Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TMC brain trust: Elon said the S/X would always have the latest tech and company innovations but it’s been 3 years now of the poors with their Model 3s and Ys getting all the new tasty sugar!!

Tesla: /Refreshes Model S/X with a bunch of new and innovative tasty sugar

TMC Brain Trust: There’s no WHEEL in that steering wheel! Turn signals have been on stalks for a hundred years! WHAT DO YOU MEAN the car will select gears for me!?! The SIZE OF MY CELLS is still inferior!!! I dunno about you guys, but I’m a 46MM WIDE KINDA GUY!

I love you bitchy ****ers. Real talk.
But...but...where’s the HUD?

Is looking at the instrument cluster to confirm gear selection before moving not an option for you?
I mean if it works, then great. But I’ve been obsessively watching FSD Beta videos and while they’re incredibly impressive, the car also ****s up a lot and misinterprets what it sees and does the wrong thing because of it. what if I’m sitting behind a semi-truck at a stop light and the car thinks the wall of white in front of it is a car and goes into reverse? Am I expected to check to see if I’m in drive constantly before hitting the go pedal at every red light or stop sign, just in case? Will it work as smoothly when I’m trying to pull out of a tight parallel parking situation, or am I going to have to sit there for multiple seconds after each short maneuver and wait for the car to detect it needs to be in reverse or drive? What if it’s awesome and works perfectly 99 percent of the time, but it ****s up that one time and I reverse into someone, or maybe I notice the issue but have to sit there like an idiot while the driver behind me gets pissed as I wait for the car to correct itself?

Yeah, thinking more on this, Tesla saved me 80-140k (depending on what trim I would have gone with). Tapping up or down on the gear shift was easy and could be done without looking. Fumbling for basically a touchable icon doesn’t sound as nice to me. I can wait. I’m open to having my mind changed, so I’ll test drive it, probably a few times if they don’t give out 24 hour/weekend test drives and see if that convinces me of the new control scheme. If it doesn’t, I’ll just wait a couple of years, maybe longer to see if/when they perfect this stuff.

Tesla's new steering wheel comes with Autopilot sensor-based drive modes, force touch buttons, and more - Electrek

The vehicle uses its Autopilot sensors to intelligently and automatically determine intended drive modes and select them. For example, if the front of Model S/X is facing a garage wall, it will detect this and automatically shift to Reverse once the driver presses the brake pedal. This eliminates one more step for the drivers of the world’s most intelligent production cars.”

That’s quite a change in the way to operate a car, but Tesla is making sure that people are not too confused about it by adding force touch controls for “Park, Reverse, Neutral, and Drive’ drive modes at the base of the phone charger on the center console.”

I’m not going to trust the car whether to put the car to reverse or drive.
The refresh almost tempted me, 1100hp (perhaps only the 3 motors could do it but not the rest of the car - wouldn't be the first time Tesla marketing did that), but advertised 0-60 in <1.99s (at least the first few launches before they start limiting it). My next car budget would cover Plaid+, but seeing the steering wheel gave me pause, I started thinking about parallel parking and tight city driving, then I thought, perhaps it's drive-by-wire and always adjusts, when parallel parking for example the turn of the wheel turns full wheel deflection in <90 degrees or something like that. Then I read the above, though of myself pulling into the garage, hitting the brake one too many times, and the car reverses itself into my garage freezers because it decided to shift to reverse for me. I'm kind of glad I read that, having experienced Tesla software for years (including auto park, EAP, predictive pre-conditioning, etc), no way am I willing for the Tesla software to decide all that for me and do things like shift gear based it's AI (and Tesla taking no responsibility for the results, since I am certain the fine print will say the driver is responsible for any bad decisions the car makes). Also, having experienced MCU failures (both random reboots, etc) I really don't want them to be responsible for things like changing gears - at least the prior generations you could limp home when MCU died.

I am kind of glad Tesla went that far on this refresh, or I would have been very conflicted, with not really wanting another Tesla (software and production quality combined with parts&service) but having a hard time resisting the price/performance. One less dilemma for me, as I was already pretty much decided on an Audi eTron GT RS, if I like it in person, but the fallback would be the Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo (I drove the Taycan, if it was a hatchback I would have had it already - no room for 2 cars for me in the garage, need something which can handle larger cargo from time to time).

On a lighter note, is it time to start another "Model S range and Interion update is imminent" thread? With "imminent" defined as almost 4 years, as the case turned out this time, there could be another refresh in 4 years. ;)

Yeah, thinking more on this, Tesla saved me 80-140k (depending on what trim I would have gone with). Tapping up or down on the gear shift was easy and could be done without looking. Fumbling for basically a touchable icon doesn’t sound as nice to me. I can wait. I’m open to having my mind changed, so I’ll test drive it, probably a few times if they don’t give out 24 hour/weekend test drives and see if that convinces me of the new control scheme. If it doesn’t, I’ll just wait a couple of years, maybe longer to see if/when they perfect this stuff.

