Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Premium Center Console - Only in Black

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I am really suggesting that a Tesla employee would not be told to deliberately lie or mislead.

That wasn't exactly the question I posed, but I guess it's close enough to it.

But I don't believe that any employee was instructed to continue to mislead people. For what possible reason would they do that? What did they gain from that other than some very angry customers?

I'm still not suggesting that anyone was instructed to mislead anyone in this situation. But I'm going to continue the discussion with examples, to make the point I've been trying to make all along, which is that it's not incredibly unreasonable to expect that this could happen.

We know the other finishes were removed from the online store at least two weeks ago. I think it is reasonable to believe that the person or people responsible for answering the email inquires about items available in the store would have noticed this at some point, even if they weren't involved directly in their removal. At that point they might have asked someone, "What's up with that?", or, they might have decided they didn't want to know, because they didn't want to get a straight answer, and then be in a position where they were having to lie to customers. If they did ask, and were not given a straight answer, does that make it any better? It would still be pretty obvious to the person in that position what was going on when the items were removed from the store at least two weeks ago.

Completely leaving aside this particular situation, and getting back to your question:

But I don't believe that any employee was instructed to continue to mislead people. For what possible reason would they do that?

There are reasons this could be necessary. When the autopilot cars were coming out, no one would have ordered a non-autopilot car just before autopilot was to be added if they had known autopilot was about to be given to them at no additional cost if they waited just a little longer. Tesla had to keep that as quiet as possible, to put as few employees into awkward positions as possible, and I expect that they did that. But I'm sure there were some employees who did know the scoop, and I'm sure those people couldn't say anything about it, because if they did it would have had major negative ramifications for the company. So I expect it was understood, even if it was never explicitly stated or requested, that if it came down to it, those people would, if needed, lie to protect Tesla's interests.

I would expect similar things happened with the more recent release of the 70D. People had to know about it, yet if word had gotten out S60 sales would have been negatively impacted. And no, I'm not saying that there was a memo to the sales force a month before the 70D was announced that said it was coming, and that also said, "but keep pushing the S60s." All I'm saying is that as far as "what possible reason would they have to do that?", the answer is that when a Tesla empployee does wind up with knowledge of a future product that is not yet public knowledge, and the public knowledge could hurt Tesla, that employee has a pretty reasonable and perhaps even justifiable reason to not be forthright.

Last edited:
Dear Tesla,
Why don't you cover that little door with leather. Not wood. Problem solved. You're welcome.

Actually, not that I look at it, the piano black gets scratched super easily. I'd like a faux leather option as well if I could do it over.

I do know that there is a trimmable carbon fiber adhesive (yes, a sticker) that matches the factory carbon fiber perfectly. I wish I could find the link.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe so. I wonder if anyone complains enough that TM would actually change their interior trim to this.

It gets scratched real easily, so it's a two edged sword in this case.

- - - Updated - - -

What's wrong with you?

Just trying to make the most of a bad situation by feeding on your tears. But seriously, I honestly wish I could say this surprises me. It seems like these missed expectations are getting more common now. This might be a circle the wagons time for Tesla as they've had many patient owners waiting for a great product that completes the interior nicely. As someone else mentioned a litany of disappointments, TM needs to be very careful not to squander owners' goodwill/support, especially over something so seemingly trivial from a production perspective.

Yup, got the email yesterday as well... ordered the piano black... will see how it works. Saw somewhere that there are appliqué for other finishes... may try that if i don't like the pure black.

Was told there is two week delivery now for the piano black

I know they addressed this in the email - but wouldn't a discount on the piano black at least make us feel a little better about this situation? $50-100 would have felt at least like they cared about our pre-orders. Not even keeping our place in line feels terrible.

Head of console product: "We have a problem and we've decided not to produce the non-piano black consoles"
Head of customer service: "What do we tell those who have already ordered the product?"
Head of console product: "Let's have marcomm draft a customer email, you pull one together for the customer service reps and we'll review tomorrow."

24 hours later

Head of customer service: "Is everyone happy with the comms? Let's send the email and I'll cascade to the CSRs."

------

So, ignoring that the 24 hours is arbitrary and could be more or less, is that an unreasonable approach? Is it "lying" when the product and customer service leaders know about the change but there's a gap in getting the knowledge to CSRs? Of course not. This is a normal, expected communications approach for a large company. And it's the right way to handle it.

There should have been a step called:

• Tell CSRs to stop responding to inquiries about the console.

But I understand what you're saying. However, I can't see that this decision 2 years in the making came in 24 hours.

And you missed a step after Head of customer service: "What do we tell those who have already ordered the product?":

"Answer: tell them to pound sand."

I have a Glossy Obeche trim but don't believe I'm in the waitlist for the center console. Would you guys recommend that I go ahead and just order the piano black? I don't want to buy a third party console and also don't want to wait years.

Tesla just said to all of us that have been waiting **** you. Its kinda like the US government, the people that play by the rules get screwed. We signed up and waited patiently and then they allowed other people to jump the line and we're left with our **** in our hands. Shame on you Tesla I can't wait for karma to hit them.

Last edited:
It's too bad the aftermarket CCI console wasn't closer to the Tesla version. I e-mailed EVAnnex and told them if they were to release an updated version I would buy theirs instead, so it matches.

The CCI cupholder looks cheap, the storage bin is a bit small, and the area to put your phone is goofy. Worst case I can buy the Tesla one because functionally it's awesome. If Tesla would at least let me order a piano black one but with tan leather I'd be happy enough to have that!

Tesla just said to all of us that have been waiting **** you. Its kinda like the US government, the people that play by the rules get screwed. We signed up and waited patiently and then they allowed other people to jump the line and we're left with our **** in our hands. Shame on you Tesla I can't wait for karma to hit them.

I totally agree with you. I am definitely not going to recommend this car to any one any more. The next Consumers Report or any other survey I get, I am going to honestly tell them about all the problems I have had with my car instead of being untruthful to advance this company.

I totally agree with you. I am definitely not going to recommend this car to any one any more. The next Consumers Report or any other survey I get, I am going to honestly tell them about all the problems I have had with my car instead of being untruthful to advance this company.

Well that's disappointing that you've lied to people about the car just to make Tesla look good. I always answer honestly, tell them every problem I've had, how Tesla has been super-great to work with getting said problems resolved, and then shocking them with the statement that it's all worth it as I list off the pros of the car, and then finish up by telling them I'll never go back to an ICE vehicle again. To me, that's not only the right thing to do, but an even greater testimony to the company/technology that one can have issues and still look past them.

Don't get me wrong, I still think they are pissing away customer goodwill, very much so in everyone here's case where they've been waiting for a accessory for 2 years. I mean, if you are going to anger a group of people, I'd at least try not and make it the core group that allowed the company to succeed in the first place (Roadster owners, you are guys are cool too).

Exactly. It's a freaking console for gosh sakes.

That said, I suspect there are a very small number of people who are really upset by this and very vocal. And then there are whole bunch more (like me) going "Meh... oh well".

Agree. I'm among those who have been waiting for a year and a half. The delay is no big deal. Tesla has much bigger fish to fry. For me the criticism that's heaped on them for failing to satisfy or Veblen-esc consumer habits is astounding.

Prior to my road trip, I made one last ditch effort to get a matching console (i am one of the first to be on the wait list) with no luck. I made the decision to just purchase the piano black and I have 0 regrets (especially now that it's only available in piano black!)

I know this is upsetting to many, but if you just buy the center console, you will be extremely pleased.

Prior to my road trip, I made one last ditch effort to get a matching console (i am one of the first to be on the wait list) with no luck. I made the decision to just purchase the piano black and I have 0 regrets (especially now that it's only available in piano black!)

I know this is upsetting to many, but if you just buy the center console, you will be extremely pleased.

Unfortunately, even the piano black version is completely sold out with no priority given to those on the waiting list to purchase it first. This is part of what many people are upset about.

Unfortunately, even the piano black version is completely sold out with no priority given to those on the waiting list to purchase it first. This is part of what many people are upset about.

3039410539_f122733371.jpg