Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid range discussion.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2 Audi E Trons and 1 Plaid. My wife’s round trip is 80 miles to work. The E Trons use right about that amount. The first time my wife drove the Plaid she used an indicated 140 miles. She was not impressed with the range.

Maybe a heavy window tint could help with using less A/C. So we have the same questions.

If you expect efficiency you're not going to see it with 21's and squared edge tires

Reactions: WhiteWi
Thank you for that. So you’re still on 2021.12.4.9 like me. I’ll have to check my car again today since the new Tesla 4.0 software for iPhone that was released yesterday is very different and doesn’t report the same way as the old one. Yesterday my 100% was 317 miles, which is crazy for a car with a little over 500 miles. I charged to 100% and drove some last night so we’ll see what the car actually says in a bit.
I just got the new app (weird)! Had to check the App Store manually and boom there it was. Now it says 311 for 90% and 345 for 100%. New app is clean btw.

Yeah my wife drove my Tesla and used 200 miles for a 60 mile trip. I thought that was horrible until I pulled up Tessie and saw she did 115 all the way home. Point is, mileage is useless. What was the WH/Mile and what speed was she going...

If I do 80mph here in Florida on cruise, I get about 320/wh which is a fine number in my opinion.

115? Tell her to keep her slow butt in the right lane. 🙂

• Funny
Reactions: Decibelle
FINALLY took delivery of our red 19" Plaid yesterday! Left the Portland OR SC with 333 mile on range estimate. I can't envision using a supercharger ever again. We don't do trips and using a ICE truck for the last couple of months has killed any desire to stop anywhere to refill anything. First home charge last night stopped at 351! It's set at the last line before trip charge. Not sure what % that is, 80 or 90%

Not sure how we're gonna use the 1000 referral miles.

That's ridiculous. Hard to believe. Do you leave it in sentry mode when you park it?
I do have sentry mode enabled and I find myself constantly checking the car in both the Tesla app and Tessie…
Pretty sure Sentry is bugged on the 2021.12.4.9 software. I lost almost 5% battery being parked for 4-5 hours a few nights ago.
I'll have to disable sentry mode when I'm at home and see how fast it goes down with it off. Perhaps it is bugged if you lost that much in only 4-5 hours! I'm on the same software version.

Also it's at the shop and the frunk has been open for the past couple days…

I do have sentry mode enabled and I find myself constantly checking the car in both the Tesla app and Tessie…

I'll have to disable sentry mode when I'm at home and see how fast it goes down with it off. Perhaps it is bugged if you lost that much in only 4-5 hours! I'm on the same software version.

Also it's at the shop and the frunk has been open for the past couple days…
You just answered your own question about why you loose 10% a day. Turn off sentry mode for home and work locations and don’t check your car every other minute, hour or whatever. My Teslas don’t loose more than 1% a day. Must add that my cabin overheat protection is off as well.

Last edited:
You just answered your own question about why you loose 10% a day. Turn off sentry mode for home and work locations and don’t check your car every other minute, hour or whatever. My Teslas don’t loose more than 1% a day.
I was afraid of that. Can't believe sentry uses that much battery, but I guess it's operating and recording 4 different cameras all the time. 1% loss a day is great. Thanks!

• Love
Reactions: WhiteWi
Oof. My Plaid is now down to 309 miles at full charge based on the best-case range scenario.

Just sad.

Attachments

• 092C97D0-5231-4DF4-A64A-A0851FCB2F47.png
    092C97D0-5231-4DF4-A64A-A0851FCB2F47.png
    75.4 KB · Views: 124
Schedule appt with SC? I'd love to hear what they say when you set it up. Don't worry or we'll get to you asap.

Third 80% charge today. 351 each time. I did the last on a supercharger. I want to wait a few months before I do a 100% charge. Plaid on 19"ers

Oh yea we were down to 130 miles when we hit the charger. We got back to 351 in about 20 minutes! We've not been supercharger users (90D and P85) but we never recharged this fast.

Last edited:
Schedule appt with SC? I'd love to hear what they say when you set it up. Don't worry or we'll get to you asap.

Third 80% charge today. 351 each time. I did the last on a supercharger. I want to wait a few months before I do a 100% charge. Plaid on 19"ers

Oh yea we were down to 130 miles when we hit the charger. We got back to 351 in about 20 minutes! We've not been supercharger users (90D and P85) but we never recharged this fast.

I already have it notated. It's just annoying that this car is so bugged out of the box. So many small/big issues (for me, anyway).

Be interesting to see others' range here.
Just adding some data to this thread. I posted the following efficiency and range data in another thread. The other day, I returned from a three day trip to the ocean. See “Trip A” for performance data. I was on Sport acceleration, comfort suspension and drove 60-74 mph 60% of the time. The balance was local driving (25-45 mph). I used AC and heat, and am running factory 19s on my Plaid. Imputed range for this usage is 351 miles on a full charge.

Attachments

• 6191DBA7-4F49-4BCD-A1F0-80154AF058C7.jpeg
    6191DBA7-4F49-4BCD-A1F0-80154AF058C7.jpeg
    613.5 KB · Views: 103
Reactions: planetary