Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Service Contracts - the poll edition(tm)!

Your opinion of the Tesla service plan announced in the blog post of 9/10/2012?

• Tesla really screwed the pooch on this one -- it costs too much and I'm canceling my reservation!

Votes: 34 12.3%
  • The price is high, it isn't a new model of service. I'll reluctantly pay because I feel I have to.

Votes: 131 47.3%
  • All things considered, it feels roughly in line with what I expected, and I'll pay for it.

Votes: 86 31.0%
  • Tesla's service plans are a great deal and I'll happily pay it!

Votes: 26 9.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My experience says that if you are using all caps, you should cancel.

I agree. It's not worth buying something when you start at zero being very upset about the purchase. Best to reconsider it and see how you feel later.

sp4rk : Also, I don't remember Tesla saying "maintenance free" just that maintenance would be minimal and less than an ICE over time. It still is a car with moving parts so some maintenance is required. The $600 is likely helping to pay for all the service centers and Tesla Rangers which aren't cheap. As others have pointed out, there is no such thing as 'free maintenance', just a fee that is built into the cost of the car so it is hidden in a sense.

Tesla is a newish, fast growing company that doesn't have the economies of scale larger car companies have. This will be expensive and they will make mistakes. Everything I've seen so far is that Tesla usually works it out in the end or makes a good faith effort but no one is perfect. They can't satisfy everyone and will anger some people with their decisions. Hopefully they make enough right decisions to keep them going and profitable at some point.

I agree with basically everything you said. I do understand why people are upset but agree that if this expensive maintenance plan breaks the bank then possibly delaying the Model S purchase or even canceling until it makes better financial sense might be the way to go for some people. I seriously doubt they can keep this kind of maintenance schedule for the Model E (or whatever 3rd gen car will be called) so I hope it is included in the price or comes down.

I don't think Tesla will be able to sell 20k units with all of these shenanigans they are pulling. If they follow the overpromise and underdeliver path that they have been on, they are toast. The problem is that this time, they are too big to only sell a few(like the roadster). Ev's already have a bad name, this is only making it worse.

Like I have said before, Tesla needs to fire a select few of these clowns that make these decisions to post these half-assed explanations. They are suicide for any company, and especially for a company with so many headwinds.

The fine text under the service plans says the warranty doesn't cover ranger trips:

I guess if you buy the $2400 plan you're covered, but you're basically pre-paying $500 towards ranger visits (as compared to the $1900 plan). The $1900 plan looks like a no-brainer if you're planning on keeping the car long term like I am and live near a service station.

Unless you plan to go on a trips. The Ranger visit would cover those too.

- - - Updated - - -

Other than wipers, brakes and tires, what else is there to maintain on an EV? Is an annual inspection required to maintain the warranty? If so, $600 seems steep to me.

Once you replace a couple of HID bulbs, you won't think it's expensive.

- - - Updated - - -

And I will admit that I have had a couple of $600 services. One on my Jetta TDI at 40k, and one on my GTI at 80k.

I never had a TDI service that was as low as $600 ($675 was the lowest). Most were over $1200 and a few were over $2000. A truly horrible car.

<shrug>

I'm with NigelM on this one. I'd prefer 4 years of bundled maintenance. Who wouldn't? But the price seems in line with the competition. Given the software updates and the risks inherent in all the new hardware, the value is probably better. And if adding $600/year to the total cost gives you financial heartburn, walk away now. You're probably stretching too much for you own good.

I agree that by the time they get to the GenIII, they'll have a better handle on true maintenance burden and will likely be able to bundle the cost of 4 years of maintenance into the price of the car. But that's another car on another day.

sp4rk : Also, I don't remember Tesla saying "maintenance free" just that maintenance would be minimal and less than an ICE over time.

David, the problem with that logic is that we've shown a few times that their maintenance plan is actually more expensive than comparable ICEs. Tesla has usually fixed things people felt were wrong, but as of late their communication just hasn't been up to snuff. I can't even remember the last "newsletter" that went out.

To me, early adopter means dealing with some bugs and issues, not getting raked over the coals.

I can see I'm a lone voice on this one, so I'm gonna keep it short.....:wink:

1. As a Roadster owner I like, no love, the Tesla service standard. It surpasses anything I've come across in years of driving a multitude of cars including some very high-priced ones. The convenience alone of having Tesla come to me would be worth the money; after all, time is money and there's nothing more irritating than sitting at an auto-dealer somewhere (why are they never within walking distance of anywhere useful?) waiting for a service to be completed.

2. TANSTAAFL - I know that whenever I've had a car where the service/maintenance was "free" it just means I paid upfront in the purchase price. Sure it can be argued that Tesla should do that, but IMO it's preferable that they are open with the costs and giving a choice if you want it.

3. We're buying $100k cars FCOL. What's with all the anguish of buying first class service to take care of them for a few hundred bucks? If it's a hardship for anyone then they should really consider whether they should buy a Model S at all; I'd always advise anyone not to overstretch themselves.

