Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Reading Lights On with "Ding Ding"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model S is running 2019.32.11.1 but since 2019.32.11 I've noticed seemingly random occurrences of a "ding ding" chime and then the two reading lights overhead in the front coming on and staying on for a short time...

What is that??

I searched a bit and found nothing about it... it's not the blind spot warning, is it?

Mine is happening in the daytime without headlights on and behaves differently from a fob press. There’s no double chime sound when pressing my fob to lock or unlock the doors while driving. Only the map lights come on.
It is what I said it is... Sit in your car and press and hold the unlock and the frunk buttons on the fob at the same time.

Last edited:
I had the same problem happen in my June 2017 Model S AP 2.0. If it is a warning of sorts, should there not be an error message flash on the dash display? I did not notice one.

Funny that after 2.5 years and 33k miles it just showed up in the last week or so. Is it tied to a software release? Anyone had this prior to V10?

I had the same problem happen in my June 2017 Model S AP 2.0. If it is a warning of sorts, should there not be an error message flash on the dash display? I did not notice one.

Funny that after 2.5 years and 33k miles it just showed up in the last week or so. Is it tied to a software release? Anyone had this prior to V10?
It is the accidental pressing of 2 buttons on your fob simultaneously usually while in your pocket. No mystery...

Reactions: croman
I'm having this issue as well. This morning I noticed a "p" in place of the cruise control setpoint. It went away, replaced by the normal numbers just as I got the lights on and the ding ding. The key was in the console at the time. Taping the lock icon puts everything back to normal. It has only happened to me in the first couple minutes of a drive.

My S dings at me sometimes when I first open the door. No clue why. It's a tripple ding, about half second apart, not the same sound as an alert and no alert shows up on either screen. I never figured out what it is, chucked it up to a software bug on some components not initializing in sync with each other causing some temporary warning. Not easily reproducible.

Strange coincidence I guess. Just got in car to go home and this just happened to me. Could have happened before I didn’t notice because of “joe mode” in the daytime. the only thing I was doing just prior was my suspension just raised to high from a location based setting. (speed bumps at work)
May not have a thing to do with it tho. The lights did go out after suspension lowered tho. It’s definitely NOT the seat sensor tho. I tried that.
weird

Same issue since V10. Never happened before that. I’m noticed it more if I smart summons the car to a location while sitting in it and then drive it. Just be a firmware bug.

I have had this a few times and recently noticed the main display showed the unlocked icon at the top left. I tapped the icon and the doors locked and the dome lights went off. I believe the car is unlocking itself while driving, not good. As noted above, this has been while driving shortly after using smart summon. And I do not keep the key fob in my pocket.