Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Performance & Handling Compared to my BMW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving dynamics aside, one thing I learned coming from German cars is don't have high expectations when it comes to interior quality. While Tesla is nice, it is not comparable to the fit and finish of German luxury sedans. But like somebody said above, once you test drive a Tesla it will seal the deal. You will forget all the creature comforts you've grown used to in your BMW.

IMHO, anything below the top-of-the-line German models has crappy interior, that included E/5/A6, large swathes of cheap plastic and ridiculously small screen reminding me of old days PDA, cheap seat leather too. Latest MS with the premium interior package beats them easily if putting aside the choice of design style.

IMHO, anything below the top-of-the-line German models has crappy interior, that included E/5/A6, large swathes of cheap plastic and ridiculously small screen reminding me of old days PDA, cheap seat leather too. Latest MS with the premium interior package beats them easily if putting aside the choice of design style.

Agreed. I just had a 328i rental for almost a week(while getting upgraded to L) and everything about the interior was worse than the MS except for the adjustable thigh support on the seats. Something my FX50 had also that I miss on the Tesla.

When driven briskly around curves/turns, the Tesla isn't going to feel as planted or handle as well, but much of the problem is the tires. They're skinny and and not anything close to performance tires. And keep in mind, BMW has been doing this performance suspension tuning for many decades.
If you're leasing, be ready for some BIG numbers with the Tesla, particularly the RIDICULOUS drive off compared to German cars.
Tesla really needs to start up a Financial arm to make the lease comparable to other luxury manufacturers. I can't believe the guy who helped start Paypal hasn't figured this out. The financial arm generates more money they the car side for many manufacturers.

I noticed that it was roughly $7K out of pocket, I believe I paid less than $2K OOP when I leased my 550, half of that was the 1st month payment in advance. My payment is $1024/month for 36 months and the OTD price was $80K. Perhaps the long history and established residual values are in BMW's favor? I dunno, just a guess...

Good god, I couldn't disagree more. I LOVE the Tesla. I have an unhealthy love for the Tesla but it's basically a mid-level interior that's been gussied up with the addition of nice leather. A luxury car this is not. The Model S has way more hard plastic than the 5 series.

The one factor that prevented me from getting a Tesla a couple years ago was the interior. I couldn't justify paying that much money for a car with an interior that paled in comparison to my high end 5. And even now I miss the interior of the 5. I don't hate the interior of the Tesla; I just don't like it as much as the 5.

It's all about objectivity guys. So far in this thread I've seen people say the 5 series doesn't hold a candle to the S in any way, that the S handles much better than the M-Sport 5, that the S has a much nicer interior, etc. Most of this is just not true if you're being the slightest bit objective. The Tesla is an amazing car. The 5 series is also an amazing car. I *gasp* was in between buying another loaded 2014 535 M-Sport or my Model S and it was a tough call.

You take nothing away from the Tesla by being able to admit that there are other great cars out there. The F10 5 series in M-Sport trim with either the turbo 6 or 8 is a great car.

Good god, I couldn't disagree more. I LOVE the Tesla. I have an unhealthy love for the Tesla but it's basically a mid-level interior that's been gussied up with the addition of nice leather. A luxury car this is not. The Model S has way more hard plastic than the 5 series.

The one factor that prevented me from getting a Tesla a couple years ago was the interior. I couldn't justify paying that much money for a car with an interior that paled in comparison to my high end 5. And even now I miss the interior of the 5. I don't hate the interior of the Tesla; I just don't like it as much as the 5.

It's all about objectivity guys. So far in this thread I've seen people say the 5 series doesn't hold a candle to the S in any way, that the S handles much better than the M-Sport 5, that the S has a much nicer interior, etc. Most of this is just not true if you're being the slightest bit objective. The Tesla is an amazing car. The 5 series is also an amazing car. I *gasp* was in between buying another loaded 2014 535 M-Sport or my Model S and it was a tough call.

You take nothing away from the Tesla by being able to admit that there are other great cars out there. The F10 5 series in M-Sport trim with either the turbo 6 or 8 is a great car.

Yes, my 2014 twin turbo V8 is a hoss! I love the car don't get me wrong but after driving the Tesla I immediately knew it was going to be my next vehicle. Call it a cult following, early adopter, whatever but I can't get the damn "Tesla Grin" to go away! lol

+100, LOVE Model S but didn't think the interior is on par with other car in the same price range. So went with the Panamera 2 years ago.

