Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid range discussion.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WilliamG

Hinge Fanatic
Apr 20, 2019
Seattle, WA
What are you all seeing for range with the new Model S Plaid? I’m seeing pretty terrible range in mine (21” wheels), at least if we go via the battery percentage drop.

e.g. I left the house at 93% (set to 90 but it charged to 93% because….buggy software or whatever). It dropped to 59% as I arrived home (34% used, therefore). After just 69 miles of driving like a grandma! Average over that 69 miles is 305Wh. And only 21kWh used. If 34% battery is 21kWh, the math doesn’t make sense that this is a 100kWh battery… I was parked with sentry on for about 3 hours before coming home.

Thoughts/data, anyone? If we go by kWh used I’m on target for ~340 miles for a full battery. Via the percentage display I’m only on target for a little over 200 miles. Something is not right here…

Last edited:
Reactions: Maximus023
Use search and read up about range. It has been discussed million times already.

I’m really not sure what you’re talking about. If you’re referring to the “miles remaining” inaccuracies, - yea this is well noted. I’m talking about battery percentage. I never had an issue with this for near 2.5 years with the Model 3 Performance. With the Model S it’s now a problem of some sort.

Wow that's way less than I expected 90% of 390 is more like 350. I know no one gets the advertised range but our P85 and 90D were closer. And of course everything varies quite a bit among all the different owners.

Thanks I'll post what we get after we take possession in a couple of days. Plaid 19"

Wow that's way less than I expected 90% of 390 is more like 350. I know no one gets the advertised range but our P85 and 90D were closer. And of course everything varies quite a bit among all the different owners.

Thanks I'll post what we get after we take possession in a couple of days. Plaid 19"

To be fair, he’s on 21s which is only rated for 348 miles…

Again, the issue is not the rated range so much as the ACTUAL range when driving gently on flat roads. Energy usage in the trip meter isn’t reflecting accurately in the percentage of battery left. I should not be using 34% of my battery driving 69 miles at an average of 55mph, when energy consumed is only 21kWh. I’m on target to barely clear 200 miles fully charged.

Has anyone confirmed the actual battery size in these new cars? Motortrend states 100kWh, but I’m dubious unless a software update comes out to resolve my pitiful range.

Not sure where the 348 is coming from The website shows 390 miles EPA for Plaid, 406 for LR. Was the 390 mile range for 19" only? I do understand your view of charge. I just don't use our cars that way and EV's are not sold that way. They are marketed on mileage range.

Owned a MS since 2012 and experienced the display vs real life left thing. I'm just interested in what to expect when I wake up every morning. Our 2017 90D started with 265-267 90% charge for the first year and dropped to 262 for the last 2 years. We rarely used more than 200 miles in daily driving. I know you can set it to miles or %.

• Funny
Reactions: WhiteWi
Not sure where the 348 is coming from The website shows 390 miles EPA for Plaid, 406 for LR. Was the 390 mile range for 19" only? I do understand your view of charge. I just don't use our cars that way and EV's are not sold that way. They are marketed on mileage range.

Owned a MS since 2012 and experienced the display vs real life left thing. I'm just interested in what to expect when I wake up every morning. Our 2017 90D started with 265-267 90% charge for the first year and dropped to 262 for the last 2 years. We rarely used more than 200 miles in daily driving. I know you can set it to miles or %.

The Plaid with 21" wheels is rated for 348 miles. If you change the wheel size in the configurator to 21", you'll see the range change. 396 miles is for the 19"-equipped model.

So 100% is 331 miles for me. So somehow already lost 17 miles, and not only that, my actual real-world range is about 210 miles. LOL! Love to see Tesla explain this one...

Attachments

• 1629754735269.png
    1629754735269.png
    58.2 KB · Views: 259
I'm hoping that this is just a combination of lead foot and software issues.

But clearly it's not lead foot. Per my first post, it's either a battery size discrepancy (i.e. these batteries are not 100kWh) or a software issue. 21kWh used can't equal 34% battery, as the car was indicating. I'm hopeful for a software update to address this, but who knows...

But clearly it's not lead foot. Per my first post, it's either a battery size discrepancy (i.e. these batteries are not 100kWh) or a software issue. 21kWh used can't equal 34% battery, as the car was indicating. I'm hopeful for a software update to address this, but who knows...
I was just willing to own some of the lower range. You are correct that the math does not add up. I just installed 2021.24.4 so will see if it is any better.

Holy moly, is there really a 12% hit to range with the 21s?

Seems like your battery is only ~62kwh usable if 34% consumption is 21kwh. Or if the battery is 100kwh, you actually used 34kwh and your efficiency was actually ~492wh/mi.

Only thing I can think of right now is that the BMS is confused on the true battery percentage. Draining the battery and refilling it may help it to calibrate properly. If you do this via a long trip, keep tabs on the navigation's trip estimator when starting out and what the battery percentage is predicted to be at the end. I find that the estimator is generally a bit pessimistic and I almost always end up with higher percentage at the end of the trip than was originally predicted.