Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not exactly a software wish, but I'd like Telsa and the club for sponsor a "Plug Exchange". I would be willing to make my 240v plug available to Model S travellers and would like them to make theirs available. We must be getting close to 10,000 Model S's which means there are 10,000 240V plugs spread across the US. AT some point charging stations will be so pervasive it will remove the need. In the mean time, who has a plug they are willing to share?

Not exactly a software wish, but I'd like Telsa and the club for sponsor a "Plug Exchange". I would be willing to make my 240v plug available to Model S travellers and would like them to make theirs available. We must be getting close to 10,000 Model S's which means there are 10,000 240V plugs spread across the US. AT some point charging stations will be so pervasive it will remove the need. In the mean time, who has a plug they are willing to share?

I believe you are looking for something like this:
PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find the nearest location to charge your electric car!

I'd like some enhancements to quickly switch between AC settings. I often toggle between "Vent" and "AC":

Vent: AC Off, Outside Air, Temperature "LO"
AC: AC On, Recirculate Air, Temperature 72

I would like to have some shortcuts at the bottom to switch between the two...

exactly. I think wherever you program it, it gives some kind of buffer around the location and then triggers it on the edge of that buffer. If you go down the street and program it at your neighbors house down the street, do you think it will still somehow "know" that this opener is for YOUR house? It will have no choice but to put the location further down the street. I will try it later today and report back.

It would still be useful to be able to adjust where the buffer zone is. Our neighborhood gate programming center is behind the gate, so that's where we program the car. However, we need to use it in front of the gate, and the buffer edge doesn't reach where we're normally situated where we want to open the gate.

Just sent this list to Tesla but figured I would post it here and see if anybody likes my suggestions. If you do, please reply to all so that Tesla will notice. Also feel free to email them at [email protected] with your suggestions and include mine. Thanks!

1. On voice command, when we say "Call John Smith", just call him instead of making me pick his number. The iPhone has it where you say "Call John Smith on Mobile" and it just works.
2. We know that there is a hard drive for music so please let us store our music on there.
3. The Recent Calls list is nice but it would be better if we could have a Favorites list under phone so that we can see the people we call the most. The iPhone has it so the Model S should have it too. The favorites list would also be under the steering wheel controls.
4. When you are following directions, it's hard to see the traffic color underneath the blue guidance line.
5. I normally keep the AC on Auto but you should bring the fan speed out of the Auto submenu and put it on the main screen. To increase the fan speed, you shouldn't have to go to the submenu.
6. Add to the Voice Command feature to say "Search Underwater Basketweaving" and it just searches on Google for that topic.
7. Not sure how this would work but it would be cool to browse the photos on our iPhone from the screen and even have a picture saved as a background.

This may be on here already, but just in case, I'd love to see timed climate control, especially via the mobile phone app. I generally leave for work around the same time in the morning, or know when I'm leaving as I'm headed to the train. While my garage is insulated, it really isn't well insulated. Similarly, depending which train I take, I know exactly when I'll get to the car, and would love to not have to log in five stops from the station on cold days, but only two stops on warmer ones, to set the temperature and minimize unnecessary energy drain for climate control.

I'd +1 the setting driver profile via the app as well.

I just noticed that there's no simple "synchronize/refresh" button for TuneIn radio. I added some favorites in the desktop app and had to log out and back in for the car to pick up the new favorites. A refresh button would be great. I haven't checked but Slacker may have the same issue.

It'd be nice if...

- the center console nav screen could display direction of travel
- the driver's nav screen could be set out of 3D mode (some folks like 3D, some 2D-- why expose yourself to the debate?)
- the media app could navigate an IPod/IPad - it's impractical (and illegal, in some states) to access your phone directly while driving
- both IPhones and Windows phones (and probably Android, although I don't have one) can dial or "goto" an address from the integrated browser....it'd be nice to have that level of integration between the car's browser and the phone and nav apps
- the nav app should have Tesla sites preloaded (sales/service/Supercharger). It's just good marketing.
- try entering the address of the Harris Ranch Supercharger site into the nav app - it sends you to the middle of Coalinga!

The 17 inch display with all the apps is such a green field! I'm not certain how it would be to open it up to 3rd parties...but that's what made the IPhone take off...

I would really like to see a de-tune function for when others are using the car.

For instance I would love to be able to de-tune the engine to say half-power (maybe even less) and speed-limit it if I was to borrow it to someone. Would also be great for teenage new drivers so that they could borrow the car without worrying about them wrecking it or hurting themselves. Ideally I could set the max power and max speed limits with sliders and perhaps have a few presets.

Please please :)

I would really like to see a de-tune function for when others are using the car.

