Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elon announced on Twitter red leather will be coming on S and X next year...

Something tells me it will be more than just an extra color choice

Yes, the red interior will come with a vibrating rear seat, mood lighting, and a mirror ceiling. :p

I find it a bit ridiculous that they came out with a new interior wood trim for the Model S recently but they are not allowing someone to spec a P100D with the new interior trim but now they plan to offer a red interior. o_O

Would be nice if they would allow someone buying a P100D to order a car with the same interior options available for 100D and 75D customers while they work on adding a new red interior...

• Funny
Reactions: R.S and FlatSix911
If they are going to control the HVAC vents through the touchscreen on the S/X that's going to be a mistake. From what I've seen one of the things people don't like about the Model 3 is some of the things you have to do through the touchscreen like adjusting the vents.

If they are going to control the HVAC vents through the touchscreen on the S/X that's going to be a mistake. From what I've seen one of the things people don't like about the Model 3 is some of the things you have to do through the touchscreen like adjusting the vents.

I'm surprised to hear you say that. I loved that in my young friend's 3. Would love it in my S.

I'm surprised to hear you say that. I loved that in my young friend's 3. Would love it in my S.

I guess it really depends on how often you usually adjust your vents. I always keep mine the same, but my wife adjusts them very often.
If you don't care, or even like, air blowing at you from the same angle the whole time, then the new system is perfect. If you like to adjust while driving, maybe because you have sensitive eyes, or nose, then adjusting with the touchscreen can be over complicated.

I guess it really depends on how often you usually adjust your vents. I always keep mine the same, but my wife adjusts them very often.
If you don't care, or even like, air blowing at you from the same angle the whole time, then the new system is perfect. If you like to adjust while driving, maybe because you have sensitive eyes, or nose, then adjusting with the touchscreen can be over complicated.

Plenty of driver specific customization possibilities with presets and voice control. Tesla has a lot of areas, not only in cars but in Tesla Energy, where just plain old improvements in application programming will add a lot of value.

Plenty of driver specific customization possibilities with presets and voice control. Tesla has a lot of areas, not only in cars but in Tesla Energy, where just plain old improvements in application programming will add a lot of value.

Can you control the air stream with your voice? I don't think you can right now and I guess it will be rather complicated to implement.

Sure, you can have some pre defined settings, but even if you make them easy to change, like with voice control, it's just not as practical as using your hand to move something and redirect airflow.

Like I said, I don't mind that, I'm not an adjuster. But my wife sometimes changes the airflow 3 times on a 10 minute drive. Especially when it's really hot, or cold. When it's cold out she likes to get there face warm, but at a certain point her eyes get dry.

Maybe at some point she will just say "setting 27.b" and be comfortable, but that's not a reality right now.

So while I think the new HVAC system in the Model 3 is cool, I already know my wife won't like it.

I have an S 100D as a loaner right now and one of the interior features I miss most from my 3 is the vent adjustment setup. I never realized how stupid it is to do the reach-adjust-reach-adjust dance with vents to get the airflow where I want it.

The whole S interior is very dated compared to the 3, both in design and materials quality. Just doing a copy and paste with the 3’s interior door cards and console design would seriously improve the S.

Reactions: MarkS22
I have an S 100D as a loaner right now and one of the interior features I miss most from my 3 is the vent adjustment setup. I never realized how stupid it is to do the reach-adjust-reach-adjust dance with vents to get the airflow where I want it.

The whole S interior is very dated compared to the 3, both in design and materials quality. Just doing a copy and paste with the 3’s interior door cards and console design would seriously improve the S.

The S and X are supposed to be the "premiere" cars on the line up and Tesla needs to do something to make the S's interior clearly equal if not better in every way. I agree that right now the 3 is better in many ways.

The S and X are supposed to be the "premiere" cars on the line up and Tesla needs to do something to make the S's interior clearly equal if not better in every way. I agree that right now the 3 is better in many ways.

I suspect that the updated S and X will launch immediately after the tax credit starts expiring. This will prevent those who got the existing interior from being too peeved about missing the boat and those who missed the full tax credit feeling like they got a benefit

Going to disagree in regards to the "slapped on the dash" screen. Can't stand it. I like the air vents of the Model 3 a ton but the screen looks like a cheap after thought.

The cold reality is the the S/X interior doesn't require a major update until these cars need a strong demand stimulus.

+1. they are supply constrained on the S/X batteries --limited to about 100k of them I think. They would prefer to sell the P versions, but other than that as long as they are selling 100k annual of the S/X with the current interior they have no need to generate more demand with any costly redesign and retooling.

But demand might fall when either the tax credits get cut, or the Model 3 starts taking more sales or whatever. Then they should do an update to generate more demand to go back on track for 100k per year.

Status
Not open for further replies.