Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car has passenger detectors in the seat. Now that CA has removed carpool lane access for white sticker cars it would be nice if the navigation had a option to smart select when to route on carpool lanes, (when there are passengers) so we don't have to manually set and unset it each time. I realize this can cause issues for people who put heavy objects on the seats. However it should be fairly friendly to use as long as it's an option.

5 days after taking V9, and no longer having the camera on top, I quit using the camera altogether. And on that 5th day, I hit a truck in my rear right blind spot. If THAT isn't reason for a lawsuit, nothing is!

so did people sue car manufacturers before there were even cameras avaialble? Nope, because its your responsibility to use your mirrors and/or actually turn your head and look behind you.

Reactions: Donz_S
I would like to see the bugs in the current software fixed.
Yesterday when I went to start the car the touch screen was unresponsive so I couldn't open the garage door until I had rebooted.
Spotify works 50% of the time if I am lucky. Most of the time it sits there with the cursor circulating and waiting.
On average I have to reboot about every 3 or 4 days, and then it suddenly reboots itself while I am driving.
I love driving this car but I just hope the serious software that controls the car has been tested a little more than the user interface! :-(

Yesterday when I went to start the car the touch screen was unresponsive so I couldn't open the garage door until I had rebooted.
Spotify works 50% of the time if I am lucky. Most of the time it sits there with the cursor circulating and waiting.
On average I have to reboot about every 3 or 4 days, and then it suddenly reboots itself while I am driving.
I love driving this car but I just hope the serious software that controls the car has been tested a little more than the user interface! :-(
...one other thought besides what @HankLloydWright suggested (he beat me to it): Are you using USB music or have anything plugged into one of the USB ports?

Your symptoms are similar to issues I and others occasionally have playing USB music and/or long-standing Media Player failures that appear to sometimes infiltrate other functions running on the CID as well -- as to if it's really Media Player failing first, or another part of the code that causes MP to fail -- only Tesla could likely figure it out for sure. Some of us have reported variants of these problems for more than 3 years with limited improvement. From my experience, when the programming breaks, it sometimes causes only USB music to no longer work (everything grey'd out, or the USB device that was formerly working without being physically touched seems to be recognized by the interface but won't scan or play); other times all of Media Player including streaming and FM sources become unresponsive while the rest of the CID functionality continues operation -- sometimes with the rotating "wait wheel", more often MP just seems to have died; upon occasion I've had the CID become completely unresponsive; and like you, an unexpected reboot can occur while driving, after I get into the car and move into Drive, or appears to have taken place while the car was locked and I was away.

The (temporary) solution to all is a "full reboot": foot on brake; hold both scroll wheels until the Tesla T appears on the CID and let up on all 3. I play USB music 99% of the time (never goes off unless MP fails), and with my many format/naming/tagging workarounds to reduce USB MP-specific problems, I still have unexpected failures every few days or weeks. It's frustrating, but I don't believe resolution is a priority for Tesla after all this time has passed, so the "full reboot" process gets me going again while I sigh to myself about how much better my ownership experience would be if programming quality was more of a focus and failures like this were resolved for the fleet.

Good luck.

...one other thought besides what @HankLloydWright suggested (he beat me to it): Are you using USB music or have anything plugged into one of the USB ports?

Your symptoms are similar to issues I and others occasionally have playing USB music and/or long-standing Media Player failures that appear to sometimes infiltrate other functions running on the CID as well -- as to if it's really Media Player failing first, or another part of the code that causes MP to fail -- only Tesla could likely figure it out for sure. Some of us have reported variants of these problems for more than 3 years with limited improvement. From my experience, when the programming breaks, it sometimes causes only USB music to no longer work (everything grey'd out, or the USB device that was formerly working without being physically touched seems to be recognized by the interface but won't scan or play); other times all of Media Player including streaming and FM sources become unresponsive while the rest of the CID functionality continues operation -- sometimes with the rotating "wait wheel", more often MP just seems to have died; upon occasion I've had the CID become completely unresponsive; and like you, an unexpected reboot can occur while driving, after I get into the car and move into Drive, or appears to have taken place while the car was locked and I was away.

The (temporary) solution to all is a "full reboot": foot on brake; hold both scroll wheels until the Tesla T appears on the CID and let up on all 3. I play USB music 99% of the time (never goes off unless MP fails), and with my many format/naming/tagging workarounds to reduce USB MP-specific problems, I still have unexpected failures every few days or weeks. It's frustrating, but I don't believe resolution is a priority for Tesla after all this time has passed, so the "full reboot" process gets me going again while I sigh to myself about how much better my ownership experience would be if programming quality was more of a focus and failures like this were resolved for the fleet.

Good luck.
Thanks Bert for your thoughts.
However I don't use the USB slots for anything other than a USB Drive for the dashcam. I don't play music from a USB Drive. The only music I get is when Spotify occasionally decides to work.
I guess I get nervous when I am driving along not touching anything and the screen goes black, and then a minute or two later it reboots.
I have spent my life in the software business and can only imagine the quality of the software if it does this sort of thing.
Interestingly I have thought a lot about the future of the Tesla cars and the one thing that will keep them alive and selling will be software upgrades. It would seem that my Model S has a lot of hardware that is built in but not accessible to the user. Spending a few dollars on one or two programmers could pay enormous dividends in keeping Teslas ahead of the rapidly approaching competition from established car companies. The build quality and overall comfort of my Model S is not a patch on the five year old Audi A7 I sold after I bought my Tesla, so the only thing that will keep Tesla able to compete will be software. Unfortunately Tesla doesn't seem to grasp that.

Thanks Bert for your thoughts.
However I don't use the USB slots for anything other than a USB Drive for the dashcam. I don't play music from a USB Drive. The only music I get is when Spotify occasionally decides to work.
I guess I get nervous when I am driving along not touching anything and the screen goes black, and then a minute or two later it reboots.
I have spent my life in the software business and can only imagine the quality of the software if it does this sort of thing.
Interestingly I have thought a lot about the future of the Tesla cars and the one thing that will keep them alive and selling will be software upgrades. It would seem that my Model S has a lot of hardware that is built in but not accessible to the user. Spending a few dollars on one or two programmers could pay enormous dividends in keeping Teslas ahead of the rapidly approaching competition from established car companies. The build quality and overall comfort of my Model S is not a patch on the five year old Audi A7 I sold after I bought my Tesla, so the only thing that will keep Tesla able to compete will be software. Unfortunately Tesla doesn't seem to grasp that.
Agree on all the points about it doesn't take a lot to have a handful of programmers sitting behind desks focused on resolving software bugs and perhaps even providing occasional useful (not Easter eggs) improvements if all the bugs are taken care of first. I too spent a career in programming, HW/SW and service support. ;) With Tesla's infrastructure to support easy SW distribution across the fleet, updates can remain a huge differentiator. As it is, Tesla's lack of SW quality and caring to resolve long-standing bugs is one of the two reasons I will not likely buy another Tesla when the time comes -- as much as I otherwise love my MS.

OK on your not using USB music -- didn't think so, but thought I'd offer that just in case. I would suggest however you at least try for more than a few days removing your USB device and see if the frequency of reboots and stalls decreases (I realize that will stop your cam recording). I did a bunch of trial-and-error testing 2-3 years ago trying to isolate the problems I and others were having with USB music, and amongst other things concluded Tesla's USB handling & error recovery was far less robust than what most of us experience with our PCs, Macs, or even stand-alone boom boxes (my and other's work is documented in Comprehensive USB Bug List). We're a bit off-track for this thread trying to solve your problem, so if you want to pursue further, open a new thread and point us to it from here or via PM -- happy to try and summarize some of my observations if it's of possible help minimizing your issues. We all need less frustration in our lives! ;)

Good luck once again.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Faster supercharging for the ms 75d without battery degradation. That is a wish that is in contradiction with the laws of battery management. But still a wish.

And my other wish that all Elon’s “ promises “ are realized so smart summon. FSD etc etc

When I had the spontaneous rebooting problem the MCU eventually died and was replaced — haven't had the problem in the year since. If you have an older MCU in your car it may be showing signs of failing, as opposed to bugs in the current firmware version. Likely not what you want to hear, but something to consider.

• Informative
Reactions: Hank42 and BertL
When I had the spontaneous rebooting problem the MCU eventually died and was replaced — haven't had the problem in the year since. If you have an older MCU in your car it may be showing signs of failing, as opposed to bugs in the current firmware version. Likely not what you want to hear, but something to consider.
Interesting new-to-me perspective. Thx.

Glad I have 4.5 years left on my warranty and pre-paid warranty extension combination that so many on this forum thought I was crazy to purchase. Tesla’s only response on my multiple problem reports over the past 3+ years has been something similar to “your comments will be escalated to the appropriate personnel” for email input, or “you should unplug your USB device every time you park and put it back in upon Drive”, or “Hopefully a future firmware update will resolve these issues” when reported in-person via SvC and the issue is closed as “resolved”. ;(

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Interesting new-to-me perspective. Thx.

Glad I have 4.5 years left on my warranty and pre-paid warranty extension combination that so many on this forum thought I was crazy to purchase. Tesla’s only response on my multiple problem reports over the past 3+ years has been something similar to “your comments will be escalated to the appropriate personnel” for email input, or “you should unplug your USB device every time you park and put it back in upon Drive”, or “Hopefully a future firmware update will resolve these issues” when reported in-person via SvC and the issue is closed as “resolved”. ;(

Ditto to all... I've got good value out of the extended warranty, what with replacing both rear suspension control arms....

Tesla Software Engineering aren't worthy of the name and should be sacked in their entirety. I could, personally, by myself, do a better job than the entire department. It's beyond pathetic. They've had five years to fix the media player and all they've done is break it more. Double executive escalation failed.

Conclusion: Tesla Software doesn't give a *sugar* about customers. They should all be fired for cause.

Last edited:
Reactions: HankLloydRight
Ditto to all... I've got good value out of the extended warranty, what with replacing both rear suspension control arms....

Tesla Software Engineering aren't worthy of the name and should be sacked in their entirety. I could, personally, by myself, do a better job than the entire department. It's beyond pathetic. They've had five years to fix the media player and all they've done is break it more. Double executive escalation failed.

Conclusion: Tesla Software doesn't give a *sugar* about customers. They should all be fired for cause.
I actually think it's Tesla Leadership that is ultimately accountable for the lack of quality and prioritization to the teams responsible for SW, MP in particular. After all, we know who has continued announcing the many new (useless) Easter eggs that have been created -- and even reorganized into their own menu -- across the fleet over the last several years while other more dramatic cost cutting continues, and long-standing bugs and basic MP USB requirements remain unresolved after numerous attempts getting Tesla's attention from many different owners, many different ways. That demonstrates to me Tesla Leadership has no true focus on end-to-end quality from the owner's POV, which should include resolving infuriating bugs some owners have encountered on a continual basis for years. :(