Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Premium Center Console - Only in Black

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get why some are pissed off, if I had waited two years Id be mad too. However the console is a an accessory the car was not designed to have it from the start.
I am glad they did not release a part that was not up to quality standards. Not knowing exactly how many you need for the various color combos and changes over the past two years obviously turned into a nightmare. Offering one and only model is much easier than trying to accommodate every car.
For $600 bucks I think its a really good deal, if I had to guess I bet they dont make much if anything on them. Heck I paid $900 buck for a piece of dash trim in my last Mercedes.

I think many people are missing the point here. It's not just that the center console is not coming to be (in the original variations). It's, once again, how Tesla (mis)handled the situation, like they have for similar situations in the past. Over time, it adds up.

I for one have never lied to boost the company, but those who felt they should and now wont are a prime example of how losing good will with repeated snafus like this one is going to hurt Tesla. People can rant and rave all they want about how ICEs suck, and big manufacturers this and dealers that, but I've owned VWs and Audis prior to Tesla, and on the whole have had better experiences with VWAG and their dealers/service centers. Heck, I'm leaving in about 20 mins to drop my car off with Audi for an inspection and for them to install my EZ Pass behind the nosecone (even though they know I have no intention of buying any vehicles they have anymore). They have earned my good will, and will have my business indefinitely, as they've proven they know how to take care of customers from A-Z.

The idea is great, but IMO, the company needs a lot of work. One can only excuse their missteps for so long. This isn't likely to happen, but if Audi or another brand came out with a capable EV before it's time to replace my S, I'd likely jump ship. So no, it's not just about a console.

Exactly. It's a freaking console for gosh sakes.

That said, I suspect there are a very small number of people who are really upset by this and very vocal. And then there are whole bunch more (like me) going "Meh... oh well".

I think that's probably understating things, though I accept your general premise. In my opinion, there are probably a small and vocal group that are very upset, another pretty decent sized group that is pretty upset, and just not saying anything about it, and a group of similar size that may be saying, "Meh...oh well." I definitely don't think the "Meh...oh wells" are the majority. I could be wrong.

Agree. I'm among those who have been waiting for a year and a half. The delay is no big deal. Tesla has much bigger fish to fry. For me the criticism that's heaped on them for failing to satisfy or Veblen-esc consumer habits is astounding.

It's not the delay for me, but rather the fact that Tesla is basically saying (if you're not trying to read between the lines) that it's this or nothing, at least for a while, and by "this" they mean a console that doesn't match our interiors.

I get why some are pissed off, if I had waited two years Id be mad too. However the console is a an accessory the car was not designed to have it from the start.

Whether it was designed to have it from the start or not is irrelevant to people like me, who ordered the car long after the console was announced and shown as an option. It was, in my mind, part of my purchase, and were it possible, I would have ordered it at the time I ordered the car. The all-weather floor mats and trunk liner had to be ordered from the Tesla Online Store, and couldn't be ordered with the car, in the same way the console had to be ordered. The only difference was that the console was showing as not yet available. As someone brand new to Tesla at the time, I had no reason to believe at that point that Tesla would show an item in their online store that they actually would not produce.

I knew when I ordered the car that I wanted the console, and I knew that I wanted it to match. The choices Tesla is leaving me with now are to either not have a console, to go with a third-party console (none of which I like nearly as much as the Tesla console) or to go with a console that doesn't match my interior and will look out of place in my car. This is what I am upset about. I did order the Piano Black console because I've driven without a console long enough, but I am hoping for some sort of retrofit option of the mismatched piece. That brings me to your other point:

Not knowing exactly how many you need for the various color combos and changes over the past two years obviously turned into a nightmare. Offering one and only model is much easier than trying to accommodate every car.

There is a simple solution for that. All Tesla needed to do was offer that one folding piece in the same leather material as the rest of the console. Problem solved. Or at least the problem would have been solved in a better way than what they are currently doing. Sure, there would still be some who wanted that piece the way they expected it originally, but at least the console would not actually clash with the rest of their interior, the way it does now.

Tesla should have that one piece made, and provide it for free to anyone who was on the waiting list for a finish other than Piano Black, but then wound up buying a Piano Black console. If they really can't or don't want to offer it for free, that's fine. Make it, and we'll pay for it. How much could it cost? $50, at the most? I'd pay that happily.

???
Cute pic, but the message is apparently too subtle for me.

I think it was supposed to be Tesla thumbing their noses at us. You probably didn't get it because that's not her thumb. It was close enough for me! :)

Edit: Actually, that's not it. I just looked at it again. Isn't that the charades sign (or something) for "Right." I'm pretty sure that's it.

Edit Number 2:

charades-laugh-400x400.jpg

I wrote to Jerome Guillen to express my displeasure. This is an excerpt:
--
I just don’t understand how a company that can make an electric car that can go from 0 to 60 in 3.1 seconds can’t figure out how to put a different piece of rectangular finish on an otherwise identically made console. And I definitely don’t understand how they can stop trying, after they made the promise to deliver this to their customers—many of whom, like me, spent well into the six figures on their automobiles.

I don’t understand it, it doesn’t make any sense, it’s wrong, and it upsets me.
--

Did you ever receive a response to your email to Jerome?

Did you ever receive a response to your email to Jerome?

I did. There was nothing in it of any real interest. He just said he understood and shared my frustration, and pointed to the quality issues.

I didn't expect anything more than that. I've written to him when I feel Tesla has done things well, so I wanted to let him know how I felt about this too. If Tesla realizes how many people are actually upset, perhaps they will take corrective action.

I think the "quality issues" excuse is pretty weak. Maybe the next time my son has homework due, he can tell the teacher he wasn't able to turn it in because he wasn't happy with the quality of it.

Guess what, it's your job to get the quality right. And if you can 't, don't pre-sell it for 2 years.

Tesla should have that one piece made, and provide it for free to anyone who was on the waiting list for a finish other than Piano Black, but then wound up buying a Piano Black console. If they really can't or don't want to offer it for free, that's fine. Make it, and we'll pay for it. How much could it cost? $50, at the most? I'd pay that happily.

That, or a replacement cell phone area cover made from the same plastic they used to cover the cup holder area on the console. So then it either matches the leather on the sides, or the existing plastic cover being used. If the problem was wood trim quality, but the other plastic part has been fine so far, it should totally be doable to have the cell phone cover area be of the same matching plastic.

That, or a replacement cell phone area cover made from the same plastic they used to cover the cup holder area on the console. So then it either matches the leather on the sides, or the existing plastic cover being used. If the problem was wood trim quality, but the other plastic part has been fine so far, it should totally be doable to have the cell phone cover area be of the same matching plastic.

I actually thought the sliding doors covering the cup holders were covered in leather. So what I was suggesting is, I think, what you are suggesting as your "or" option--for the folding door to be the same material as the sliding ones. I just haven't seen a console in the flesh, which is why I thought those two sliding covers were leather. (They look like leather in the video.)

I actually thought the sliding doors covering the cup holders were covered in leather. So what I was suggesting is, I think, what you are suggesting as your "or" option--for the folding door to be the same material as the sliding ones. I just haven't seen a console in the flesh, which is why I thought those two sliding covers were leather.

Gotcha. Could be. I didn't close the one I saw, so I'm basing my assertion from the online videos. In either case, I agree. The "solution" was simple all along - remove the matching trim to the car and use the same trim as already in use on the sliding cover!

I think it was supposed to be Tesla thumbing their noses at us. You probably didn't get it because that's not her thumb. It was close enough for me! :)

Edit: Actually, that's not it. I just looked at it again. Isn't that the charades sign (or something) for "Right." I'm pretty sure that's it.

Edit Number 2:

View attachment 81739

Yep. Finger on nose means YEP! YOU GOT IT! :)

I knew when I ordered the car that I wanted the console, and I knew that I wanted it to match. The choices Tesla is leaving me with now are to either not have a console, to go with a third-party console (none of which I like nearly as much as the Tesla console) or to go with a console that doesn't match my interior and will look out of place in my car. This is what I am upset about.
This exactly. EXACTLY.

Agreed Brianman, but they could have just said nothing, and instead they themselves introduce the "no comment about future products" line of thinking. In my mind, this becomes a huge disclaimer, where they can say "we practically told you so".
IMO, you're reading too much into that. That phrasing is boilerplate just like "Past performance does not indicate..." at the beginning of every conference call for any public company.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm saying that as agents of Tesla, they weren't telling the truth. They were unknowingly telling Tesla's lie.
I think we use the word "lie" differently.