4. I also don't see a problem with the 12k stuff. Every car I ever owned had maintenance schedules shorter than that.

5. Buying in advance to get a discount is also rather attractive. I'm sure that didn't happen when I paid upfront in the purchase price for other cars.

(Ties on blindfold, but declines the last cigarette...)

OK, fire away....

Not the lone voice on this one. I've been purposely not posting on this, waiting to see where it all went. There is never *free* maintenance, not even the first year. Maintenance costs are built into the price of the car. Tesla could have done that, they didn't.

As a Roadster owner, I can tell you that Tesla service is world class. (Thank you Jake, Johnny, Joost, James, Jason, and Garrett.) I was bothered by the annual fee until their in-depth inspection uncovered things I had not noticed. (Really, all four shocks? I didn't notice a thing.) The battery is bled, cells are inspected and IF there is a problem, they fix it. Everything is checked. I'd rather invest that money yearly to have things covered, than not.

I can afford the service plan. I just think it's a bad move on Tesla's part. It really undermines the low maintenance argument. I have some other questions. I wonder if the $100 Ranger thing will apply to the Roadster? What happens if I have service requirements on both cars - do I pay twice?

Last edited:
David, the problem with that logic is that we've shown a few times that their maintenance plan is actually more expensive than comparable ICEs. Tesla has usually fixed things people felt were wrong, but as of late their communication just hasn't been up to snuff. I can't even remember the last "newsletter" that went out.

To me, early adopter means dealing with some bugs and issues, not getting raked over the coals.

I understand where you are coming from. I meant to say they never said the car would be 'maintenance free' as sp4rk indicated since that's impossible. It sounds like their maintenance plan is on the expensive side but not outrageously expensive. It's just that it isn't built into the cost of the car so it stands out. I could be wrong though of course.

To me being an early adopter also means paying a hefty premium on top of dealing with bugs, delays...etc. I agree, it doesn't mean getting raked over the coals so I hope that's not what Tesla is doing to its customers. That hasn't been my experience with Tesla but some early Roadster owners had a different experience.

I'm not so sure, in an Apples-for-Apples comparison.

Eg; Maintenance Program Upgrade - BMW North America
Thanks for finding this. They do extend it to 100,000 miles and 6 years but it is $3,495 for the M5 ($583/year) which is closest comparable car to the Performance car I'm getting. It's $2,295 for 6 years for the 5 series BMW or a little under $400/year. The 100,000 mile coverage is the big advantage in their extended warranty.

Last edited:
Not the lone voice on this one. I've been purposely not posting on this, waiting to see where it all went. There is never *free* maintenance, not even the first year. Maintenance costs are built into the price of the car. Tesla could have done that, they didn't.

As a Roadster owner, I can tell you that Tesla service is world class. (Thank you Jake, Johnny, Joost, James, Jason, and Garrett.) I was bothered by the annual fee until their in-depth inspection uncovered things I had not noticed. (Really, all four shocks? I didn't notice a thing.) The battery is bled, cells are inspected and IF there is a problem, they fix it. Everything is checked. I'd rather invest that money yearly to have things covered, than not.

+1, and then some. Let's remember that Tesla is building all this stuff from scratch. They will likely lose money on most of the service centers for at least the first year or two, until the car population fills in. I also see this as a get-what-you-pay-for situation. Those who have not experienced the Tesla cheerful, dedicated, resourceful, respectful, creative, timely service ethic will hopefully find out that it is absolutely worth $50/month. Can you say the same of your cable company, that charges you twice this much?!

I can see I'm a lone voice on this one, so I'm gonna keep it short.....:wink:

1. As a Roadster owner I like, no love, the Tesla service standard. It surpasses anything I've come across in years of driving a multitude of cars including some very high-priced ones. The convenience alone of having Tesla come to me would be worth the money; after all, time is money and there's nothing more irritating than sitting at an auto-dealer somewhere (why are they never within walking distance of anywhere useful?) waiting for a service to be completed.

2. TANSTAAFL - I know that whenever I've had a car where the service/maintenance was "free" it just means I paid upfront in the purchase price. Sure it can be argued that Tesla should do that, but IMO it's preferable that they are open with the costs and giving a choice if you want it.

3. We're buying $100k cars FCOL. What's with all the anguish of buying first class service to take care of them for a few hundred bucks? If it's a hardship for anyone then they should really consider whether they should buy a Model S at all; I'd always advise anyone not to overstretch themselves.

4. I also don't see a problem with the 12k stuff. Every car I ever owned had maintenance schedules shorter than that.

5. Buying in advance to get a discount is also rather attractive. I'm sure that didn't happen when I paid upfront in the purchase price for other cars.

(Ties on blindfold, but declines the last cigarette...)

OK, fire away....

I'll side with you.

We're all early adopters.
We've all researched this to the hilt and are, on a daily basis, nit-picking every single aspect of this care and the company putting it together.

