Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They can’t fit the 2170 without a major redesign. They will tweak the battery chemistry and the software in conjunction with the new drivetrain to allow faster charging than is currently allowed however 175kw is an upper limit number that is floating out there as a possibility but God knows if they will ever have the guts to institute it to the refreshed fleet. who knows what they will arrive at within safety and longevity parameters..

Last edited:
Reactions: DanCar and Gen3
I love the active aero and a new refresh but I am worried it will not be as nice. I loved my P85D with no console more than my P100D. The new suspension and better range might make the current S good enough to order next month. I hate knowing I could get sucked into an upgrade later this year if it is way better.

But currently they already support 200kW.
Well currently it’s 150 kw, they did announce possible 200kW for V2 but my understanding haven’t delivered yet. I should have said this was for the current architecture, the new chemistry will be higher than that but not the model 3 level of 250kW however using a V3. Sorry for conflating the two in the last post. My apologies

• Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
Well currently it’s 150 kw, they did announce possible 200kW for V2 but my understanding haven’t delivered yet.

The Raven blog post says that the current S&X can charge at 200kW on V3 Superchargers.

Faster Charging
Paired with the new more efficient drivetrain design, Model S and Model X are now capable of achieving 200 kW on V3 Superchargers and 145 kW on V2 Superchargers. Together, these improvements enable our customers to recharge their miles 50% faster.

• Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
Yes I was conflating ours( old design battery packs ) not the new raven should have been clearer

I thought the raven is using tye same battery packs as current non raven inventory cars.

And the 18650 /2170 changeover wasn’t happening with the raven for at least a year - if at all.

Is there some current middle raven battery pack that allows for faster charging using the current cells ? If so is this just a software update that will be passed backwards to older packs ?

They can’t fit the 2170 without a major redesign. They will tweak the battery chemistry and the software in conjunction with the new drivetrain to allow faster charging than is currently allowed however 175kw is an upper limit number that is floating out there as a possibility but God knows if they will ever have the guts to institute it to the refreshed fleet. who knows what they will arrive at within safety and longevity parameters..

Speculating, when you for see the "redesign" happening? 2021?

Way to far out to speculate. Let them get through this facelift, get the Y on track, get the roadster out, finish the Factory in China, start production on the semi, unveil the pickup, remain solvent and THEN we can talk about a redesign on the S

Ok, so it is safe to say the refresh will not have different batteries, motors or suspension from the Raven update, right?

Also the refresh is now imminent...

Ok, so it is safe to say the refresh will not have different batteries, motors or suspension from the Raven update, right?

Also the refresh is now imminent...

I would not expect anything than what Craz8 has stated. Any new battery tech will show up in the Roadster or possibly the Semi first, we do not know what battery tech the red and silver Semi prototypes are using.

Have been waiting for this MS upgrade, to upgrade my MS, however I have a MX P100D on order with July delivery. Any news on whether or not MX is upgraded atvthe same time?

The X will almost certainly be refreshed. Tesla is doing the refresh to boost sales, but they are also doing it to make parts as common as possible across all the cars. The latter is a big cost savings for them.

I’m gonna throw out a guess that they announce the refreshed car two weeks or so into Q2. This will prevent anyone using their seven day return policy from the end of Q1 and people with the old car will be somewhat pleased that they got in on the tax credit.

The new cars will be announced with a higher MSRP and a 3-style interior for September deliveries. This would clear out any existing S/X inventory for customers who want the “classic” layout and lower price.

This strategy would create plenty of classic S/X sales for Q2, get the market primed for the new version, and give Wall Street something to shut them up. All right in time to knock the Taycan and EQC down a few pegs during their launches.

My $0.02. Don’t spend it all in one place.

Do you mean the beginning of Q3? We're halfway through Q2 now.

This helps make my decision for me. I will be Teslaless this summer. My lease is up in July. Ended up being a fantastic deal for me. Running the numbers, a lease on a new car won't be worth doing. I will be purchasing the replacement Model S outright. So, no sense spending a lot of money only to take a big depreciation hit on a new model that is just a few months away. I will enjoy commuting on my motorcycles this summer, and will purchase a new Model S in the fall!

This helps make my decision for me. I will be Teslaless this summer. My lease is up in July. Ended up being a fantastic deal for me. Running the numbers, a lease on a new car won't be worth doing. I will be purchasing the replacement Model S outright. So, no sense spending a lot of money only to take a big depreciation hit on a new model that is just a few months away. I will enjoy commuting on my motorcycles this summer, and will purchase a new Model S in the fall!

Take the info with a grain of salt. Even IF it gets announced in September, you may have to commute on the bike well into November rain/wind storms before getting the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.