Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s easy to see where other manufacturers are “catching up” but sometimes we forget that Tesla still has tremendous advantages. However, we shouldn’t be picking the best features of each of a half dozen luxury car manufacturers and then thinking Tesla is behind because cumulatively they have more features than an X or S. When all features are taken together, Tesla still wins the day.

Even if Mercedes or Cadillac or bmw come out with features that rivals Tesla’s current features, Tesla is just one OTA update from being the leader again. None of the other car manufacturers can claim that. If you get a Cadillac whose autonomous drive tech equals Tesla’s now, thats the best it will get. Teala’s will continue to improve.

• Disagree
Reactions: gowthamn
If I order a car tomorrow, anyone know how long Tesla will let me delay actually getting the car? If I order now, I'm assuming the default (from the design manager website) delivery will be December. But, I've heard that you can tell Tesla to delay delivery by (up to) 90 days. Anyone have any details on that? I want the car, but I'd be happy to wait until the end of March to get it to increase my chances of some range and interior update love.. but I want the referral bonuses that I get by ordering now..

Because it removes the discount window traditionally expected in the run up to new product.

If we look at Apple they too telegraph new product releases, and in the run up to a new release they let "old stock" run out at discount.

Tesla removes lots of things "traditionally expected." Like haggling with scummy auto dealers (in the states anyway) or having to wait for a model year change to get the latest tech.

Although some big changes like when the D models were announced was done ahead of time.: Announced in October and delivered in December.

But for minor tech changes and updates why bother holding it back? The trade off is that you have to wait for the new technology. Holding back new technology until a new model year or a new model is stupid if it can be incorporated in models going out the door now. Get the latest technology out to the customers as soon as possible.

If the current Tesla car provides good value to you for your money then buy it and get the latest tech, whatever it happens to be. If you want a discount for older tech then get an inventory or CPO.

Tesla does some of the most amazing things for existing customers as their technology advances.

When the 85 came out it had great performance, but after a while they sent out an OTA adjustment to make it even faster.

Just recently they did the same thing with their 75KW powered cars. Many of them can be updated as well to drop off nearly 1 second 0-60 times. This is done for free!. Amazing

Other improvements come every month or so via OTA adjustments, and service centers can sometimes update certain improvement for reasonable costs.

Not all the advancements, however, can be retrofitted into earlier cars, and this seems to be a reason for some to put off buying until they can get the next improvement. Problem is that no matter when you buy, another improvement is just around the corner.

Trying to time your purchase to get the best possible deal is similar to trying to time the stock market to get bigger increases than anyone else. It can be done, but lots of luck is also involve.

If I order a car tomorrow, anyone know how long Tesla will let me delay actually getting the car? If I order now, I'm assuming the default (from the design manager website) delivery will be December. But, I've heard that you can tell Tesla to delay delivery by (up to) 90 days. Anyone have any details on that? I want the car, but I'd be happy to wait until the end of March to get it to increase my chances of some range and interior update love.. but I want the referral bonuses that I get by ordering now..

No that's not really possible anymore. They used to allow that but now you can only delay by a few days or so and you must pick up the car within 7 days of arrival at the delivery center.

• Disagree
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Yes. I delayed my order last year by several months and I just had a friend order in September who delayed his order until December. Originally, I think it was scheduled for October or November delivery. You just need to contact your Owner Advisor once you place your order and ask them to delay it. This will let you order now and still get the $1000 off. Message me if you have any questions or need me to put you in touch with an Owner Advisor.
No that's not really possible anymore. They used to allow that but now you can only delay by a few days or so and you must pick up the car within 7 days of arrival at the delivery center.
They are still allowing deliveries to be delayed for months, not just a few days.

Last edited:
Reactions: DÆrik
Well, I explicitly asked if I could delay and was told by my DS that this is no longer possible, so I wouldn't order and rely on this.
In the past, one could easily delay for 6 months or more. I delayed my order by 8 months before taking delivery. Now, I think they allow about 3 months...or at least until the end of December (which might be expected delivery anyways). If there's a major change, then they will contact people with pending orders and get them to take delivery by a certain date.

@kvandivo should just contact his local OA (or contact me and I can put him in touch with one) and see what they say.

In the past, one could easily delay for 6 months or more. I delayed my order by 8 months before taking delivery. Now, I think they allow about 3 months...or at least until the end of December (which might be expected delivery anyways). If there's a major change, then they will contact people with pending orders and get them to take delivery by a certain date.

@kvandivo should just contact his local OA (or contact me and I can put him in touch with one) and see what they say.

I think they are trying to get rid of this. It is a nightmare. People are sitting on orders trying to lock in prices (or referrals). Then Tesla changes the configuration and people are either happy (new stuff for old price) or angry.

I've seen people angry because -
  • Tesla changed something they didn't like and could no longer get the old config made. Followed by the complaints of "Why didn't Tesla tell me?". Example - Solid roof went away (made many happy, some mad).
  • Tesla makes something new available (example - s100d), but to switch to it one has to pay change fee and/or loose goodies. In the S100D case, free supercharging was dropped. "No Fair"
  • the list goes on...
The longer they allow the order window to remain open, the more people fall into the "change" category. Tesla has the deal/deadlines for a reason. It does them no good to use marketing opportunities if it doesn't drive sales in the time window they are looking for.

I think they are trying to get rid of this. It is a nightmare. People are sitting on orders trying to lock in prices (or referrals). Then Tesla changes the configuration and people are either happy (new stuff for old price) or angry.

I've seen people angry because -
  • Tesla changed something they didn't like and could no longer get the old config made. Followed by the complaints of "Why didn't Tesla tell me?". Example - Solid roof went away (made many happy, some mad).
  • Tesla makes something new available (example - s100d), but to switch to it one has to pay change fee and/or loose goodies. In the S100D case, free supercharging was dropped. "No Fair"
  • the list goes on...

Let's say I order a S100D today with delivery delayed 90 days. Then in 30 days Tesla releases a S120D, what are the chances they'd let me change my order to the new model without loss of deposit?

Also if the car was delivered January 2018 but manufactured in December of 2017 what model year is it?

Let's say I order a S100D today with delivery delayed 90 days. Then in 30 days Tesla releases a S120D, what are the chances they'd let me change my order to the new model without loss of deposit?

Also if the car was delivered January 2018 but manufactured in December of 2017 what model year is it?

If history is any guide, they let folks (me for example) update to the S100D for the change fee... plus options and pricing changed to that which was current at the time. Lost unlimited supercharging (it came back in way of unlimited for first owner a few months later) and lost vented seats. My order was just a standard order with then current wait times.

I'd guess you would loose unlimited SpC once and for all if the order changes.

It would be a 2017.

If history is any guide, they let folks (me for example) update to the S100D for the change fee... plus options and pricing changed to that which was current at the time. Lost unlimited supercharging (it came back in way of unlimited for first owner a few months later) and lost vented seats. My order was just a standard order with then current wait times.

I'd guess you would loose unlimited SpC once and for all if the order changes.

It would be a 2017.
Why would you loos the unlimited Super Charging with a change, is that because the Super Charging promo offer is only till 12/31/2017?

I'm from Germany and ordered a model s last week. I was able to set the deliver date to March.

• Informative
Status
Not open for further replies.