Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid huge depreciation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It already costs less than that if your income qualifies for the $7500 tax credit.

Only the Model X 5-seat get the tax credit and will cost ($79,990 - $7,500) = $72,490

The Model S LR is $74,990 as it doesn't qualify, because I think it is considered as a sedan (?).

However, depending of you state residency you might get additional tax saving, like $6,000 in Colorado.

Last edited:
How are you liking your plaid in comparison to M3P?

With S price drop, I am now considering SP, but have been waiting for MP3 highland.

New 3P may be extra special, according to some reviewers, since it is not yet available in the markets with the other trim levels.

My experience has been less than ideal. The model is notorious for tire problems, particularly with the 21-inch wheels. I've had to get it serviced five times and have replaced the tires on multiple occasions. I've successfully applied for a lemon law claim and am currently awaiting the title transfer. Overall, Plaid hasn't been a good fit for me.

My experience has been less than ideal. The model is notorious for tire problems, particularly with the 21-inch wheels. I've had to get it serviced five times and have replaced the tires on multiple occasions. I've successfully applied for a lemon law claim and am currently awaiting the title transfer. Overall, Plaid hasn't been a good fit for me.
What do you plan on replacing with?

What do you plan on replacing with?

I'm contemplating holding off for the Highland, as it closely resembles the Model S in many ways. The main differences are that the Model S offers more space and a heads-up display. However, the Model S is also reasonably priced. I'm thinking about delaying my vehicle purchase until I have the funds from the buyback.

The process has been quite drawn out so far, due to factors like the service manager relocating and a new lienholder taking over my title, both of which have caused unexpected delays in the DMV process that I can't quite grasp.

Interesting, you bought a used Model S and you’re submitting for a buy back. That’s a new one.

It already costs less than that if your income qualifies for the $7500 tax credit.
I can't believe how many people keep getting this wrong. Sedans do NOT qualify for tax credit unless they are priced at 55K or less, hence the Model S will never ever get there. Only SUV EVs get 7,500 at the 80K threshold. Plus, most likely Tesla will lose half of the the tax credit anyway as the government starting 2024 has more strict requirements for the battery materials and it's sources that falls outside what Tesla is using. Unless they make a change, as clearly also mentioned on the Tesla website, they might lose the tax credit along with several other manufacturers. The government will only offer all of this for a finite time.

Critical Minerals: To be eligible for the $3,750 critical minerals portion of the tax credit, the percentage of the value of the battery’s critical minerals that are extracted or processed in the United States or a U.S. free-trade agreement partner or recycled in North America, must meet or exceed the following thresholds:

YearCritical minerals minimum percent value requirement
202340%
202450%
202560%
202670%
2027 and later 80%

Battery Components: To be eligible for the $3,750 battery components portion of the tax credit, the percentage of the value of the battery’s components that are manufactured or assembled in North America must meet or exceed the following thresholds:

YearBattery components minimum percent value requirement
202350%
2024 and 2025 60%
202670%
202780%
202890%
2029 and later 100%

I'm contemplating holding off for the Highland, as it closely resembles the Model S in many ways. The main differences are that the Model S offers more space and a heads-up display. However, the Model S is also reasonably priced. I'm thinking about delaying my vehicle purchase until I have the funds from the buyback.

The process has been quite drawn out so far, due to factors like the service manager relocating and a new lienholder taking over my title, both of which have caused unexpected delays in the DMV process that I can't quite grasp.
a heads-up display.

Did I miss something?

Been driving a loaner y while my ride is at TSC getting the ceramic brakes installed.

The y is ALL the car one would ever need, but for darn sure it is no MS Plaid. Faaaaaarrrrr from it. If not for the MSP, I wouldn’t be driving a Tesla period.

Once the other makes catch up in a few years, there’s very little chance I’d get back into a Tesla after this pricing exercise. Left a bad taste in my mouth.

Reactions: TessP100D
Been driving a loaner y while my ride is at TSC getting the ceramic brakes installed.

The y is ALL the car one would ever need, but for darn sure it is no MS Plaid. Faaaaaarrrrr from it. If not for the MSP, I wouldn’t be driving a Tesla period.

Once the other makes catch up in a few years, there’s very little chance I’d get back into a Tesla after this pricing exercise. Left a bad taste in my mouth.
You would still find other cars to look goofy compared to Tesla… Maybe am still in the honey moon months, but, I have never ever driven a car that turns heads like the Model S especially when it has the right look, wheels and color. Aaand, this is coming from someone who has been riding BMW 7-series cars, S-class, X7 M-varian/styling, etc….for the past 10 years. Maybe Tesla MS are more common in other areas and won’t turn heads… but even setting behind the steering wheel is a pleasure….. The software, Tesla will continue to lead that front for a VERY LONG TIME… Having been in BMWs and Mbenz for the past 18 years, the software development pace has not moved even a tiny bit since 2008-2010 on all these models. The best they have done is a nicer resolution on screens wherein the software still sucks and I don’t see them getting even close to Tesla anytime soon. I got a new Model S for low 80s when the Model S LR was on a 9K discount, so the recent price drop has beaten me up by about 5K only which is fine to digest.. so I can speak to how hard of a feeling I would have had if I lost 40K like some of you.

My point is, even in the near future, you will find other EVs to look foogy, and stupid software wise…… I gave up the drive luxury comfort to get a high tech Model S, and I think it was well worth it and likely the nicest car and best investment (spiritually) I have had ever made …. Plus if the prices have dropped, why not enjoy the new low prices? Nothing changed!!! U sell ur car for way less money but u also upgrade to a newer one for less money… ur out of pocket to upgrade is still the same, so why is that a problem?

