TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S Pole Crash.

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Zas, Aug 14, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Zas

Zas Sig. Performance #2113

2. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

Single car crashes are going to ruin Tesla for the rest of us. Wait until "someone" legislates disabling the 17" screen except for when the car is moving. Argh.

3. sublimaze1

sublimaze1 8Dec2012 / Leeroy Jenkins

Terribly unfortunate.

4. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

She took that pole out right at its base. Wow! I hope the squirrel she swerved to miss was okay.

5. Cutwolf

Cutwolf Member

Glad to hear she survived.

6. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

Where do you read that the screen had anything to do with this unfortunate crash.

The most important part of this "story" is that, not only did she survive but, IMO and not being there, a lot of other cars taking down that pole would be in a million pieces by now.

7. highfalutintodd

This is in Murfreesboro, TN, outside of Nashville. My neck of the woods. I still haven't even seen another Tesla on the roads here yet they're apparently prevalent enough to be running into poles...

Glad she's okay.

8. sublimaze1

@ sp4rk (and in defense of bollar) - one plays the odds when making judgment. I think if you were at the poker table, and the odds were laid down, you would bet on either situational unawareness or distraction as the numbers two and one in a short list. Sure, seizure, stroke, epileptic fit and even squirrel would be in the differential. But if there was a 17" touch screen at the scene or a cell phone ...

... I'm just sayin'

Notice I mentioned nothing about the demographics of the occupant of the car. Another day, another post.

9. sublimaze1

Also ironic that it took out a source of electricity.

10. Panacea

Panacea TSLA Shareholder/Believer

LOL!

11. Newscutter

Newscutter Member

Or trying to get a REALLY fast Supercharge?

Actually -- most cars would have LOST their door handles in a crash like that... but the Tesla had them safely tucked away so that post-crash they could pop out and be usable. Interesting.

12. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Looks like a real world instance of the IIHS small overlap test. Good to see the impact deflected off to the side of the car and didn't intrude on the passenger's side.

13. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Wow, that's just about the worst crash scenario imaginable... she's lucky to survive it.

14. theganjaguru

... This accident involved a young driver. She could have been txt messaging. I wouldn't start jumping to conclusions so quick.

Though I have to admit I'm a buttons and nobs kind of man. I like that tactile feedback. It's a lot easier to reach for that nob and blindly twist to adjust the AC temp settings than it is to feel the edge of the screen for things. You could argue that you could just get things done with voice controls. But if you're screaming down the road with life is a highway at 11, voice control totally kills the flow. I do tech integrations for docs in my day job, and many of these people are afraid of using iPads to replace the tactile feedback. Granted they are older physicians, so you could argue its a generational thing But I know a lot of people in their 30's who barely know how to use their iPhones/androids. I think the touch screen is slick, but that it also alienates a lot of potential buyers.

On a more on topic note, every time I see a MS wreck, I am amazed how well the S holds up. These things are bloody tanks!!! Oh, and I would certainly NOT give any young driver the FOB to P85... They'd have the FOB to a Leaf!!! But I am glad the driver survived. I am curious to see how we'll the S does with the IIHS tests.

15. riceuguy

riceuguy Member

Results (and videos) have been published. Five stars in every category, and one of the lowest (best) rollover scores ever recorded!

16. theganjaguru

That's not IIHS.

You are talking about safercar.gov which is the governments safety ratings. IIHS does more rigorous tests (IMHO) They are totally different tests and have not been conducted/published yet. http://www.iihs.org/RATINGS/

- - - Updated - - -

17. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

#17 brianman, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
    For some parents (the ones that can afford it), a 60 (or a 40 if they were in time) would be a smart move to protect their cherished child.

But yes, a P85 is asking for trouble.

18. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

Note to self... start saving for two S60s for my twins...

Yeah. Maybe not.

19. evme

evme Member

They updated the article:

http://wgnsradio.com/update-expensive-tesla-electric-vehicle-crashes-in-murfreesboro-driver-charged-with-dui-cms-14372

By the sound of things the driver was completely ok, but driving drunk is not good....

20. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Not to mention they can't go far, and you can always find put where they are.