Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Pole Crash.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Single car crashes are going to ruin Tesla for the rest of us. Wait until "someone" legislates disabling the 17" screen except for when the car is moving. Argh.
Where do you read that the screen had anything to do with this unfortunate crash.

The most important part of this "story" is that, not only did she survive but, IMO and not being there, a lot of other cars taking down that pole would be in a million pieces by now.

Where do you read that the screen had anything to do with this unfortunate crash.

@ sp4rk (and in defense of bollar) - one plays the odds when making judgment. I think if you were at the poker table, and the odds were laid down, you would bet on either situational unawareness or distraction as the numbers two and one in a short list. Sure, seizure, stroke, epileptic fit and even squirrel would be in the differential. But if there was a 17" touch screen at the scene or a cell phone ...

... I'm just sayin'

Notice I mentioned nothing about the demographics of the occupant of the car. Another day, another post.

Single car crashes are going to ruin Tesla for the rest of us. Wait until "someone" legislates disabling the 17" screen except for when the car is moving. Argh.

... This accident involved a young driver. She could have been txt messaging. I wouldn't start jumping to conclusions so quick.

Though I have to admit I'm a buttons and nobs kind of man. I like that tactile feedback. It's a lot easier to reach for that nob and blindly twist to adjust the AC temp settings than it is to feel the edge of the screen for things. You could argue that you could just get things done with voice controls. But if you're screaming down the road with life is a highway at 11, voice control totally kills the flow. I do tech integrations for docs in my day job, and many of these people are afraid of using iPads to replace the tactile feedback. Granted they are older physicians, so you could argue its a generational thing But I know a lot of people in their 30's who barely know how to use their iPhones/androids. I think the touch screen is slick, but that it also alienates a lot of potential buyers.

On a more on topic note, every time I see a MS wreck, I am amazed how well the S holds up. These things are bloody tanks!!! Oh, and I would certainly NOT give any young driver the FOB to P85... They'd have the FOB to a Leaf!!! But I am glad the driver survived. I am curious to see how we'll the S does with the IIHS tests.

Results (and videos) have been published. Five stars in every category, and one of the lowest (best) rollover scores ever recorded!

That's not IIHS.

You are talking about safercar.gov which is the governments safety ratings. IIHS does more rigorous tests (IMHO) They are totally different tests and have not been conducted/published yet. http://www.iihs.org/RATINGS/

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I would certainly NOT give any young driver the FOB to P85... They'd have the FOB to a Leaf!!! But I am glad the driver survived. I am curious to see how we'll the S does with the IIHS tests.
For some parents (the ones that can afford it), a 60 (or a 40 if they were in time) would be a smart move to protect their cherished child.

But yes, a P85 is asking for trouble.

Last edited:
They updated the article:

We have more news on the Tesla motorcar that wrecked on Thompson Lane Wednesday afternoon around 3. Murfreesboro Police have confirmed the woman driving the vehicle was charged with her first offense of DUI (Driving while Under the Influence). 34-year old Kimberly Jill Shibayama was also charged with Violation of Implied Consent when she reportedly refused to a blood alcohol test.What makes this story unique is the all electric car she was driving. The all electric four door Tesla she was operating was reportedly the only one of its kind in Rutherford County, TN. It is a luxury electric car that is sold for $70,000 to $120,000 depending on the model.
A Murfreesboro Police arrest report states that officers arrived at the scene of the crash and witnessed the utility pole was down. The car was about 100-feet away from the pole. When police talked to Shibayama about what caused the wreck she evidently told officers, "she was messing with the radio.” When Officer Martin asked for the suspects drivers license, she reportedly handed it to a fireman standing next to him, according to the report, instead of him.
The woman was taken to StoneCrest Medical Center in Smyrna and later released to police custody. At that point she was booked into the local jail under a $2,000 bond.

http://wgnsradio.com/update-expensi...urfreesboro-driver-charged-with-dui-cms-14372

By the sound of things the driver was completely ok, but driving drunk is not good....