Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but it would be awesome to have a lap timer, g meter, 1/4 mile and 0-60 timer built in. Several other performance cars have this available, it would make a lot of sense to have it in the Model S (especially the perf version) since it's been called a rolling computer. :)

Pandora
BETTER MAPS! The interface is absolutely horrible. It needs:
-list of all charging stations (not just superchargers, which is pretty useless 99.999% of the time and across the US) and along with that...
-When inputting a destination with parking, a pop-up of the EV charging parking spaces would be great
-3D mapping
- Overlay of restaurants (maybe ZAGAT or Yelp)
- Map facing the way the car is driving (like on instrument panel)

Quick way to open/close sunroof (way too many screens to go through - very distracting and dangerous. Even the steering column scroll is dangerous because it takes your eyes from the rode)
-One button control to lock, roll up windows, close sunroof when car is in park

Quick way to open/close sunroof (way too many screens to go through - very distracting and dangerous. Even the steering column scroll is dangerous because it takes your eyes from the rode)
-One button control to lock, roll up windows, close sunroof when car is in park

I just press the right scroll wheel 3 times in succession and the roof closes. I have the button open the menu -> (leave the menu always to sunroof) select sunroof -> click auto closes. Opening is click -> click -> scroll a bunch. No vision required at all.

I really don't see what the problem with the windows are. The auto up on the door windows works fine, and doesn't stop if you open a door.

Following are the top three features I would like to see in 5.0:

1. Sleep mode
2. Backup lines on camera
3. Reduce supercharging time in half, per Elon's announcement

Sure hope these features will be coming out soon, but only time will tell.

NOT PLUGGED IN NOTIFICATION

The Car should notify you if you are at home and NOT PLUGGED IN. That way you dont forget to juice up before a big trip. An alert on the app, or an email/text? would be an easy way to get the car to say "hey - did you forget to plug me in?? we are home and I this is usually the time I charge..."
This suggestion might already be posted on here, just thought I would add if it wasnt..

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but it would be awesome to be able to scroll through media selections using the thumbwheel. I used to be able to do this in my BMW 550 and M5 (both with partial digital instrument clusters) and have it appear in both the instrument cluster and HUD. You can scroll through radio stations, songs in a playlist/album, etc.

The touchscreen, while remarkable, is maddeningly frustrating sometimes when driving.

I'd also like to see more options for individual apps, the return of selective door handle presentation (driver first on unlock), Google Send-to-car functionality, and some other things that have already been mentioned here.

Door Lock / Unlock on the Main Screen.

Door Lock/Unlock toggle on the home screen. It is silly to have to go down one menu level to lock and unlock the doors.
Some times you don't want the doors to unlock when you are parked. Two spots on the top bar could
easily accommodate this:
1) Between the 3G signal strength and the time. You could have a Lock/Unlock Icon here.
2) The Tesla Motor Logo. "About Your Tesla" is an option that should be one or two menu level down. It has nothing to do with the operation of the car or the car's features, thus it should not occupy valuable screen realestate. The T could be red for door locked (perhaps with a lock icon as well.) and Green for Unlock (with an unlocked icon as well.)

Blind Spot Assist - Parking Assist. This has been talked about many time before.

Nigh vision / FLIR / Thermal Imaging. Should at least be an option.

These are a few of the software driven features I'd like to see:
1. Have Google Map display direction of travel instead of North Up all the time
2. When in Navigation mode have the next turn box (white rectangle on Google Map screen) movable, If I'm traveling north and my destination is in the upper left side of the display the next turn box covers it. Depending on my magnification of the Google map it can cover a lot of area not allowing me to see ahead for traffic
3. Direct radio station input. Say all my presets are used and the station I want is 80 channels away, scrolling is distracting and time consuming. Give me a number pad or a displayed wheel.

These are a few of the software driven features I'd like to see:
1. Have Google Map display direction of travel instead of North Up all the time
Elon/Jerome confirmed at TESLIVE that this is coming in the near future.
And I believe we have reports of it exposed to users in the 5.5 firmware.
I haven't seen any; do you have a link?
Here:
Interestingly, the user NorwegianX on the web forum belonging to the Norwegain Electric Vehicle Association has reported that the NAV in the EU spec cars have a choice between "Car Up" and "North Up". No pictures yet.

Last edited:
For bluetooth playback, I'd like the option to browse the source of audio on my phone -- or at least choose the source. I currently swap between google music (stuff stored on the device or in the cloud), pandora, and pocketcast (for podcasts). It'd be nice if the bluetooth connection understood enough of the end-device to choose between those sources at least.