Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is that the 'refresh' is pretty minor. Lots of small changes.
I think the intention is to prepare for the Plaid which will use new cells and a 3 motor design. They prob needed more fender room for hub motors so they put the fenders out a little.
USB C if they haven't
possibly dual pane glass
Heat pump
Fog lights
basically the changes in the smaller cars that are already done.
It will be disappointing if headlights aren't changed
I'm guessing pricing stays the same, configs for LR and Perf versions stay the same
Hoping for interior changes, quieter, more luxury but not holding my breath
I think they'll announce either during earnings or more likely between Jan 31st 8pm EST (or 24hr window after that)
As of this morning there were 7 Model S left for sale in Scal

Things I want:

1000km «range» - Measured how? If I get 600km ACTUAL range, even when wet and colder, I'd be quite happy.
Better headlights - Yup
Better backup camera/nightvision - Pretty happy with the current setup
Ccs port for europe - For sure
Better turn radius - Never thought of it, not high priority
Heated seats(that actually heat) - Seconded
Model 3 air vents - Yup
Automatic camera cleaners - YES! Somehow!
Rain sensor - Yeah, the AI is severely lacking (maybe it works in CA rain...)
Double pan glass - Absolutely
Better sound insulation - 100%, very high priority
Heat pump - Yup
220volt outlet in the back - Ooooo, nice to have!
Chrome delete - Optional, sure
Some exterior change to make it look new - Yep
Higher quality on everything - Amen!
Trailer hitch option(is that the word for it?) Yes please, electric, controlled from the UI
Better armrest on center console - No biggie
Screen that flips - Uh... Nah!
2nd gear - Well, seems to work for Porsche
Must say, we're in sync, only my list is for the X! :) I humbly add:
HUD
4680 cells - their low volume production is perfect for S/X. 2170 is old news now.
Faster charging (dropping charge rate not until after 80%)

Surely, this can't be too much to ask! :D ;)

Fair enough. I would like side view cameras.... and I'm not alone.

"Some estimates say that by just getting rid of side mirrors, aerodynamics could improve as much as 5% overall."

Tesla Wants To Eliminate Side Mirrors
To make the driver's side mirror really satisfactory on the S I've had to paste a small convex mirror from the auto parts store onto the surface of the side mirror. No doubt a video camera could handle the blind spot. Admittedly I drive with the seat far back so the B pillar is hard to see around.

Must say, we're in sync, only my list is for the X! :) I humbly add:
HUD
4680 cells - their low volume production is perfect for S/X. 2170 is old news now.
Faster charging (dropping charge rate not until after 80%)

Surely, this can't be too much to ask! :D ;)

I would be highly surprised if we see the 4680 cells this soon. During Battery day last September, Elon clearly stated production was still under development, and they still haven’t fully figured out the dry coating method reliably yet. But if I’m wrong I’ll be very happily surprised!

Whale tail anyone?

Yes! Here's is a good example of design evolution with incremental improvements. Tesla has the right approach for a timeless design. :cool:

SP32-20060723-222906.jpg

Boooooring!... ;-)This body styling has for the most part been in production since 2012 and is getting a bit stale. I mean I still like the current S and think it's a good looking car, but I sure hoped for something that looked a bit more exciting like some of the renderings. Hopefully this is an intentionally subdued test car exterior and the real thing will have a bit more pizzaz. Side view mirrors are so 2020.... we want sideview cameras

I'm not sure ... the renderings I saw were so Camaroesque.

Agree on the side view mirrors. Very 1920. An anachronism.

Assume an average of 15,000 miles per year, ~3.5 miles per kWh and an average US energy price of $0.13/kWh.

A 5% efficiency improvement saves you $27. A year.

In other words, a single repair for a fancy electronic mirror replacement system will negate any cost savings due to efficiency improvements for a good 10-20 years.

I’ll pass.

Aero is nice, the electricity savings not material as you say.

What it is really about is SA - situational awareness. SA = Safety = Lower accident/injury/insurance occurrences.

Mirrors have limited coverage, lots of head movement. Video mirrors have better coverage and can be put up on the dash supply, only short eye movement required to get the information you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.