Agreed. I just had a 328i rental for almost a week(while getting upgraded to L) and everything about the interior was worse than the MS except for the adjustable thigh support on the seats. Something my FX50 had also that I miss on the Tesla.

A 328i is $30k. An apples to apples comparison on interior (price-wise) is a loaded 550 or a base 7 series compared to a base Model S. A loaded 85D falls just short of a nicely optioned 7 series or M5. I agree that "cheap" german cars have crappy interiors too, but they aren't the competition for a Model S.

I personally prefer the interior DESIGN of the model S to my 550. That said, I think the MATERIALS are not on par, and the BUILD QUALITY is nowhere close. In 3 weeks I've had more squeaks, rattles, buzzes, and **** wrong with my Model S than in 3 years and 45,000 miles in my BMW. Knowing what I know now, would I still get one? Absolutely. Call it Tesla mind control, drinking the Kool-Aid, or what have you, but there's something about this car that makes you look the other way on **** like this. Still, I see too many people on this forum that are completely incapable of being objective (not directed at you sorka) and think the Model S is the best car in every possible way and that Tesla can do no wrong. They are eager to point out every flaw in every ICEV, but the Tesla is perfect. I just don't understand that.

Bought a P85+ (2013 w/5k) last week. Last few perf cars I've had: M Roadster, 335i, X5M, X6-M Perf Pkg, and now the P85. I can say without hesitation, the acceleration / fun-to-drive factor of the P85 completely destroys all these previous cars. The MS is amazing. The P85+ is 'on par' with the now 85D in the performance category. That being said, the M5 will probably feel more solid and aggressive (and more luxurious and more substantial).

It seems, Tesla had to start out with a really heavy car to which they did what they could to reduce weight. Other high-line makers can keep piling on stuff without too much regard for weight. So, you get more 'stuff' in regular cars. With Tesla, you just get more smiles. . .

Have you seen the latest E-Class videos and stuff from the CES? Looks almost like an S-Class interior. I honestly thought in a few years if the Model 3 doesn't drop much further than the Model S in interior design I might consider it, but god damn that E-Class interior at that price. But might end up spending a bit less anyway...

But an M3 gets the really nice leather with the awesome seats, and it's less than half the price of the top end Model S.

But yes normal german interiors are pretty meh.

Speaking of interiors, I did notice that a November 2015 build Model S had leather upper door trim (the top black black part on the door) vs some synthetic material on my April 2015 build. Both had Premium/extended Nappa options. I thought it made a noticeable difference for an otherwise small change.

Not sure how the interiors are in Hong Kong, but in the US, the interiors of of a comparably priced E/5/A6 class is WAY nicer, and come with a center console, door pockets and individual profile keys. On the BMW's you can read 2 lines of txt messages, look locations up on your phone and send it to the car so it's ready to go when you get in the car. You can also get a HUD, extended leather on the center console and dash. Not to mention cup holders that actually work while you use the center arm rest.

I noticed that it was roughly $7K out of pocket, I believe I paid less than $2K OOP when I leased my 550, half of that was the 1st month payment in advance. My payment is $1024/month for 36 months and the OTD price was $80K. Perhaps the long history and established residual values are in BMW's favor? I dunno, just a guess...

The other manufacturers have a financial arm that plays with the money factor or residual to make the numbers much better.
My S85 was $7,400 drive off total after the deposit and $2,000 referral credit. Then they put the $7,500 Federal Tax credit to the residual instead of taking it off the sale price, which just means I'll be paying that much more at the end of my lease if I buy the car.

Not sure how the interiors are in Hong Kong, but in the US, the interiors of of a comparably priced E/5/A6 class is WAY nicer, and come with a center console, door pockets and individual profile keys. On the BMW's you can read 2 lines of txt messages, look locations up on your phone and send it to the car so it's ready to go when you get in the car. You can also get a HUD, extended leather on the center console and dash. Not to mention cup holders that actually work while you use the center arm rest.

Stop it. You're making me miss my 5. Full color HUD is a gift from the heavens.

Although, I do have to admit that as far as nerd technology goes, the Tesla pleasantly surprised me last week when it plucked an appointment from the calendar on my phone, assumed I was going to that appointment based on the time I was entering my car and then told me it could save me time on the drive.

Changed from the Beast

Went from a 2014 M5 with Comp package to my Tesla P85+ (had a longer drive and ready access to supercharger). Absolutely loved my M5! The T handles great, has much better acceleration (even with M5 launch control).

What I miss, is the growl... oh the growl!

Went from a 2014 M5 with Comp package to my Tesla P85+ (had a longer drive and ready access to supercharger). Absolutely loved my M5! The T handles great, has much better acceleration (even with M5 launch control).

What I miss, is the growl... oh the growl!

Did you have an exhaust on it?
Saw and heard a 2014 M5 with Eisenmann Race exhaust at the track... pure sex.

But nothing will touch electric for daily driving in terms of torque and acceleration.
The reality is, cars are really too powerful for the street now. It's why I got an 85, instead of the 85D or even a P90D. I'm never going to use it because in 3-4 seconds, I'm already illegal. In 5-6 seconds, you're in throw you in jail speeds.

I went from a F10 535i with a Dinan chip to the P85D.

I suppose it depends on what you are talking about when it comes to handling, but for my money the 535i handles far better than the P85D. I'm saying that purely from an enthusiast POV in terms of driving enjoyment. For my taste BMW has the balance b/w luxury/power/handling pretty close to nailed. The 535 is a fairly big car (although smaller than the MS) but still feels nimble. The MS isn't nimble in that way. It is heavy but handles like it is on rails - you can't do anything to make the car feel like it is on the edge of breaking away.

That said, it doesn't matter one bit. The experience of owning the Tesla is awesome. It's awesome to drive. The power is super fun. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Note: I see you're in Nashville. If there is anything I can do to help you in your process let me know. I'm happy to let you drive my car so you can see what it's like w/o having to deal with the Tesla folks. Just PM me as you get closer to your decision point.

Also here's my post from early ownership - speaks a bit to handling, delivery experience in Nashville, etc.
Week One Observations - Nashville P85D

@tstafford, since you live in the Nashville area have you ever calculated the electricity cost to charge your MS from essentially empty to full?

Full color HUD? You mean 4 colors? My 535i HUD only has amber, white, green, maybe one more?

They upgraded the HUD for either 2013 or 2014. I had a 2014 and the HUD was amazing, a lot better than what I remember from the M5. Either way, HUD is my most missed feature. For the life of me, I can't understand why more manufacturers don't utilize it.

BMW-HUD-scranton-640x386.jpg

I have to agree with others on here about the interior.

Maybe for a subtly different reason, and that is the number of fixtures and fittings Tesla uses. Taking apart the dash from a high end German car is a nightmare, meanwhile the Tesla one all clips together, and was taken apart by a ranger in my office car park with minimal tools.

The end result of this fixture saving is my car really does creak and squeak and tick. I've had them fix various sources a few times, but it's just ongoing, and still annoying. (I have heard more recent cars are better, but the last loaner I had the yacht floor was peeling off, so I'm not 100% convinced)

The cabin noise at speed isn't as good as some in this segment (certainly leaps and bounds better than most things at slow speeds , though)

As for the handling on my RWD non-plus suspension 19" coiled S60, I have to say I'm not a fan, but then I have come from 2 seater sports cars as daily drivers, not performance 5 doors. It's safe and predictable, but not engaging.

Personally I find the car a fantastic way to get to work and back, and make light work of 200 mile trips.

The more I drive the car the more I forgive it it's faults. (And to be fair at one point I was tempted to get rid of it, but now I don't know what I will change it for)

FWIW In the period of most frustration I used the money I saved by getting the S60 vs the P85+ and bought another 2 seater ICE. On paper the ICE is much faster in all metrics (vs an S60), but at the legal limits on my typical commute I suspect the Tesla would leave it, especially at the lights. Winding UK B Roads, not so much ,the Tesla is a big car which is hard to place on our narrower lanes, and at least on 19s and all seasons, wouldn't stand a chance vs the Pirrelli Corsa summer tires and the near 2000lb weight difference. So now I have two cars that play to their individual strengths and overall from a resale position I'm also better off too.

Last edited:
@SMAC, I did 25k in my S60 and then I changed it for the same reasons you were thinking about changing yours. I wasn't going to get a new car but a chance conversation with WD resulted in an offer for my S60 and a deal was done.

What did I get? an S85 in red. It was 4 week old and in stock. The offer they gave me on mine was more than fair, so I got a November 15' car on a 65 plate with a bit more range, a bit more poke and only a few hundred miles on the clock for not a great deal of money. It also has AP.

Turned out to be the perfect solution, although the S60 was a lovely thing. I think it has now been sold on to a new lucky owner I understand

Now I can drive into London from Boston, and charge at Birchanger on the way back with over 50 miles in the tank and have a Whopper. My life is complete.

I still have to pinch myself this is all real.