Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a button right above the map next to the search box. It's been there from the very beginning. Not sure I understood your request right. The voice command is missing, but voice commands are a joke anyway.
Yes, I find the little centering button at the top of the nav screen very helpful when I have moved the map to take a look at the route or expand it to take a closer look. Push the button and nav goes right back to normal.

@iffatall, Thanks! Worked like you said. Voice command was just something I thought might make centering easier, but this is great! Thanks again!

You're welcome. I can't help feel a little sorry you had to live without it until now, picturing the pain of having to drag the map all the time.

Guess the joke went over my head because the Slacker "play", "Navigate to", "call _____", commands work great.

I meant the number of functions voice commands could perform was a joke anyway - given what GoTslaGo was requesting.

But now that you mention, it, I believe the few functions that are meant to function also don't work well or are not designed well.
For example, the call function only takes a name, and then I have to interact with the screen to pick the number (mobile/home/work/etc) anyway. This kinda defeats the purpose.
Also, it does not catch my command often. It does most of the time, but it doesn't often enough for me to categorize it as unreliable. Of course YMMV there.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoTslaGo
You're welcome. I can't help feel a little sorry you had to live without it until now, picturing the pain of having to drag the map all the time.

I meant the number of functions voice commands could perform was a joke anyway - given what GoTslaGo was requesting.

But now that you mention, it, I believe the few functions that are meant to function also don't work well or are not designed well.
For example, the call function only takes a name, and then I have to interact with the screen to pick the number (mobile/home/work/etc) anyway. This kinda defeats the purpose.
Also, it does not catch my command often. It does most of the time, but it doesn't often enough for me to categorize it as unreliable. Of course YMMV there.

Okay, agree on the number but I knew it's capabilities before I bought the car so no disappointment here. My past cars (MB, Porsche, Lexes, BMW) had many more commands but not nearly as accurate as the Tesla in voice recognition.

I second this earlier request:

More granular control over equalizer. Five band by 4 channel or 10 band by 2 channel parametric equalizer built in, along with, wait for it... Savable presets that could be customized by the user and selected at will (useful for audiobooks too). Even just 10 band equalizer instead of the current 3-band would be an improvement and then have maybe no more than 5 pre-sets or custom profiles.

A very simple but I think meaningful improvement:
For those with parking sensors, why do we have a graphic display of where the sensed object is but not an audible indication? We have over six speakers in the car, so making the sound indicating object proximity come from the direction in which the obstruction is would make it much easier to avoid a collision. Hearing a "Bong" when you are close to something doesn't do much in a car that makes more electronic noises than a Daft Punk concert, but having a sound coming from the specific angle in which the offending object is would make the sound stand out much better.
So the short version:
* Make object proximity noises when parking come from the direction where the object is by using the quadraphonic system in the onboard audio.

- Would like to have Text to Voice which would read incoming text messages to your phone. Ford and others have that capability
- When I park, the steering wheel needs to move back and away to make it waister to get out of the vehicle.
- Navigate and Autonomous navigation mode needs to show speed limit on the current road (on cars without autopilot)
- Need better smarter Weather Radar & weather display rather than just some image on a web page. Perhaps a Weather App.
- More robust voice commands such as phone dialing. No reason it can't be completely hands free.
- I don't know if this can be addressed in software but the Speaker Phone is terrible on both ends. Many cars our there you can't even tell that the person in the car in on a speaker phone... Again, Ford, Hyundai, Genesis, and others...

Text to Voice works just fine in both my old Model S (an early model) and my Model X, so I am pretty sure this is a problem with your phone (I'm using a Windows Phone, but it also works on an iPhone).

Is it currently possible to tell each rear door a different thing for child locking? If not, that would be a major important add on for me, as my school drop offs go like this:

Rear driver's side is my 3 year old who cannot be trusted with the door latch at all.

Rear passenger's side is my 6 year old who I have to drop off at the curb, so he needs to be able to open up his own door. Also, there are kids that help open the door, but I think that the exterior door handle will likely be a major point of confusion for the average 4th grader so my son should really be able to open his own door from the inside.

This all equals that that left rear door needs to be child locked and the right rear door needs to not be child locked. Is this currently possible?

If not, add to list. If so, sorry for the post. I have just never seen this mentioned anywhere.

Cheers.

+1 for this!

Since tesla has obviously been working on this for the past 3.5 years, I'm very optimistic that this feature will come very soon.

I am eagerly awaiting delivery of my model S (knowing that it will take a few months)… but on to my idea:

My Mercedes Viano has a feature whereby holding the “internal recirculation” button will close all windows and the sunroof (if open), and put the ventilation into recirc mode. Holding that button again will drop the windows to the position that they were in, as well as the sunroof. As the model S has the sensors plus a forward facing camera, I think it would be brilliant to have a “smart tunnel” mode. The tunnels over here have overhead lights at very regular (and close) intervals. If the car can determine it is in a tunnel, it should do the same as the Merc, albeit automatically (close the windows and sunroof, engage the recirc).

I live in Switzerland near Zürich. Driving south towards Klosters means driving through a lot of tunnels. I would even be happy with a learn mode, whereby I tell it when we are entering and existing the tunnel. Thereafter the GPS coordinates would trigger the action of closing or opening everything up.

So, doable idea ?

Are we ready to do another voting round on software features?
Not IMHO, but I'll consider participating if the larger group takes up the mission.

My opinion will likely remain like that until there is something more than supposition the previous effort resulted in positive change from our Owner's POV, and Tesla demonstrates it is willing to listen and prioritize firmware fixes and enhancements which are not related to media-discussed safety considerations or Autopilot. Doing the work one time was great, and I appreciate what you and Corbin did spearheading the effort, but I hate seeing people spend significant amounts of additional time going through the motions if nothing comes of it, except for the activity itself and perhaps generating false hope.

(Not to take this thread off-track, but if folks have not seen it, this article from USA Today yesterday brings attention to this prioritization problem some of us have discussed before on TMC. Perhaps that not-so-positive media focus will be additional impetus for change within Tesla, and will make a future voting round more effective. Tesla is not the early startup that it was with only cash rich early owner-adopters who would accept some of these things. As it matures, looks for profitable growth and mass-acceptance of their products, and the competition begins nipping at it's heels, shifting some technical resource to continually focus on firmware fixes and broader firmware enhancements will improve customer satisfaction and likely improve more than just MS as part of the fleet.)​

Last edited: