Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Premium Center Console - Only in Black

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To my knowledge, they're no longer maintaining a queue, also not for the Piano Black. It's on a first-come first-serve basis now, through the Tesla Shop web-site (currently showing "sold out"...).

I've e-mailed them nevertheless though. I'll report on the response I get.

I will say that I don't think piano black customers currently waiting should get bumped so that the rest of the non-piano black interior people can ditch, but to throw out the reservation list completely so that they have to keep coming back to check seems like a unnecessary inconvenience to dump on them.

I will say that I don't think piano black customers currently waiting should get bumped so that the rest of the non-piano black interior people can ditch, but to throw out the reservation list completely so that they have to keep coming back to check seems like a unnecessary inconvenience to dump on them.

I would be happy to get on a Piano Black Console waiting list at ANY position. I understand there is no such list however.
Quoting Tesla:

Q: I’m trying to purchase the Piano Black Console on the website, but it is listed as ‘sold out’. Do I need to get on another list to have it prioritized for me?
A: We are getting inventory and fulfilling them as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, we may encounter temporary supply shortages due to the high demand. Please check back on the website periodically for availability.

I had a Premium Console with carbon fiber installed at the Houston SC about a year ago. I had the first installation in Houston. Almost immediately thereafter they recalled the consoles. I have been enjoying the console tremendously. I just had my 2nd yr annual service appointment. They replaced the console with an updated carbon fiber console. Visually there is little difference between the recalled and the new console. The center brace is a different shape. There may be other changes that are not visually apparent. While my Model S was in for service they provided a loaner. I really missed that center console when I was driving the loaner.

Also notice my signature, which has not been updated in about a year - some are questioning whether there are premium consoles with trims other than piano black. I should update the signature because I don't have the inferior Paint Armor. It has been upgraded to X-Pel.

I think we all agree - customer service agents aren't lying. But, in effect, they're being instructed to lie to customers unknowingly. They told people that parking sensors/AWD/new colors weren't imminent, and they told people that their console backorder was in effect. Someone knows what changes are coming and they don't seem to take any steps to aid/assist/protect/comfort customers already in the pipeline. That's the disappointing part.

I know for a fact that when the Autopilot sensors were coming out that Tesla instructed employees to deny knowledge of the new features. I know this because I had some Tesla employees tell me privately that this happened. They also told me that this made them very uncomfortable. Based on what I've seen one of two things happen when changes that are likely to make some customers unhappy are being made:

• Various employees are entirely in the dark about this and continue to give the best answers that they have.
  • Employees are told something, usually because unhappy customers have started to show up, but are told not to discuss it until the official announcement is made.

Both of these issues are a matter of poor communication on the part of Tesla. I don't think the individual employees want to mislead customers (I hesitate to use the word lie, some of these employees work really hard to avoid lying even when being asked to withhold information). I think a lot of this is driven by Tesla making decisions quickly and implementing changes just as quickly as the decisions are made. Which means that sometimes the decisions are poorly thought out and the handling of the customers isn't done well.

On the other hand I've also experienced Tesla employees really going the extra mile to make things right. I've had them tell me that situations like this made them angry about how Tesla treated customers. Had these same employees (at least in my opinion) really put their job on the line to make things right anyway. They managed to come through for me. Unfortunately, they can't necessarily do the same for everyone. I'd really like to be more frank and open about the good situations in this case but I've been asked not to talk about it (I'm doing my best to walk the line of saying what I can without saying too much).

It's difficult to make generalizations about all Tesla employees. But I'm going to try anyway. I think they all really want to do the right thing, sometimes they're just put in difficult situations.

If you are among those who did not receive a cancellation email... your really should email [email protected] to find out why... :wink:

What are you saying?

The obvious implication, based on the fact that you've posted that you were early on the list and that you did not get an e-mail notification, and that you said you were going to write to find out why, is that Tesla may be filling orders for those that were early on the list, which is why they did not notify them, and why you are suggesting that these people now write to Tesla to inquire.

Assuming the above is the case, the information is going to get out, so how about just spilling the beans, and telling us what you know?

And I just went to check and it's saying even the piano black is sold out!?
Front Console.png

What are you saying?

The obvious implication, based on the fact that you've posted that you were early on the list and that you did not get an e-mail notification, and that you said you were going to write to find out why, is that Tesla may be filling orders for those that were early on the list, which is why they did not notify them, and why you are suggesting that these people now write to Tesla to inquire.

Assuming the above is the case, the information is going to get out, so how about just spilling the beans, and telling us what you know?

Question is: do you choose to believe whatever it is they told you? :confused:

My apologies, I did not intend to imply anything. I was simply suggesting owners send an email to Tesla asking why they did not receive a cancellation email. I think it was poor form on Tesla's part to send emails to some, but not others. That's all.

If you are among those who did not receive a cancellation email... you really should email [email protected] to find out why... :wink:

My apologies, I did not intend to imply anything. I was simply suggesting owners send an email to Tesla asking why they did not receive a cancellation email. I think it was poor form on Tesla's part to send emails to some, but not others. That's all.

And the smiley-winky face in the first message?