Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Performance vs BMW M5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course the nice thing about the modern software industry is that if you feel stuck in an argument about whether the next version should be 2.0, 2.5, or 3.0, you can just completely change directions and call it Tesla XP, Tesla Snow Leopard, or whatever. I vote for next version of the Model S to be called Millenium Falcon, maybe Roadster could be called Landspeeder.

Thats the beauty of the Interwebs. It's totally up to you what you want to call it until it actually exists :p

Back to the topic. I posted this link in the Model S reviews thread, but I am reposting it here because the author specifically refutes the premise of this thread at the end of his review :)

http://www.windingroad.com/articles/reviews/driven-2012-tesla-model-s/

Here is the relevant paragraph -

"So, if you get the idea that we enjoyed our brief stint in the Model S, you’d be right. But, we need to leave you with an important thought. The Model S is basically a mid-sized luxury sedan with some sporty characteristics allowed by the EV drivetrain. It is not an M5 competitor. The Model S starts with the goal of being a car for people whose ideal focuses on comfort and tranquility, not involvement. If you think about it, the body control and drivetrain immediacy that sound sporty are also comfort improvements, because sloppiness is annoying and distracting. So, it may turn out that Tesla has built the ultimate Lexus. That would be a tremendous achievement for anyone, and is even more impressive for the first full car design from a new company. But don’t be confused, the Model S is not a Tesla Roadster with four doors."

That makes me wonder whether the author saw our thread, or if the comparison is one that naturally comes to mind, thanks to the fact that M5 is priced like MSp but clearly has top line performance numbers that are better, while also looking vulnerable to MSp in a turning race.

If you look at the meat of the comment though he isn't directly addressing performance measurements. The key word he uses is "involvement". M5 takes a lot of skill to maximize performance, while the Tesla is very sedate and requires little work from the driver to push to its limit. It's really an enthusiasts argument. Yes, Model S Performance is fast, but it's ice versus fire.

If you look at the meat of the comment though he isn't directly addressing performance measurements. The key word he uses is "involvement". M5 takes a lot of skill to maximize performance, while the Tesla is very sedate and requires little work from the driver to push to its limit. It's really an enthusiasts argument. Yes, Model S Performance is fast, but it's ice versus fire.

Yeah, it sounds to me like what I would refer to as the "gearhead" point of view, for lack of a better term. Almost like the comment that some don't like the Model S because it doesn't have that loud rumbly roar of a V8. Not sure of the usefulness of that argument though. I suppose it depends on your perspective. Is a manual tranny better than an auto? Depends on your perspective.

Right, so in order to be "worthy" the car has to have great potential but also miscellaneous shortcomings that can be successfully overcome by a skilled driver...

Without the sound/roar of the engine I can hear the speed from the wind, texture/grip of the road and focus on the efficiency of my turns. Coupled with lower CG, single foot driving and super stiff chassis it's moving closer to the ideal faster than ICE can.

Continuing on that line of thought...

"Compared to driving an equivalent high performance internal combustion engine vehicle, driving a Model S EV is far less taxing on the driver. In fact, it's so much less taxing that arguably it's a safety feature -- lightening the cognitive load on the driver. Perhaps insurance companies should consider offering a discount for this safety feature."

Too sedate huh?

Well it seems BMW don't agree because they recently announced that they were no longer going to offer manual transmission in their M series...

I would say most motorsports fans prefer classic cars due to their low tech nature. M5s will join this category very very soon.

I was looking forward to updates every Tuesday!!

Sorry to hear that!

Back in White Plains, just before the posts started, I talked to GeorgeB about it, and I asked if we could continue after the deliveries start and his response was along the lines of "Oh, I think we'll do one more". We did indeed get one recap post, and the language of that post and the penultimate post seem to indicate that's about it (on that anyway)