Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid range discussion.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a thread around here I'm struggling to find, but it basically states how the percentage for SoC and range are calculated.
The high level version is, time will increase accuracy.
The computer needs ~3hrs without you touching the car or sentry mode to run a test to understand how the battery behaves. It needs to do this at various levels of charge. Try and leave your car over night at 20%, 40%, 60%, and 80% charge and see if the number comes back up. I think it will.

Remember, there's no straight forward way to measure a battery's State of Charge. It's all based on measuring voltage per given load over time and using an algorithm to make sense of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: cwanja and WhiteWi
I have 2 Audi E Trons and 1 Plaid. My wife’s round trip is 80 miles to work. The E Trons use right about that amount. The first time my wife drove the Plaid she used an indicated 140 miles. She was not impressed with the range.

Maybe a heavy window tint could help with using less A/C. So we have the same questions.
Yeah my wife drove my Tesla and used 200 miles for a 60 mile trip. I thought that was horrible until I pulled up Tessie and saw she did 115 all the way home. Point is, mileage is useless. What was the WH/Mile and what speed was she going...

If I do 80mph here in Florida on cruise, I get about 320/wh which is a fine number in my opinion.

Wonder if that drop is *real* or not. I do wish Tesla hadn’t abandoned the Plaid+, for the 520-mile range alone…
From what I've read, they're waiting to release that until 2024 when the next generation of lithium ion cell launches. For reference, our cars have 2170 cells which are about the best lithium ion battery you can get today. Tesla has the next gen design (4680) done and is working through manufacturing and validation. It should double the range and power density.
I'll likely try and sell my car strategically right before that ;-)

• Funny
Reactions: Maaz and Maximus023
From what I've read, they're waiting to release that until 2024 when the next generation of lithium ion cell launches. For reference, our cars have 2170 cells which are about the best lithium ion battery you can get today. Tesla has the next gen design (4680) done and is working through manufacturing and validation. It should double the range and power density.
I'll likely try and sell my car strategically right before that ;-)

I thought only the Model 3/Y has 2170. Think the S is still 18650, no?

I just did a short 8.5 mile drive with autopilot on for 95% of the trip and Tessie rated it at 308 Wh/mi (91% range efficiency). I was in Plaid mode the entire time as well. Not bad eh?
If you drive judiciously (there's a term your grandmother would love) as I do now, you should get a lot more range. I have a P100D and I've gotten over the launches and have been more interested in MPGe. To that end, if you want more range, you have to play the game. You watch your gauge that shows orange/green, and when you can, try to "glide" if you're not on the highway. That's a term used by hybrid users than means you feather the accelerator so that you are neither using or regenerating power. When you are coming to a stop that is 1/2 mile or 3/4 mile away, again feather your accelerator so that you are in the green just a little bit as you slow down over that distance. You recoup more energy from the inertia of the car slowing down this way over a longer time period with less regeneration, instead of waiting until you are 100' from the stop and lifting off the accelerator completely for max regeneration. Using these methods, I regularly get 130-140 MPGe, which equates on my car to close to 390 miles per charge. I have had a personal best of 160 MPGe. As my car was only rated at 315 when new, this is a huge improvement in range. As the Plaid version is much more efficient, I'd be curious to know what effective range one could get using these techniques with that car? Of course, the acceleration of the Plaid is probably still too tempting for current owners to try to "glide" and recoup more energy. Also, the tire pressure plays a HUGE part in efficiency. I recommend owners check their tire pressure weekly and keep it at maximum recommended pressure as much as possible. I've noticed a drop of as much as 3% in efficiency rendered with as little as 1 psi under the recommended cold tire pressure. YMMV. I know some people will be skeptical of these numbers, so I have attached two photos obtained by my app "Stats". Notice the rated range vs the estimated range?
IMG_0341.PNG
IMG_0227.PNG

Reactions: WhiteWi
If you drive judiciously (there's a term your grandmother would love) as I do now, you should get a lot more range. I have a P100D and I've gotten over the launches and have been more interested in MPGe. To that end, if you want more range, you have to play the game. You watch your gauge that shows orange/green, and when you can, try to "glide" if you're not on the highway. That's a term used by hybrid users than means you feather the accelerator so that you are neither using or regenerating power. When you are coming to a stop that is 1/2 mile or 3/4 mile away, again feather your accelerator so that you are in the green just a little bit as you slow down over that distance. You recoup more energy from the inertia of the car slowing down this way over a longer time period with less regeneration, instead of waiting until you are 100' from the stop and lifting off the accelerator completely for max regeneration. Using these methods, I regularly get 130-140 MPGe, which equates on my car to close to 390 miles per charge. I have had a personal best of 160 MPGe. As my car was only rated at 315 when new, this is a huge improvement in range. As the Plaid version is much more efficient, I'd be curious to know what effective range one could get using these techniques with that car? Of course, the acceleration of the Plaid is probably still too tempting for current owners to try to "glide" and recoup more energy. Also, the tire pressure plays a HUGE part in efficiency. I recommend owners check their tire pressure weekly and keep it at maximum recommended pressure as much as possible. I've noticed a drop of as much as 3% in efficiency rendered with as little as 1 psi under the recommended cold tire pressure. YMMV. I know some people will be skeptical of these numbers, so I have attached two photos obtained by my app "Stats". Notice the rated range vs the estimated range?View attachment 701676View attachment 701678
That is pretty impressive! I too want to see how much MPGe I can get out of my Plaid, but like you said I'm still tempted by it's raw power. I always thought, wouldn't it be more efficient if the Tesla coasted when letting off the accelerator and only started regenerating when using the brakes kind of like the Taycan? My car is currently in the shop getting the whole PPF, ceramic, tint treatment so I won't be able to gather any more stats for a few days : (

BTW, what app are you using? Thanks.

That is pretty impressive! I too want to see how much MPGe I can get out of my Plaid, but like you said I'm still tempted by it's raw power. I always thought, wouldn't it be more efficient if the Tesla coasted when letting off the accelerator and only started regenerating when using the brakes kind of like the Taycan? My car is currently in the shop getting the whole PPF, ceramic, tint treatment so I won't be able to gather any more stats for a few days : (

BTW, what app are you using? Thanks.
As stated, the app is called "stats" and is available on the Apple App Store. I would think it would also be available for those using Androids, but I can't verify that.

Yes. I don’t see anything like that range number reflected, sadly. 😞 You have a pic of what you see? And also what software version are you on?

First pic is at 90%, second at 100%. Sometimes its +- 1 mi. It was 348 earlier and now its 347 🤷‍♂️ Software version of the app is 3.10.14 (540f6f430). And yes, sadly I only have 138 miles on my Tesla. I haven't been able to drive it much😭

Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 11.13.47 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
First pic is at 90%, second at 100%. Sometimes its +- 1 mi. It was 348 earlier and now its 347 🤷‍♂️ Software version of the app is 3.10.14 (540f6f430). And yes, sadly I only have 138 miles on my Tesla. I haven't been able to drive it much😭

View attachment 701683
Thank you for that. So you’re still on 2021.12.4.9 like me. I’ll have to check my car again today since the new Tesla 4.0 software for iPhone that was released yesterday is very different and doesn’t report the same way as the old one. Yesterday my 100% was 317 miles, which is crazy for a car with a little over 500 miles. I charged to 100% and drove some last night so we’ll see what the car actually says in a bit.

Reactions: Maximus023