R3Q1sRL.png

Reactions: SmartElectric
Any written guarantees for damage and/or tickets for the car not signaling correctly, or deciding to shift into gear on its own when the driver did not expect it? Or does the same "driver is always responsible" disclaimer apply as it did in the past for any "intelligent" decisions Tesla software makes? I wonder if Tesla at least takes the responsibility for test drivers, if I expect the car to shift to drive but it shifted to reverse, when I floor the 1100hp and there was room in front but not behind the car.

EDIT: Neh, I don't really wonder. I am sure they won't take the legal or financial responsibility for any of that.

I've been scratching my head for a while, and taking into account everything (price, interior, exterior, charging, unreliable delivery timelines, ...) I have to say that the Model Y is beginning to look more fitting than ever. Upgrade it to Plaid+ or Cybertruck (or another manufacturer) later when they have gotten the production up to usual speed at competitive price.

I put down $100 on X a few days ago, but tesla just call me and told me that they can't honor the old price and they are going change my order which will be $8k more expensive ($2k less than $10k increase). Anybody experiencing the same?

I can confirm that I got an email from my advisor. They also said that they would "Honor the FSD Price" which suggests they will increase it.

I haven’t been contacted yet and I have a Long Range Plus on order. If this is their offer I will be cancelling. :(

I've been scratching my head for a while, and taking into account everything (price, interior, exterior, charging, unreliable delivery timelines, ...) I have to say that the Model Y is beginning to look more fitting than ever. Upgrade it to Plaid+ or Cybertruck (or another manufacturer) later when they have gotten the production up to usual speed at competitive price.

I'd say the opposite, the Y doesn't make sense at all to me. The 3 is small and sporty but has lower comfort and feels quite cheap, the Y is more expensive but only bigger. Unless on a tighter budget the S looks very good at this point imo.

"Car guesses drive direction" doesn't inspire any confidence at all. I don't want a computer guessing anything. Computers are supposed to be all about precision.

It has nothing to do with age. I've driven cars with push-button automatics, lever- and paddle-shifted automatics, current manual transmissions, a Dodge Fluid-Drive semi-automatic, and an ancient un-synchronized manual that require double-clutching. None of those involved the car guessing what gear I wanted. Although I did get the override harness for the damn 1-4 skip shift on the six-speed sticks.

I do like most of the updates. The center screen appears to be nicely integrated but still more easily removable than the current vertical screen. The base model's performance is now equal or greater than that of my 44K-mile, semi-neutered, gimpy P85DL. Seats look to be more supportive and "buckety", ventilated seats are awesome in the summer (had those on a $40K Impala). The new stereo "sounds" nice on paper at least. Removal of the small triangle windows at the front of the door is both positive and negative. Should prevent air leaks around that area BUT makes the lower-A-pillar blind spot larger.

Lack of height-adjustable belts isn't a big deal for me assuming the relative seating position hasn't changed. Jury is still out on the cupholder locations as I can't see their location in the photos released so far, hopefully they're not as dumb as the original elbow-located ones. I don't really care about rear-seat entertainment, no kids to put back there.

Maybe I'll get one in mid-2023 once they have had two years to work the bugs out (or switch to 4680 cells?) Or at the very least a software update that puts always-available PRND controls in the top-left of the center touch screen and the ability to turn off the automatic forward/reverse selection.

I'd say the opposite, the Y doesn't make sense at all to me. The 3 is small and sporty but has lower comfort and feels quite cheap, the Y is more expensive but only bigger. Unless on a tighter budget the S looks very good at this point imo.

Depends what you're looking for. Cargo-wise the MY is bit taller and shorter than the S. The Model 3 trunk is quite impractical in comparison to the others. My original plan was to get a MXP7 so M3 would might be going too far. The only thing tempting in the Model 3 is the track mode. Well well, the plot thickens, ... Y or 3. With Y would get fresh new battery cells from Giga Berlin, hopefully soon. With 3 would get proven tech at best price ...

So they decreased drag, put in a heat pump, and a whole new powertrain. Yet somehow the range doesn't really change? So does it have a smaller battery?

Alot of this seems like cost cutting that they are disguising as 'new tech'. How could anyone possibly think that buttons on the steering wheel are better than a stalk for turn signals? The only reason to do that is to save cost. Same thing about shitty 'force' buttons instead of real ones.

So they decreased drag, put in a heat pump, and a whole new powertrain. Yet somehow the range doesn't really change? So does it have a smaller battery?

Alot of this seems like cost cutting that they are disguising as 'new tech'. How could anyone possibly think that buttons on the steering wheel are better than a stalk for turn signals? The only reason to do that is to save cost. Same thing about shitty 'force' buttons instead of real ones.

Are you still using a nokia3210 with physical buttons?

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
Status
Not open for further replies.