Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
* Mirror tilt in reverse (mine doesn't work)
* Fix homelink (when using my gate, it somehow signals it to start then stop. haven't had this problem with any other homelink)
* Maps: show estimated time including traffic effect. mine only shows estimated time in no traffic, which is useless. haven't found a setting to fix this. happens even when traffic displaying properly
* Ride height raise to max automatically when I get to a set destination on map (raise car for my steep driveway)
* Pop up "unlock charge door" big button when I pull into my garage
* Time bounded charging (as others have suggested)
* Bigger homelink buttons (as others have suggested)
* better options for favorite destinations on the map
* offline map storage (as others have suggested)
* projected car position on backup camera (audi has a nice implementation)

* Cool chrono apps in the performance model. Look at the software porsche is now delivering with Sport Chrono pack on 991s, or what Nissan delivered with the GTR (designed by the Playstation Grand Turismo team). Lots of fun stuff you could put in. Or look at what harry's lap timer delivers on the iphone, though the interface on that is pretty horrible.

Last edited:
@josh: good list, but notes on these two:
* Mirror tilt in reverse (mine doesn't work)
Have you set the position of the side mirrors while in Reverse?
* More incements in sound volume. 0-11 is clever but I'd rather have 0-30
In the current software, there are unmarked sub-increments, giving about 30 distinct settings.

About the North Up vs. Direction of Travel map orientation: it's a brain thing. Some people hold an image of the wide environment and compass directions in their heads, and others have a procedural "action-oriented" mapping mind. More or less male/female, respectively. Directions to/from the second type consist of tracking between landmarks. The first type takes any path that leads in the right general direction.

I would love to see a SDK released so that custom apps can be written. Ideally there should be access to GPIO lines and/or the CAN bus for custom add-ons. For example, it would allow for clean integration of 3rd party add-ons (i.e. parking sensors, etc).

I'd like to configure which handles auto present. 90% of the time I'm the only passenger, I don't want/need all 4 handles in use each time (I can double click the fob for all 4 when I need that). My wife's Acura has a similar feature about which doors unlock with one or two presses of the fob.

I think in general anything that allows a web page in the console get read access to live car information (starting with HTML5 location APIs and also maybe a custom Javascript object to get other car data and events); plus a reliable offline page cache + HTML 5 data support on the browser would open the floodgates of a lot of innovation on the interaction side.

- Soflauthor1 already created a Valet page that has driving instructions. Imagine if you could make the valet page track distance, max speed, acceleration, and send you an alert if you go out more than N miles.
- HTML5 microphone support would allow you to use google voice search or a bunch of other web-based apps that are starting to add voice. Have folks tested if google.com allow voice input from the center console right now from a desktop browser?

For parking and situational awareness, software guides for backing up are IMO a minimum, and if hardware changes are allowed the "360 view" that was posted some time ago would be nice, as well as some HUD action and moving object highlight (some image processing can do wonders)

If you ask me, the Google maps is a very bad guidance experience while driving. It's way worse than you'd get on any $200 phone. The experience of not having 'perspective' 3D, heading-up, and voice-based search of POIs and other basic features seems like the "real" nav was an area that was 'cut' and replaced with a patch.

Josh might be using a J1772 with the adapter in his garage instead of the mobile connector.

exactly! a free Blink charger that came with my leaf.

- - - Updated - - -

@josh: good list, but notes on these two:

Have you set the position of the side mirrors while in Reverse?

Hmm maybe not, will try!

In the current software, there are unmarked sub-increments, giving about 30 distinct settings.

Great catch, good point. will amend my list! Also adding: car projection on backup camera. when implemented well (on my audi) or even basic (on acura) it's helpful for backup, especially with such a huge car.

About the North Up vs. Direction of Travel map orientation: it's a brain thing. Some people hold an image of the wide environment and compass directions in their heads, and others have a procedural "action-oriented" mapping mind. More or less male/female, respectively. Directions to/from the second type consist of tracking between landmarks. The first type takes any path that leads in the right general direction.

Whoa. Talk about generalizations.

not_sure_if_srs.jpg

If you ask me, the Google maps is a very bad guidance experience while driving. It's way worse than you'd get on any $200 phone. The experience of not having 'perspective' 3D, heading-up, and voice-based search of POIs and other basic features seems like the "real" nav was an area that was 'cut' and replaced with a patch.

I don't know about your Model S but mine shows a perspective view, heading-up / forward, with topographical detail on the instrument panel while following directions and allows voice-based search of POI. It's head and shoulders above the navigation experience on our Lexus. There's nothing that isn't "real" about the solution for me – with the notable exception of not having a set of named destinations saved.

Last edited:
I'd like the bluetooth to connect to the drivers smart phone. My wife and I both drive our Mod S, although it's usually me driving. I want the bluetooth to selection to be saved in the driver's profile, so when my wife drives the bluetooth is connected to her phone and when I drive its connected to mine.