Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla isn't the first to move the turn signals to the wheel and go "stalkless"...
ferrari-458-interior.jpg

Love the new S overall but disappointed that the Plaid models only come with Carbon fiber trim as an option.

I'm sure there will be plenty of LR buyers offering to swap their wood trim for carbon fiber and several Plaid buyers will want to swap their carbon fiber for wood. Too bad you can't just choose the decor like the good old days (<2017)

I am pleased with the move to the yolk-style steering wheel. In every vehicle I have ever driven, I have always struggled with tilting the wheel into a comfortable position for driving that does not also obstruct the instrument cluster. I cannot recall a vehicle I have driven when I didn't have to move my head down to see the speedometer under the top of the steering wheel. The yolk steering wheel looks to solve that problem and allow an unobstructed view of the entire 12" screen. My only disappointment comes from there being no red "fire" button on the top of the yolk that would allow one to solve the issue with those drivers who putter along in the passing lane oblivious to all around them.

So they decreased drag, put in a heat pump, and a whole new powertrain. Yet somehow the range doesn't really change? So does it have a smaller battery?

You noticed that too?

Cd gets slightly better - range gets slightly better. Ok so far ...

But look at the curb weight - down about 350 pounds (LR model). So it did get the 4680 batteries, just fewer of them. The structural pack for the LR and Plaid will have some "empty cells", the Plaid + will have extra 4680's.

You noticed that too?

Cd gets slightly better - range gets slightly better. Ok so far ...

But look at the curb weight - down about 350 pounds (LR model). So it did get the 4680 batteries, just fewer of them. The structural pack for the LR and Plaid will have some "empty cells", the Plaid + will have extra 4680's.
Elon mentioned last night that the S & X will still use 18650 cells in a newly designed pack. The Plaid+ will have 4680 cells.

I am pleased with the move to the yolk-style steering wheel. In every vehicle I have ever driven, I have always struggled with tilting the wheel into a comfortable position for driving that does not also obstruct the instrument cluster. I cannot recall a vehicle I have driven when I didn't have to move my head down to see the speedometer under the top of the steering wheel. The yolk steering wheel looks to solve that problem and allow an unobstructed view of the entire 12" screen. My only disappointment comes from there being no red "fire" button on the top of the yolk that would allow one to solve the issue with those drivers who putter along in the passing lane oblivious to all around them.

Tesla isn't the first to move the turn signals to the wheel and go "stalkless"...
ferrari-458-interior.jpg

The real issue here is that Tesla is trying to use an F1-style steering wheel in a passenger car... not a good idea for untrained drivers.

IMG_20191231_171250.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: David29
I'm 99%+ sure I'm going to get the plaid+ when it is available. Can't see the logic in giving a free loan of $1K for several months to the richest man in the world? Not a fan of the steering wheel or the fact that the interior cabin cannot be optioned with wood instead of carbon fiber, but perhaps that will change as we have at least 9-10 months before the plaid+ will become available.

Status
Not open for further replies.