As an example, if I said "you have a gerbil in your frunk" I might be kidding and/or I might be completely incorrect w/r/t a hallucination. I have no knowledge whether you do or don't have a gerbil anywhere in your car, so it's impossible for me to lie one way or the other on the subject.

We don't need to go around and around. Me saying it's a lie is not what I'm truly upset about. I'm upset that they disrespected customers who placed orders 1-2 years ago and weren't provided even a semblance of redress to resolve this situation. None of us with Obeche interiors (I say this because the black at least matches the carbon, and carbon adhesive films are readily available for them to make it match) would be completely satisfied with the black trimmed console, but if they had done ANY of these, we wouldn't still be here complaining:

1) Offered a $50-100 discount for our trouble.

2) Offered to convert our pre-orders to orders for the black console and ship them out immediately.

3) Offered something else as a freebie with the purchase of the black console (t-shirt, jacket, free car wash, SOMETHING)

The point is, they did nothing. They told people who had a pre-order for 1-2 years that they were out of luck, and if they wanted to order, get in line with everyone else, and oh, it's sold out and not available for a few months now.

It wouldn't have been impossible for them to mark it sold out on the website, stock up on these, and offer them first to those of us on the list. It wouldn't have been impossible for them to apologize an offer a $100 discount on the black console. It wouldn't have been impossible to respect customers and the fact that we've been waiting for so long already. This was a choice they made. A really strange, bad, disrespectful choice.

Yes, just a console. Life goes on. I still love Tesla. Just disappointed and disrespected.

We don't need to go around and around. Me saying it's a lie is not what I'm truly upset about. I'm upset that they disrespected customers who placed orders 1-2 years ago and weren't provided even a semblance of redress to resolve this situation. None of us with Obeche interiors (I say this because the black at least matches the carbon, and carbon adhesive films are readily available for them to make it match) would be completely satisfied with the black trimmed console, but if they had done ANY of these, we wouldn't still be here complaining:

1) Offered a $50-100 discount for our trouble.

2) Offered to convert our pre-orders to orders for the black console and ship them out immediately.

3) Offered something else as a freebie with the purchase of the black console (t-shirt, jacket, free car wash, SOMETHING)

The point is, they did nothing. They told people who had a pre-order for 1-2 years that they were out of luck, and if they wanted to order, get in line with everyone else, and oh, it's sold out and not available for a few months now.

It wouldn't have been impossible for them to mark it sold out on the website, stock up on these, and offer them first to those of us on the list. It wouldn't have been impossible for them to apologize an offer a $100 discount on the black console. It wouldn't have been impossible to respect customers and the fact that we've been waiting for so long already. This was a choice they made. A really strange, bad, disrespectful choice.

Yes, just a console. Life goes on. I still love Tesla. Just disappointed and disrespected.

+1. I *still* like Tesla. I *still* want the console. I don't even think the compromise (Piano Black instead of my Obeche Gloss trim) is that big of a deal.

However, they chose to leave me in the cold having to check their web-site every day only to read the message: "sold out"!

For those of us with obeche and carbon fiber finishes, who are reluctantly taking the console in Piano Black, and are upset that it matches absolutely nothing in our interiors, I believe I found the smallest glimmer of good news. There is some black on the gear shift that I think is probably the same material as the Piano Black on the console. So at least there is SOMETHING in our cars it will match.

2015_tesla_model_s_gearshift.jpg

For those of us with obeche and carbon fiber finishes, who are reluctantly taking the console in Piano Black, and are upset that it matches absolutely nothing in our interiors, I believe I found the smallest glimmer of good news. There is some black on the gear shift that I think is probably the same material as the Piano Black on the console. So at least there is SOMETHING in our cars it will match.

Ah good one! Well, as noted in other past post - a lot of time you may have that compartment open so won't see it anyway. I'm kinda glad I ordered the Piano Black interior and the console too, which is waiting at Service Center to be installed with new delivery.

+1. I *still* like Tesla. I *still* want the console. I don't even think the compromise (Piano Black instead of my Obeche Gloss trim) is that big of a deal.

However, they chose to leave me in the cold having to check their web-site every day only to read the message: "sold out"!

Have you emailed Tesla to ask that you be put in the queue according to your Obeche wait list position?