Silly question - is the Plaid much different from the LR S 2023? Is there addditional differences? Planning to test drive a Tesla MS with 21 inch tires and 19 inch.

I don’t understand how Tesla devalues its brand by getting more customers and happier ones at that
LMFAO !! Are you for real? If you bought something at 100k last year and now it is 50k where your neighbor bought a diffrent 100k item that is now worth 80k? Which one is more valuable !?!

Tesla was considered a good choice because it held its value better than other cars. Not anymore 🤣🤣

LMFAO !! Are you for real? If you bought something at 100k last year and now it is 50k where your neighbor bought a diffrent 100k item that is now worth 80k? Which one is more valuable !?!

Tesla was considered a good choice because it held its value better than other cars. Not anymore 🤣🤣
Still not sure how Tesla brand is getting devalued! There maybe a few upset customers who bought at a higher price point, but, there will be a lot more happier customers who appreciate lower prices.

I guess it’s an easy guess who is in which category. Don’t get me wrong, I’m also not too happy about my car purchase back in 2020, I paid 83K, weeks later same car was selling for 69,420 🙂

You would still find other cars to look goofy compared to Tesla… Maybe am still in the honey moon months, but, I have never ever driven a car that turns heads like the Model S especially when it has the right look, wheels and color. Aaand, this is coming from someone who has been riding BMW 7-series cars, S-class, X7 M-varian/styling, etc….for the past 10 years. Maybe Tesla MS are more common in other areas and won’t turn heads… but even setting behind the steering wheel is a pleasure….. The software, Tesla will continue to lead that front for a VERY LONG TIME… Having been in BMWs and Mbenz for the past 18 years, the software development pace has not moved even a tiny bit since 2008-2010 on all these models. The best they have done is a nicer resolution on screens wherein the software still sucks and I don’t see them getting even close to Tesla anytime soon. I got a new Model S for low 80s when the Model S LR was on a 9K discount, so the recent price drop has beaten me up by about 5K only which is fine to digest.. so I can speak to how hard of a feeling I would have had if I lost 40K like some of you.

My point is, even in the near future, you will find other EVs to look foogy, and stupid software wise…… I gave up the drive luxury comfort to get a high tech Model S, and I think it was well worth it and likely the nicest car and best investment (spiritually) I have had ever made …. Plus if the prices have dropped, why not enjoy the new low prices? Nothing changed!!! U sell ur car for way less money but u also upgrade to a newer one for less money… ur out of pocket to upgrade is still the same, so why is that a problem?
I respectfully disagree, the Porsche Taycan in carmine red is just stunning. Maybe I’m just jaded with the model s but the Taycan looks better.

Reactions: StevenSD
Still not sure how Tesla brand is getting devalued! There maybe a few upset customers who bought at a higher price point, but, there will be a lot more happier customers who appreciate lower prices.

I guess it’s an easy guess who is in which category. Don’t get me wrong, I’m also not too happy about my car purchase back in 2020, I paid 83K, weeks later same car was selling for 69,420 🙂

I think it trains buyers to make sure they only buy after very large prices drops. If I were buying now because of the price drop, I'd only ever buy again after another really large price drop.

I think it trains buyers to make sure they only buy after very large prices drops.
If I were buying now because of the price drop, I'd only ever buy again after another really large price drop.

Most buyers get a car because they need one quickly, to replace a previous one, to get a second car because of new job situation or a new baby...
So those buyers will be in the market for a short time, maybe be they will be willing to wait for the order to get delivered.

But if you buy only after waiting for a price drop, the car you try to sell will certainly get a price drop too.
The same was not too long time ago when new car price were continually going up, and used car price were going up too.
So I don't see any recommended strategy, like some buyers will be waiting for ever for some new feature or improvement.

Reactions: Jpandes
Most buyers get a car because they need one quickly, to replace a previous one, to get a second car because of new job situation or a new baby...
So those buyers will be in the market for a short time, maybe be they will be willing to wait for the order to get delivered.

But if you buy only after waiting for a price drop, the car you try to sell will certainly get a price drop too.
The same was not too long time ago when new car price were continually going up, and used car price were going up too.
So I don't see any recommended strategy, like some buyers will be waiting for ever for some new feature or improvement.

I agree with the first sentence of your statement, but NOT when it comes to more expensive vehicles. The buyer that is in the market for a Model S probably has a garage and probably has multiple cars and will not be desperate to replace the car that just broke down or reached the end of its useful life. On the flip side, they may be an impulse buyer that doesn't care about price either because they suck at finances or were incredibly good with finances.

The second sentence also doesn't apply because although you might see similar percentage declines with the used vehicle dropping percentage wise similarly to the new vehicle, the difference in actual dollars is far larger with the new car vs the used car so it still makes sense to wait for the large price drop, sell your used Tesla, and then buy a new Tesla.

As a 22 plaid x owner who took a nice bath in resale value, I personally have a devalued car but tesla as a brand just became more competitive in the marketplace. As more EVs join the market, I figure they’ll get more aggressive with their costs. They have one of the highest profit margins in the industry so they have some room to play with. It’s all about pricing the current market. Market was hot when I bought, interest rates were essentially giving me money so im not that overly upset. Plus looking long term, if for whatever reason, this car in 3-4 years becomes a $20k rocket ship then I’ll just drive it into the ground. But if the value goes back up and my residual is normalized again, then I’ll sell.

LMFAO !! Are you for real? If you bought something at 100k last year and now it is 50k
where your neighbor bought a diffrent 100k item that is now worth 80k? Which one is more valuable !?!

Those price changes, especially price cuts, must make crazy the leasing companies
which are not able to predict the residual value of a car at the end of the lease term