Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just reading that using rearview cameras can reduce drag by 90% versus conventional mirrors and that alone results in a 3.8% improvement for the vehicle. This was in reference to Honda's new electric "Honda E."
How close (or far) are the feds to legalizing rear view cameras as a complete substitute for outside mirrors? You would have to devote a decent amount of screen area or have a couple of designated screens that would always display what’s behind you from the left and right side.

How close (or far) are the feds to legalizing rear view cameras as a complete substitute for outside mirrors? You would have to devote a decent amount of screen area or have a couple of designated screens that would always display what’s behind you from the left and right side.

The eTron prototype had screens in the door just below the windows, so they were in the same general area as mirrors. Japan has legalized them, but I haven't heard of any other jurisdiction legalizing them yet.

New videos show how Audi E-Tron’s new virtual side mirrors work

The slowness of regulators to legalize cameras to replace mirrors is one of the driving reasons that I think even when self driving tech has been proven it's going to take years before many jurisdictions legalizing it. Rear view cameras are minor tech compared to self driving tech. The problems with rear view cameras are drastically fewer and simpler, yet regulators are hesitating to go for it.

This article from 2014 says mirrors create 2% to 7% drag.
Why It'll Be a While Before We Can Replace Car Mirrors With Cameras

The eTron prototype had screens in the door just below the windows, so they were in the same general area as mirrors. Japan has legalized them, but I haven't heard of any other jurisdiction legalizing them yet.

New videos show how Audi E-Tron’s new virtual side mirrors work

The slowness of regulators to legalize cameras to replace mirrors is one of the driving reasons that I think even when self driving tech has been proven it's going to take years before many jurisdictions legalizing it. Rear view cameras are minor tech compared to self driving tech. The problems with rear view cameras are drastically fewer and simpler, yet regulators are hesitating to go for it.

This article from 2014 says mirrors create 2% to 7% drag.
Why It'll Be a While Before We Can Replace Car Mirrors With Cameras
Lots of e-trons in Europe with video mirrors. Probably around 1000 already in Norway. Quite expensive option so but sure what the take rate will be.

If Tesla also make video mirrors they should make a brighter and bigger screen than the e-tron has, and consider a different position. I guess Tesla will not as long as their home market is not available yet for this tech.

Lots of e-trons in Europe with video mirrors. Probably around 1000 already in Norway. Quite expensive option so but sure what the take rate will be.

If Tesla also make video mirrors they should make a brighter and bigger screen than the e-tron has, and consider a different position. I guess Tesla will not as long as their home market is not available yet for this tech.

The Model X prototype had cameras, but they had to put mirrors on the production cars because US laws are byzantine and strict about physical mirrors and nobody had really done anything to change them. Tesla sells at least 1/2 their cars in the US, so they probably won't have a camera system on production cars until the laws change.

It's probable that 51 laws need to change in the US. Most states have mirror laws and there is a federal law about mirrors. The feds could do a universal law that overrides all state laws, but some yahoos who like mirrors will probably sue over their state's rights being taken away and the whole thing will take another couple of years to sort out in the courts.

Bah, I love everything except the single Model 3 bolt-on screen. Love my integrated screen and instrument cluster. But I also love the possibility of 400 miles of range, getting away from my gen 1 seats, upgraded audio, and FSD. This car would be perfect if they stuck with the integrated portrait-orientation center screen (IMHO).

In addition to the Model Y, Tesla is planning on a full refresh of the Model S, which employees say will likely include an interior with the minimalist look and feel of the newer Model 3, the same drive units and seats used in the higher-end Model 3, and a battery that delivers 400 miles of range on a full charge.

Reactions: Inside
Odd that Tesla isn't doing more to differentiate the S. Sounds like it's basically becoming the "long wheelbase hatchback" version of the 3. Kind of like BMW 3 series GT was to the regular 3 series. When the Y arrives, the difference will basically come down to better looks. That might be fine, but probably doesn't justify the huge price difference (even after the price cuts). Given that Tesla's current strategy is to try and get as many autopilot eqiupped cars on the road in preparation for robotaxis, I'm kind of surprised they don't just kill the S and X since their volumes will increasingly be a drop in the bucket in comparison to the S/Y. If they want to get traditional luxury car margins on those vehicles, they should put some more effort into differentiation.

Have sold my S100D on 5/13/19 (Tesla.com said May delivery) now this news is Model S full refresh. In any case I have a phone call out to a trusted insider to see if it is close to true and if so I’ll cancel my order and wait 3-4 months for the full refresh. I would prefer to rent something and wait than kick myself for simply being prematurely excited about a few extra miles and a P variant. I was never unhappy with my S100D’s performance just jumped on the new pricing and free Ludicrous.

Thank you Tesla for taking sweet time. You may very well have postponed a buyer by 4 months.....

Have sold my S100D on 5/13/19 (Tesla.com said May delivery) now this news is Model S full refresh. In any case I have a phone call out to a trusted insider to see if it is close to true and if so I’ll cancel my order and wait 3-4 months for the full refresh. I would prefer to rent something and wait than kick myself for simply being prematurely excited about a few extra miles and a P variant. I was never unhappy with my S100D’s performance just jumped on the new pricing and free Ludicrous.

Thank you Tesla for taking sweet time. You may very well have postponed a buyer by 4 months.....

Wow, you’d give up free ludicrous for the refresh? Would you just get another 100D then?

Reactions: bhzmark
dont forget if announcement is september, then production/delivery will most likely start at the turn of the year, so this will be more of a 6-8 month delay... Then as first adopter, you will have to deal with panel gaps that are "within spec", misaligned panels, and who knows what other sorts of typical Tesla issues... What a vicious cycle.

Took a test drive in a Raven model S performance. Quite impressed with the suspension in both comfort mode and sport. In comfort mode, suspension felt more compliant over surface roughness and bumps. In sport mode at the limits, turns were sharp and level, more so than my refreshed P90D, not unlike a BMW 5 or 7.

Road noise seem reduced as well but I did not have a decibel meter with me. It may be just enough to pull the trigger on a Raven, just need to find a buyer for my perfect P90D.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.