Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid Brakes Are Terrible!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One time under heavy braking they work. After that they suck. Tesla even offers CCBS but for those that brake more than once on the highway.

As I said

Car and Driver does repeated braking tests from 100 mph.

For your education: Short Stop: We've Added a New Brake Test to Our Repertoire

1680951083758.png

And anyway, a one time COLD STOP from highway speeds, is EXACTLY what a stock car should be optimized for. If you take your car to the track, change to track brake components -- on any car. But be careful as track pads usually suck when cold and your cold highway braking performance is likely to be WORSE.

Last edited:
One time under heavy braking they work. After that they suck. Tesla even offers CCBS but for those that brake more than once on the highway.

Car and Driver test is 6 consecutive braking events from 70 🤭. I have done autocross on the old lower temp pads and had no temp warning at all. There is videos in YouTube from Carmi Import Services doing multiple braking events with the old pads and it is fine. There way to much misinformation and the Plaid now comes with high temp pads so with that this thread becomes invalid.

Reactions: bhzmark and SO16
To each their own. I drove a buddy’s long range 2022 S recently and did some brake testing. He hasn’t done a thing to his brake setup. God it was bad. I was standing on the brakes and the car was gently slowing. A rear ender waiting to happen is what I told him.

I’m sure glad I did whatever I did to get my brakes to where they are now - yes all season tires or winter tires don’t help achieve “suck your face into the windshield” braking.

I tried Gloc’s GS1 pads to replace my 2021 oem pads. Then I tried NRS pads. I like NRS better. The piston cushions and pad shims do reduce some of the pedal travel.

I still don’t like the total amount of pedal travel needed to brake but I guess I have to live with that. Those caliper clips really leave way more gap than necessary between the pads and the rotor

To each their own. I drove a buddy’s long range 2022 S recently and did some brake testing. He hasn’t done a thing to his brake setup. God it was bad. I was standing on the brakes and the car was gently slowing. A rear ender waiting to happen is what I told him.

I’m sure glad I did whatever I did to get my brakes to where they are now - yes all season tires or winter tires don’t help achieve “suck your face into the windshield” braking.

I tried Gloc’s GS1 pads to replace my 2021 oem pads. Then I tried NRS pads. I like NRS better. The piston cushions and pad shims do reduce some of the pedal travel.

I still don’t like the total amount of pedal travel needed to brake but I guess I have to live with that. Those caliper clips really leave way more gap than necessary between the pads and the rotor
My 2022 plaid stock doesn’t do that at all.
Have you said anything to Tesla service about that?
Have you had your brakes checked for air?

My 2022 plaid stock doesn’t do that at all.
Have you said anything to Tesla service about that?
Have you had your brakes checked for air?
Air in the system doesn't decrease braking torque from the same pedal pressure. It just makes pedal go further, but if it doesn't come to the limiter - it still brakes the same with or without air.

And while I'm here - track pads with high friction coefficient easily have more cold friction than OEM Tesla pads at their best. Certainly, once track pads are hot - bite could be 2x more. But it's a myth that cold track pads are dangerous and not stopping the vehicle. Although some of track pads really bad when they wet.

Pads with high bite and especially track pads which change friction with temperature radically, might not be working well with ABS/TC program setup. It overbrakes, then overcorrects and never finds proper balance since it doesn't expect friction to be that high. That leads to worse results in stopping distance and traction control performance. But I don't have instrumental data to prove it. And it's not a complete disaster. But it's important to know that stock brake pads would be generally safer than any aftermarket for that reason.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
Air in the system doesn't decrease braking torque from the same pedal pressure. It just makes pedal go further, but if it doesn't come to the limiter - it still brakes the same with or without air.

And while I'm here - track pads with high friction coefficient easily have more cold friction than OEM Tesla pads at their best. Certainly, once track pads are hot - bite could be 2x more. But it's a myth that cold track pads are dangerous and not stopping the vehicle. Although some of track pads really bad when they wet.

Pads with high bite and especially track pads which change friction with temperature radically, might not be working well with ABS/TC program setup. It overbrakes, then overcorrects and never finds proper balance since it doesn't expect friction to be that high. That leads to worse results in stopping distance and traction control performance. But I don't have instrumental data to prove it. And it's not a complete disaster. But it's important to know that stock brake pads would be generally safer than any aftermarket for that reason.
Cold track pads aren’t dangerous? What are you smoking? I know tesla changed the ibooster so this is probably what he is dealing with in the first gen plaid.

Reactions: bhzmark
It is just another example of people talking at each other.

My experience is the brakes "felt" like crap but really stopped an enormous amount of mass in short order. Given I do not track 4800 lb electric cars, the brakes will do the job given I (1) really never use them and (2) know they will slow the monster down if needed. In short, perfect for the car as intended for 99% of street use.

Track it or try to beat on the brakes and you need something else. No biggie. Lots of options to choose from.

Sounds to me like both sides have a point but neither of those points point at the other side.

drove a buddy’s long range 2022 S recently and did some brake testing. He hasn’t done a thing to his brake setup. God it was bad. I was standing on the brakes and the car was gently slowing.
This is obviously inconsistent with published testing of the braking and other reports of people who own the cars and even routinely brake at the drag strip from 150 mph. So either your testing, or your reporting of your testing, or that one car, is defective.

Odd that people who changed their brake components feel the need to deny the published testing showing the superior stock braking performance of Plaid under the published testing scenarios. In case they need a reminder.

IMG_0022.png

Who me?
Thanks. I have been surprised they work as well as they do. Was kinda prepared for the soft sponge 🧽 you described. Mine luckily doesn’t do that.
good. I was thinking that i have been having the wrong argument here. And that is where both sides of the argument have been passing each other.

So I’ll try I to recalibrate the point I have been trying to make. The oem brakes do indeed stop the car well from 70ish mph . That was never my problem.

My problem was stopping it from 100mph. I’m not even talking on the track. I’m just talking on the interstate. it is very easy to get the plaid up above 100mph on the regular interstate when overtaking. The car is also so stable at 100+ that you don’t realize you’re fast u til you see the 3 digits on the speedometer. Atlanta’s interstates are 5 lane mini talladegas so it happens more often than usual.

The few times I had to slam on the brakes when I was dangerously fast, I realized that “oh sh1t” was happening a bit more than I’d like. I ran the car around in chill mode for a week after and realized I was being an idiot. So operation brake overhaul happened.

I think oem brakes work just fine if you’re putzing around town or occasionally cross 70mph.