I would argue that we've all lost perspective.

When you bought your last car, did you spend hundreds of hours examining every detail of how it was made, each and every option available, and place all this under a microscope to critically dissect? I don't think so. But that's what we early adopters are doing to the Model S.

Think about why Roadster owners aren't complaining about the service fees. Why is that?

No maintenance plan is free--the cost is built in to the car. Because we are Americans, we believe the BS we are given about it being "free" just like we believe the word "Sale" means you are getting a bargain. Last I checked, you never pay full price for anything at most department stores because things are ALWAYS on sale. Tesla says, "here's what it costs" and we freak out because it's not hidden in the price of the car. Maybe they should make the list price of the Model S $5,000 more, then put the car "on sale." Would you feel better about it then?

When you adopt technology early, you get the cool gadget and can be the first of your friends to experience it. It's part cool new toy, part bragging rights, and it's partly that you like messing around with new technology. And this car IS new technology. But with all new technology, there are glitches and flaws. You're gonna get that here, too. The difference, however, is that Tesla is actually listening to us and, ON THE FLY, adapting. Fixes for creep mode, changed visor lights, redesigned head room in the back, removing carbon fiber near the undercarriage, software fixes, friggin' drink holders and storage space devices, the list goes on and on. When was the last time Apple changed a feature of the iphone on short notice because people complained (yes, I know about the antenna workaround)? Samsung? Sony?

If you don't have a high tolerance for the unknown, for imperfection, for inconvenience, you should not be an early adopter of the Model S. And you don't get the goodies, either. One way or another, we all have to make decisions, and my gut says side with the Roadster owners.

Thanks Bonnie. I would be upset if I paid $600 for what most dealers call an inspection. This inspection sounds well worth it.

So, let's make this positive... other than "free" or something that's just incredibly stupid, how much is fair for the service levels announced yesterday?

Personally, for me to say that Tesla has truly "changed the service landscape" and "changed the model", the Ranger-included service would need to be priced at about $2500 for 6 years _OR_ make service "all included" for the $2400 for 4 years -- meaning EVERYTHING included, parts too (except battery).

Last edited:
Think about why Roadster owners aren't complaining about the service fees. Why is that?

How much did the base model Roadster cost? $109,000 a few years ago?????

...different income/financial bracket....

With the model s advertised at $57,400 base....different income/financial bracket....

harder to absorb the impact of charge upon charge....

....that and the fact that Tesla said the model s would be cheaper to maintain .... not so.

I agree with the statement that service is not free from other car makers; that it is built into the price of the car. My complaint is that when I buy a Caddy, a BMW, Lexus, even a Prius, service for a period of time is included. Even though I am paying for it in the price of the car at the time of purchase, it is a "feature" that, IMO elevates the Caddy et al. above the Model S.

Further, since the cost of service is "rolled" into the price of those cars, the cost differential between those cars and the Model S is even greater, as the true cost of those cars, when service (maintennance) is subtracted is approximately $2K less. Tesla promotes the car as having 1000 fewer parts than an ICE, yet then charges ICE prices for service (maintennance).

I can afford the $600 service (maintennance) charge. However, I object to having to pay for service for the Model S when a buyer of its competition does not (as the cost has been hidden in the selling price of the car). I believe people will look at this charge as a negative and decide against the car.

What tesla should have done is roll the cost of the service (maintennce) into the price of the car, so that the service (maintennance) cost is not "visible" to the buyer, as other car makers do.

Unless you plan to go on a trips. The Ranger visit would cover those too.

- - - Updated - - -

Once you replace a couple of HID bulbs, you won't think it's expensive.

- - - Updated - - -

I never had a TDI service that was as low as $600 ($675 was the lowest). Most were over $1200 and a few were over $2000. A truly horrible car.

As far as I've heard we don't yet know which components will be covered as part of this fee. They've mentioned wiper blades and brakes but that's all we really know at this point so I'd really like to see the complete list of what will be replaced for free as part of this plan to have a better understanding of its value.

At this point I'm inclined to say that it sounds expensive for a car that's supposed to be low maintenance.

Fundamentally, I can pay the service fee. I think it's a reasonable fee that reflects service for a car.

Is it a "new model" for automotive service? Not unless you consider the Ranger service -- but even then my local Chevy dealership will come fetch my car from my house, work on it, and bring it back when they're finished at no additional price (even towing if they have to).

I guess I'm more concerned with the claim that it's a new level of automotive service; my response? "No it's not." It doesn't reflect the selling point that it's less expensive to maintain anymore.

Tesla seems to be setting up themselves for a huge legal battle. The most problematic thing about this whole ordeal is the service monopoly. Most car companies who do have a service monopoly include maintenance, for this very reason. It should be interesting to see how this plays out. Personally I do not see this new service plan being viable in its current iteration. We may see a lot of neglected Model S' in a few years which could have a significant impact on resale value.