Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid range discussion.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Man I'm so sorry about this. It will get better!

Apparently nope, it just gets worse. Now reporting 295 miles possible at full charge. Sigh...

Attachments

• BB8FD7A7-8942-46C4-8AE9-A75DDC2AADEE_1_201_a.jpeg
    BB8FD7A7-8942-46C4-8AE9-A75DDC2AADEE_1_201_a.jpeg
    124.4 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Apparently nope, it just gets worse. Now reporting 295 miles possible at full charge. Sigh...
Don’t trust what the app says. It can be way off. My model 3 can show a 20 mile range difference for what’s predicted on the app vs. what it actually changes to. Charge up to 100%. Also turn off sentry mode at home and don’t check in on the car all the time.

Don’t trust what the app says. It can be way off. My model 3 can show a 20 mile range difference for what’s predicted on the app vs. what it actually changes to. Charge up to 100%. Also turn off sentry mode at home and don’t check in on the car all the time.
Well. I just woke up to check how my 90% charge was going. Turns out not well! It had stopped at around 83% and was turning on and off and on for hours based on my camera in the garage. I could hear the click of the charger over and over and over, and the beeping inside the car. Turns out it’s this error which:

1.) I can’t find anywhere with a search.
2.) Means I’m at my wits’ end.

Attachments

• E691CC13-2C53-4D9F-96A9-6109703E560C.jpeg
    E691CC13-2C53-4D9F-96A9-6109703E560C.jpeg
    260 KB · Views: 106
Well. I just woke up to check how my 90% charge was going. Turns out not well! It had stopped at around 83% and was turning on and off and on for hours based on my camera in the garage. I could hear the click of the charger over and over and over, and the beeping inside the car. Turns out it’s this error which:

1.) I can’t find anywhere with a search.
2.) Means I’m at my wits’ end.
It appears to be an issue with your charger (or outlet). You could try a Tesla destination charger or public j-1772 charger nearby to confirm. If that works then it’s something wrong with your charger at home.

Supercharging is DC, not AC so that won’t be of benefit to narrow down the problem.

It appears to be an issue with your charger (or outlet). You could try a Tesla destination charger or public j-1772 charger nearby to confirm. If that works then it’s something wrong with your charger at home.

Supercharging is DC, not AC so that won’t be of benefit to narrow down the problem.
My money is not on the charger. Take a look here at my expanded post:

My money is not on the charger. Take a look here at my expanded post:

How long will you wait before setting up SC appointment?

To be fair, he’s on 21s which is only rated for 348 miles…

Again, the issue is not the rated range so much as the ACTUAL range when driving gently on flat roads. Energy usage in the trip meter isn’t reflecting accurately in the percentage of battery left. I should not be using 34% of my battery driving 69 miles at an average of 55mph, when energy consumed is only 21kWh. I’m on target to barely clear 200 miles fully charged.

Has anyone confirmed the actual battery size in these new cars? Motortrend states 100kWh, but I’m dubious unless a software update comes out to resolve my pitiful range.

For the record my plaid behaving the exact same way. Im reading my way through this thread, so I'm on #7 now. I came here to see what other's are seeing.
Im going to read on and comment more in a few.

Edit: OK Im back. @WilliamG I am seeing the exact same behavior. When I calculate my battery rated range to my % my car tops out at 309 miles. I have 19's (far as the car is concerned)
I too have weird charging behavior. Every night since I took delivery the car charges 8-12% more than my charge level setting. So for now I have it at 80% cause I do not want it to sit at a high state of charge.

Even though my wh/mi are relatively (low 300's) low, the car is blazing through the battery % as if it's a REALLY small battery.

Today my car took the latest update. 32.5, so I'm hoping this has some sort of BMS update on it so that the car will behave.
@omarsultan , what has been your experience with actual consumption?

Last edited:
For the record my plaid behaving the exact same way. Im reading my way through this thread, so I'm on #7 now. I came here to see what other's are seeing.
Im going to read on and comment more in a few.

My issues got crazy. Do read on... Look at my max rated range. :( What do you see as your max rated range? Change the Display settings in your car to "Miles" and then drag the slider in the app to 100% to see what it thinks the car is going to hit.

Attachments

• 1630460285182.jpeg
    1630460285182.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 98
My issues got crazy. Do read on... Look at my max rated range. :( What do you see as your max rated range? Change the Display settings in your car to "Miles" and then drag the slider in the app to 100% to see what it thinks the car is going to hit.
I edited my post, see above

I edited my post, see above

Oh wow. That's EXACTLY my issue. Let's stay in contact about this one, because something is really, really messed up with our cars. Can you post a photo from your app showing the max charge? Really sorry this is happening to us - we're in the minority... :(

Actually, your range is even worse than mine since you're on 19s. Jeez. You're missing 25% (!!) of your range, but I'm 99.9999999% sure our issues are the same. @jebinc , for example, has a 406-mile reported range on 19s. Something is just not right...

Can you post that screenshot from the app of the charge slider moved all the way to 100%, and the rated range in miles?

Last edited:
Reactions: jebinc
Oh wow. That's EXACTLY my issue. Let's stay in contact about this one, because something is really, really messed up with our cars. Can you post a photo from your app showing the max charge? Really sorry this is happening to us - we're in the minority... :(

Actually, your range is even worse than mine since you're on 19s. Jeez. You're missing 25% (!!) of your range, but I'm 99.9999999% sure our issues are the same. @jebinc , for example, has a 406-mile reported range on 19s. Something is just not right...

Can you post that screenshot from the app of the charge slider moved all the way to 100%, and the rated range in miles?
Here they are with 19's and 21's
IMG_4331.jpegIMG_4328.jpeg

Im actually not terribly worried about it. Im sure it's a software issue.

• Helpful
Reactions: WilliamG and jebinc
Updated to 2021.32.5 This morning's 80% charge was 356 miles, up from the previous 351 (last three charges). 19" Plaid

It took a few years before our 2013 P85 started to lose daily range charge levels. Same on our 2017 90D. Neither was an especially drastic drop when it occured. Never paid any attention to the trip levels.

We'll see how long this lasts.