For instance I would love to be able to de-tune the engine to say half-power (maybe even less) and speed-limit it if I was to borrow it to someone. Would also be great for teenage new drivers so that they could borrow the car without worrying about them wrecking it or hurting themselves. Ideally I could set the max power and max speed limits with sliders and perhaps have a few presets.

Please please :)
They could even use the new 60 kWh UI to change the displayed power limit to 240 kW.

It would be nice if Tesla could eventually add some of the new innovative technology features just announced by BMW for the redesigned X5 (see excerpts below):

A large range of BMW ConnectedDrive driver assistance systems and mobility services are available for the new BMW X5. They improve active safety, convenience and the infotainment experience and offer best-in-class standards of intelligent interaction between the driver, vehicle and external environment.

The new Active Driving Assistant safety package includes Lane Departure Warning, which alerts drivers to an imminent unintended lane departure, and a pedestrian and collision warning system with braking function, which detects vehicles in front and, at speeds up to 37 mph (60 km/h), also detects pedestrians who are on a potential collision course with the vehicle. If a hazard is detected, visual and audible warnings are given and the brake system is primed in order to reduce stopping distance. At speeds up to 37 mph (60 km/h), moderate “hazard” braking is applied to reduce vehicle speed and alert the driver to a critical situation.

The ACC Stop & Go enhances comfort and safety in slow-moving and stop-and-go traffic. This system maintains a safe following distance at any speed up to 130 mph (210 km/h). A combination of a front camera and full-range radar sensors registers preceding traffic or stationary vehicles. If the driver fails to react to a warning of an imminent frontal collision, ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant automatically brakes the vehicle all the way to a standstill if necessary. A new function, the Traffic Jam Assistant, is due to be incorporated in this package from December 2013 production onward. At speeds up to 25 mph (40 km/h), this function not only controls following distance but also keeps the vehicle on track.

The Traffic Jam Assistant keeps the vehicle in the center of its lane by providing active steering input. BMW Assist eCall, which is standard including a 10 year subscription, includes enhanced Automatic Collision Notification, with automatic vehicle location and BMW’s groundbreaking Urgency Algorithm. The current generation of this system relays important information to the BMW Call Center in the event of a crash, such as vehicle position (accurate within feet), chassis number, vehicle model, vehicle color and data from the onboard sensors. The system also detects how many people are traveling in the vehicle, which airbags were activated and the intensity of the impact. Jointly developed with the William Lehman Injury Research Center in Miami, BMW’s Urgency Algorithm synthesizes all the available crash data in order to provide first responders with a prediction of the likelihood of severe injury. Arming first responders with this information has the potential to save precious minutes in a critical situation.

BMW ConnectedDrive technologies also enhance safety at night. Adaptive Xenon Headlights with turning lights are standard. Adaptive LED Headlights and the Automatic High Beams, which automatically dim the high beams in the face of oncoming traffic, are available. Night driving can be made even safer with the available by BMW Night Vision. This system now detects warns the driver not only about pedestrians but animals as well. The system relays a real-time video image to the control display which shows people, sizeable animals and other heat-radiating objects even if they are outside the headlight beam, and provides a warning if there is a collision risk.

In the new BMW X5, the full-color BMW Head-Up Display, which projects important information onto the windshield, now includes even more additional information. When needed, telephone contact lists and entertainment programs can also be projected into the driver’s direct field of view.

Also new, and due to become available for the X5 by December 2013, is the latest generation of the BMW Parking Assistant. This helps the driver look for suitable parallel parking spaces and precisely maneuvers the vehicle into a parking space, not only by steering but also by operating the accelerator and brake pedal and selecting the appropriate gear. When the system has been activated at the press of a button, the new BMW X5 can park itself automatically in a selected parking space. Ease of maneuvering is enhanced by the Rear-View Camera, which is standard on the X5 xDrive50i, and the Surround View system, which now provides a 360-degree view of the vehicle and its surroundings on the control display. The Panorama View front and rear monitoring function, provides a better view of cross-traffic when merging from an exit with poor visibility.

Other features which are available for the new BMW X5 include the Speed Limit Info system, which shows any speed limits or overtaking restrictions for a particular road in the instrument cluster. Also available, the optional Active Blind Spot Detection system assesses the traffic situation on multi-lane roads in order to prevent critical situations when pulling out to overtake. When performing an intentional lane change, the driver is warned by a visual signal and a steering wheel vibration if another vehicle is hidden in the driver’s blind spot behind or alongside the BMW X5.

I'd like a control that automatically adjusts audio level to compensate for road noise at various speeds? It's a nice (tunable) feature that (at least) BMW has had for over 10 years, and I'd bet all it takes is a software change to add that to the S :smile: