Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not. Damping rate is adaptive. Just like most luxury cars offer at least as an option now.
But isn't the old air system adaptive? It changes height based on speed. (edit - but doesn't change stiffness even manually in the menu.) What new hardware got added exactly? Are there independent actuators in the raven suspension but not in the old air? Where are the sensors?

Last edited:
But isn't the old air system adaptive? It changes height based on speed. And changes stiffness manually in the menu. What new hardware got added exactly? Are there independent actuators in the raven suspension but not in the old air? Where are the sensors?

I believe the raven suspension has magnetorheological dampers and Tesla’s home grown suspension software. The old system was probably an out-of-the-box setup from Continental or Visteon or something.

But isn't the old air system adaptive? It changes height based on speed. And changes stiffness manually in the menu. What new hardware got added exactly? Are there independent actuators in the raven suspension but not in the old air? Where are the sensors?

The stiffness can't be adjusted on cars before Raven. So the stiffness can be adjusted using a special material inside the suspension.
One technique is exciting a material so it changes density inside the suspension.
Also it can be adaptive + air, where air is still used for the height, and actuators / special excitable material is used for the adaptive part.

Not sure why @AWDtsla is 100% certain it's not this.

All I know is that the Tesla Models S & X have dated interiors
You "know" this, as if it was some kind of fact? Do you own one? What about the interior is dated? Everyone who gets in my car thinks that it looks like it is from the future. And you speak as if a Model S has had the same interior for years. All you have to do is compare the interior of one with a model 2-3 years older and you will see that it has evolved and improved.

I would say improved yes but generally speaking when you have people who leased cars for two or three years not wanting to go back to essentially the same interior and exterior you start to loose repeat customers. I know that I would not trade my 2015 till a revamp of the interior so I waited a year or so longer then I usually do to buy. Plus the added efficiency/ range/ power are all inducing but not worth it until the interior changes. My two cents

Reactions: sillydriver
The stiffness can't be adjusted on cars before Raven. So the stiffness can be adjusted using a special material inside the suspension.
One technique is exciting a material so it changes density inside the suspension.
Also it can be adaptive + air, where air is still used for the height, and actuators / special excitable material is used for the adaptive part.

Not sure why @AWDtsla is 100% certain it's not this.

There are plenty of suspension systems that use air pressure to adjust the dampening. It doesn't need to be an exotic/electric solution.

I look forward to someone actually investigating the raven suspension.

Fortunately you can get a nicely equipped S or X for a lot less than that, especially if you consider new inventory models.

The most expensive S P100DL today is something like $128K. A 100D would be around $90K depending on paint, wheel, and other options.

Not even as a small buffer for the regen or the raven electric suspension?

That's possible. Regen could be made more efficient with supercapacitors, but they aren't really suited for the main power source.

Just learned that supercaps only hold 1/4th the power of a battery at the same weight.... along with many other cons. Yuck.

https://www.arrow.com/en/research-a...citor-vs-battery-ultracapacitor-pros-and-cons

It gets much worse when you compare supercapacitors to batteries by volume. Because supercapacitors are much lighter, they look decent by weight, but a 1KWH supercapacitor is usually in the ballpark of 10X the size of a 1KWH li-ion battery. Even if only 5X less space efficient, I don't think many people would take a 20KWH battery pack if it meant they could supercharge as fast as filling an ICE at the pump.

This helps make my decision for me. I will be Teslaless this summer. My lease is up in July. Ended up being a fantastic deal for me. Running the numbers, a lease on a new car won't be worth doing. I will be purchasing the replacement Model S outright. So, no sense spending a lot of money only to take a big depreciation hit on a new model that is just a few months away. I will enjoy commuting on my motorcycles this summer, and will purchase a new Model S in the fall!
If you ask they can probably just extend the lease

My $0.02 is that Elon is making a HUGE mistake if the refreshed Model S/X interior looks like a Model 3 interior. Having the IC (binnacle) in front of the driver is much better than having to take your eyes off of the road to look at a center screen.

One benefit of not having anything directly in front of the driver means the steering wheel can be appropriately sized rather than large enough to show the dashboard through the steering wheel . The model three steering wheel is the perfect size precisely because it doesn't have to display anything through the wheel

Tesla has also provided no promotional, advertising or marketing support to maintain a premium, flagship image and features fo

Lol

but sheet metal changes are probably needed too.

Lol

The dampening is adjusted dynamically in the Raven, unlike the previous versions (both can adjust height). Therefore, you can make the compression and rebound settings really soft, to give you that floaty, old Cadillac type feeling for cruising, but then when you start to turn the wheel, or some other indication that you're doing spirited driving, it can "tighten up" and be really taunt, like a sports car. The current system is statically set, so it's a compromise between comfort (cruising) and handling (switchbacks, racetrack, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.