point geared to an an unholy income distribution skew, and it is deliberately production curtailed to make it collectable.

Better to measure fastest cars with 50,000 vehicles on the road. You'd drop all the useless chaff right off that list and be left with a Porsche 911 and Tesla. Both great cars, both exciting. If I want chaff I'd put NASCAR frames on there, they have more vehicles than some of those "production" cars. By dropping the chaff you'd force motor trend to discuss driving rather than salivating on some ridiculous checklist that has nothing to do with driving.

I summary, if you want fast go to bonneville (really-that is a blast). If you want to discuss exciting driving for the normal joe...than yeah Tesla is amazing, head knocking back gravity defying acceleration with perfect traction control that no other vehicle can touch. Yeah, it's pretty f'ing awesome.

Yeah, sweet words ! :)

Tesla time is with 1 ft rollout. Porsche 918, Rimac and GTR is not. So the real time is 0.2 to 0.3 slower.

Just a few US car manufactures including Tesla that use1 ft rollout cheating to brag about better times than the reality on 0-60mph or 0-100kph.
Teslas are blowing away the cars on youtube as well as on paper. So to me....the videos are matching the paper. I don't care what you try to use to discredit them.

I can say this with all sincerity - A car in the price category of a Tesla competing with a car 10 -15 times its price is confounding.

The other cars on the lists can also achieve and maintain very high speeds. You can also put them on a track and achieve good track times. How does the Tesla succeed in those disciplines?
I'm sorry, but I I have the opportunity to purchase one ( if not THE) of the fastest 0-60 cars on the planet....AND drive it on the street without having to park it in a safe every time I go into a store.

I also have the opportunity to purchase one (if not THE) of the fastest 0-60 cars on the planet and insure it at what I would consider to be "regular rates".

I also have the opportunity to purchase one (if not THE) of the fastest 0-60 cars on the planet and fuel it cheaper rates than most ICE compact cars.

I also have the opportunity to purchase one (if not THE) of the fastest 0-60 cars on the planet and not have to be a OIL tycoon or have a ton of money left to me by my filthy rich parents.

Need I go on?

I'll meet anyone on the track....

Reactions: nativewolf
On another note:

0-60 vs sustained high rate of speed.

That is an extremely interesting debate. Its interesting to me because of how catawampus the two sides are.

0-60 @ 2.1sec - I can do this just about anywhere
Sustained 250mph. Maybe Germany ( autobahn)

0-60 @ 2.1sec - My own personal rollercoaster
Sustained 250mph - Maybe on a track.

0-60 @ 2.1sec - Infiltrates my dreams - one day a reality
Sustained 250mph - Airplane yes.....car no. I've been 175 in a car ( maybe the wrong car) but never again with trees around. LOL

Tesla is selling the correct feature.
Ahywhooo.... I'm just joking around folks. I'm serious, but not trying to debate. lol

Last edited:
The other cars on the lists can also achieve and maintain very high speeds. You can also put them on a track and achieve good track times. How does the Tesla succeed in those disciplines?

It's a 6 passenger sedan designed for the road, not the track. All the others are sports cars designed for the track. Most likely they're also garage queens most of the time. Model S's are daily drivers for most owners. As a daily driver nothing else comes close.

These are apple to orange comparisons.

Reactions: mobe and Pezpunk
Hi Again,

Elon Musk just disclosed the new Easter Egg which will give Model S a new performance boost that will enable it to go from 0 - 60 mph in just 2.4 secs that's faster than the Bugatti Veyron & Porsche 918 Spyder, actually the fastest production car in the world at the time... so what's the future of ICE Manufacturers and Vehicles? what they gonna brag about?

View attachment 202751

Look at the comparison chart. If interested read more: Elon's 'P100D Easter Egg' Makes Model S The Fastest Production Car Ever

Your acceleration may vary, many drag strips use a tackifier in the launch area to increase traction. PJ1 TrackBite - Wikipedia
You may not get these acceleration times on a normal street. The first few times I launched a Camaro with a stick shift I bogged down because the tires did not spin due to the greatly increased grip and I didn't launch with enough revs. Traction control will take advantage of the increased grip. Will an AWD Tesla spin all 4 tires on normal pavement if traction control is off?

Your acceleration may vary, many drag strips use a tackifier in the launch area to increase traction. PJ1 TrackBite - Wikipedia
You may not get these acceleration times on a normal street. The first few times I launched a Camaro with a stick shift I bogged down because the tires did not spin due to the greatly increased grip and I didn't launch with enough revs. Traction control will take advantage of the increased grip. Will an AWD Tesla spin all 4 tires on normal pavement if traction control is off?

As a P100D owner with Ludicrous, I can tell you there is very little noticeable wheel spin when I launch on a normal street. I can't say for certain whether I'm hitting 2.5 seconds but I can say for certain the acceleration defies description.