Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S software/firmware changelog

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got Version 6.0 (v2.0.81) last week while at a service center. That version enables "You can now open your charge port by pressing and holding the trunk button on your key fob." as listed under 6.1.

My understanding is that the Tesla has about 50 different processors, many of them small dedicated processors with limited functionality.

I was wondering how the software in all of these processors gets updated? Is that part of the big package software or is there some other method?

As far as we know, they are all part of the single update package. What we don't really know if there are different packages depending on hardware configuration or if all the different possible software is bundled in the package and the car loads the appropriate modules based on the hardware.

As far as we know, they are all part of the single update package. What we don't really know if there are different packages depending on hardware configuration or if all the different possible software is bundled in the package and the car loads the appropriate modules based on the hardware.

It would be difficult to maintain different software packages for all of the different hardware variations. More likely there is a hardware configuration file (or discovery) which sets the hardware options and the software adapts.

Software update 2.2.176, International Keyboard

I see a new international keyboard in the 176 update.
2_2_176 Keyboard.jpg

Thanks for doing all this work.

My understanding is that the Tesla has about 50 different processors, many of them small dedicated processors with limited functionality.

I was wondering how the software in all of these processors gets updated? Is that part of the big package software or is there some other method?
As additional insight into the firmware for all of the different processors....
I recently had an odd intermittent problem which gave the error message "Driver Assistance Features Unavailable" and the logs didn't show anything. I left it at the service center for a day and they were able to find the problem and told me that they updated "the firmware". My car was on .168 both before and after the update so they probably updated some of the other processors in the car. Haven't had the problem since.
So... the software version you see on the screen is just the main software. There is a lot of other "firmware" running on the 50+ other processors that may or may not be updated with the main software.

I thought they were going to improve the map routing???
before when I plotted Houston to Miami, it routed me north to Minneapolis then over to Chicago and then down through Atlanta to Maimi.
NOW with the new 239; it routes me Northwest to Denver up to Wyoming then over through South Dakota AND THEN to Minneapolis and so on?

What gives? I can see a perfect rout direct east on interstate 10.

I thought they were going to improve the map routing???
before when I plotted Houston to Miami, it routed me north to Minneapolis then over to Chicago and then down through Atlanta to Maimi.
NOW with the new 239; it routes me Northwest to Denver up to Wyoming then over through South Dakota AND THEN to Minneapolis and so on?

What gives? I can see a perfect rout direct east on interstate 10.

The onboard route planner is only taking Superchargers into account, and only if they are close enough to each other to make the next one reachable with a good margin.
To simulate this, go visit http://supercharge.info/, go to Map Options, turn all circles on, and set the range of those circles to 85 miles.
Then you can visually see where the circles overlap. And where they don't. If the circles don't overlap, the onboard nav will not consider that route.
See that gap right around Biloxi, MS? That's why they are sending you to Minnesota first. And the gap north of Council Bluffs, IA is probably why its sending you to Denver and South Dakota first. :)

This 85 mile radius number is my guess based on how conservative the route planning is and a few real-world road trips. it's a rule of thumb, not a calculation. It is the measure I've used for my trips, and is pretty close to what the car measures. in fact, the new software is even MORE risk-averse... 80 or 75 miles would be even more appropriate, especially for a 70kWh battery.

Until the coverage gaps are complete enough with Superchargers, you will still have to do some manual trip planning using evtripplanner.com and / or plugshare.com.

The onboard route planner is only taking Superchargers into account, and only if they are close enough to each other to make the next one reachable with a good margin.
To simulate this, go visit http://supercharge.info/, go to Map Options, turn all circles on, and set the range of those circles to 85 miles.
Then you can visually see where the circles overlap. And where they don't. If the circles don't overlap, the onboard nav will not consider that route.
See that gap right around Biloxi, MS? That's why they are sending you to Minnesota first. And the gap north of Council Bluffs, IA is probably why its sending you to Denver and South Dakota first. :)

This 85 mile radius number is my guess based on how conservative the route planning is and a few real-world road trips. it's a rule of thumb, not a calculation. It is the measure I've used for my trips, and is pretty close to what the car measures. in fact, the new software is even MORE risk-averse... 80 or 75 miles would be even more appropriate, especially for a 70kWh battery.

Until the coverage gaps are complete enough with Superchargers, you will still have to do some manual trip planning using evtripplanner.com and / or plugshare.com.

Thanks for the reply. I mistakenly assumed these updates where tailored to each car (or had the ability to adapt to each car's makeup).
That being said; is there some way I can adjust the range? I am sure I can get 250 miles per charge if I keep my speed down to the limit.
That should give me a 125 mile radius.

\Larry

Received 2.2.239 today.

regen for p85d seems more aggressive when releasing accellerator.
Had to laugh when I read this. Not at the poster, but at the general repetition of it.

Old
"Received firmware ___, regen seems ___ than before."
"Received firmware ___, 0-60 seems ___ than before."

Newish
"Received firmware ___, blind spot warning seems ___ than before."

FYI
Just got the car back from standard annual service. I had FW 2.4.239 (which, ironically, i received three days before) and they installed 2.4.245 in the car during the service.
I have no idea what the changes are though.

Build245.png

Cheers,
ElectricSteve from Switzerland

S85, RWD, Mid 2014 (Pre Sensor-suite), Full-options (except rear-facing seats).