Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid Brakes Are Terrible!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A591D46B-DF0F-4729-B948-F297D4A5817F.jpeg

Now I’m done. 😂

Hi Everyone,

We opted to go for the 400mm rather than 380mm because it will be very rare for anyone to use 19" wheels who are serious about performance, and for the tiny additional cost, it makes more sense to fit the largest rotor possible as we're talking about a 1000hp vehicle here! We'd also like to add additional thickness to the disc but need to be careful as the caliper wasn't designed for a wide rotor and some rubbing after thermal expansion could be possible if we push our luck too much.

Guy's,

I did not understand the statement about anyone serious would not go with 19's.

I have almost all of your suspension parts on my M3P for autocross, and run 18 x 10.5s.

On the Plaid, if I do get it set up for our autocross and round course, the only tires I would plan to use would be Hoosier's. Although there are some options in 20s, they are much better options in 19's. I do not plan to run stock calipers, so I am hopeful there is an after market BBK where 19's will fit. Not necessarily the OEM 19's. I would like to run 19x11 or 19x11.5 all around with -3 caliber on the front and 315 Hoosiers.

Ok, weird result. Sounds like a box of rocks when I’m free wheeling. Could it be the seals haven’t let the pistons advance and the pads are rattling in the free space?

Is there some sort of active-pullback on the brake booster or ABS side? Normally you drop enough pressure but I doubt the springs would push the pistons that far on their own.

(Dislcaimer: still have springs, never looked closely at the S LR brakes, etc)

Reactions: impastu
I'm thinking of trying out some new brake pads from EBC or Racing Brake in the interim... if that doesnt help, then I'll think of a brake kit...

Does EBC have a pad yet for the Plaid?

On their website, you can select 2021 and it lists part numbers. But the part numbers are all the same as the 2017-20 Model S. So it does not appear that they have a pad yet available.

Reactions: impastu
I live off a highway where 150mph runs can be done over and over easily and from my experience with many runs under my belt on this car, the stock brake pads and rotors and pressure feel is terrible.. I can over heat and fade them easily after 1 hard stop from 140.. and on regular streets I need 2x the stopping distance for quick pulls to 60..

The thing is, the brakes are actually strong.. its the crap rotors which over heat and the pad material is very soft and does not withstand a high temp at all combined with regular brake fluid which quickly boils.. its a terrible combo.. Also ill mention that since im doing high speed stops... im usually already coasting at a high rate of speed, so there isnt any pre-heating of the brake from accelerations..

Upgraded rotors, some stainless lines, some castrol srf brake fluid and proper high temp pads will make this car stop great..

So the true answer.. yes the brakes are good and strong.. no they do not hold up at all for the 4800 lbs and 1000hp this car is.
Most daily drivers of the car wont care or have an issue.. but if your drive hard, do a lot of high speed runs or any tracking you will def want to upgrade..

I find most factory brakes on cars are good enough once a proper pad, and fluid is installed...and yes in stock form they are about as bad as a Toyota Camry

In comparison, I drove a Model 3 Dual Motor locked in normal mode and beat the crap out of it for a month.. the Oem brakes were "Excellent" in comparison to this Plaid. Tight, great pedal feel and stopped on a dime.. The Plaid feels like I have the brakes of a school bus pedal basically to the floor before any real pressure is felt and then they melt almost instantly under duress... I brake significantly earlier than I need too and have been very gentle on the brakes until upgrades come out..

* 15 years track experience + instructor status, extreme canyon racing, 36 cars and countless custom brake kit setups is my background...

Last edited:
I live off a highway where 150mph runs can be done over and over easily and from my experience with many runs under my belt on this car, the stock brake pads and rotors and pressure feel is terrible.. I can over heat and fade them easily after 1 hard stop from 140.. and on regular streets I need 2x the stopping distance for quick pulls to 60..

The thing is, the brakes are actually strong.. its the crap rotors which over heat and the pad material is very soft and does not withstand a high temp at all combined with regular brake fluid which quickly boils.. its a terrible combo.. Also ill mention that since im doing high speed stops... im usually already coasting at a high rate of speed, so there isnt any pre-heating of the brake from accelerations..

Upgraded rotors, some stainless lines, some castrol srf brake fluid and proper high temp pads will make this car stop great..

So the true answer.. yes the brakes are good and strong.. no they do not hold up at all for the 4800 lbs and 1000hp this car is.
Most daily drivers of the car wont care or have an issue.. but if your drive hard, do a lot of high speed runs or any tracking you will def want to upgrade..

I find most factory brakes on cars are good enough once a proper pad, and fluid is installed...and yes in stock form they are about as bad as a Toyota Camry

In comparison, I drove a Model 3 Dual Motor locked in normal mode and beat the crap out of it for a month.. the Oem brakes were "Excellent" in comparison to this Plaid. Tight, great pedal feel and stopped on a dime.. The Plaid feels like I have the brakes of a school bus pedal basically to the floor before any real pressure is felt and then they melt almost instantly under duress... I brake significantly earlier than I need too and have been very gentle on the brakes until upgrades come out..

* 15 years track experience + instructor status, extreme canyon racing, 36 cars and countless custom brake kit setups is my background...
Many of us agree with you 100%. I will let everyone know by Thanksgiving holiday weekend what the difference is with the RB drilled/slotted brake rotor/pad kit. btw - I'm in your area. ;)

Many of us agree with you 100%. I will let everyone know by Thanksgiving holiday weekend what the difference is with the RB drilled/slotted brake rotor/pad kit. btw - I'm in your area. ;)
U doing them yourself? If so, we can do them at the hangar if you want.

If you are, be careful torquing the caliper bolts. They felt “soft” to me which made me think Tesla tapped the raw casting and did not use an insert.