Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My guess is one of the things added will be the interface to pay for your own data.
This is a growing cost for Tesla and they can't keep paying for everyone's data forever.

I would love to see the grid lines on the rear camera and route options for navigation.

Put me in charge Tesla, and I can help you prioritize

The thing that needs the most attention imho is the web-browser. It's barely usable. My 2+ year old galaxy nexus with similar pixel sized screen works way faster with chrome. If they could run chrome there, they'd be good for another 6 months. They could probably still block video even with android. This is really unlikely since they aren't using android obviously now, and the android chrome, unlike the mac/windows/linux version, is not open sourced.

The ultimate feature is end user written apps and an app store. Come on Tesla, it seems about half of us here are programmers, just let us get started on our owner cars; another way to crush the competition is a really vibrant apps market. I know the ford / microsoft whatever system does have apps, but I expect its not that great.

Another "ultimate" feature is using android for the UI, or allowing android apps to run. If they do use android today, it's really deeply hidden.

A more achievable suite of features is giving me true control over my car (I get that an app store is really hard to get right, and be safe), so do this first, these are really easy:

1. As someone said above, add a pin that is required at the car to allow remote access. The pin also prevents setting some features. Switch your online api to use a revocable, shorter lived token of some type
2. A list of people shown in the car with remote access. A way to disable them or delete them, also under pin control.
3. Valet mode; and advanced valet mode, set the top speed so I can loan it to a friend or let my son drive, but reduce top speed to 65 and lower acceleration.
4. Let me shut off remote network access - i.e. I just don't want anyone monitoring me. I am not going to go around robbing banks in my model S, but I still want to have the opportunity to turn off surveillance (and assistance!) if I desire.

A capability I'd like (can't someone build a website for this?) is a route planner that considers charging availability. I should probably make a business to do exactly this. Going from Portland to Bozeman, go on this route using the 2 superchargers, then you can suggest where you might want to stay the night and charge, with an option to stay the night with charging vs going all the way. This is a much more pressing issue for people with leafs, but Tesla people do seem to be frequent travelers even though there are probably lots more leaf owners. I was just looking at driving from Seattle to the Mission Ridge ski resort, and there was a question of what would happen if I went through Ellensburg.

I'm kidding about being in charge. Second in command would be good enough. And I know they are a lean operation with probably the same engineers working on OS, UI, supercharger, embedded systems, the next gen cars etc.

Last edited:
The thing that needs the most attention imho is the web-browser. It's barely usable. My 2+ year old galaxy nexus with similar pixel sized screen works way faster with chrome. If they could run chrome there, they'd be good for another 6 months. They could probably still block video even with android. This is really unlikely since they aren't using android obviously now, and the android chrome, unlike the mac/windows/linux version, is not open sourced..
From everything I've read the OS is a custom linux build. I agree, chrome would be nice... but this is a car not a tablet.. priority should be to focus on "car" features first.. If I want to look something up on the web, I don't do it on the car... I do it on my smartphone.

- - - Updated - - -

3. Valet mode; and advanced valet mode, set the top speed so I can loan it to a friend or let my son drive, but reduce top speed to 65 and lower acceleration.
4. Let me shut off remote network access - i.e. I just don't want anyone monitoring me. I am not going to go around robbing banks in my model S, but I still want to have the opportunity to turn off surveillance (and assistance!) if I desire.

Advanced valet mode that's an awesome idea...

As per item #4, I'd take it one step further... I want to be able to COMPLETELY disable the embedded cellular and Wi-Fi radio... toggle the power on/off. If I want to disappear from the grid so our corrupt spy agencies can't as easily track every where I go, I should be able to. I'm also not crazy about the idea of Tesla having access to every single little thing about my car in real-time, because the government could pressure them to hand it over. We have a serious problem on our hands, and it's getting worse by the day. One of the main reasons I hesitated when buying this car is because of the "always-on" connectivity. Even if a company promises to keep your private data safe, the government can strong arm them into handing it over. My (Libertarian) philosophical beliefs about the size and role of government means I'm basically their worst enemy... (IF) I ever get to retire, most of my time will be spent educating people on the Federal Reserve (not the occasional once a year march, but every waking moment)... and concepts like Voluntaryism and Agorism.

Last edited:
Even if there is a crash the car is pretty safe. Allow us to watch sporting events while we drive. Nothing lame like daytime soap operas or anything. Just sporting events and perhaps gratuitous sex/violence videos. Is that too much to ask?

I am expecting extended navigation features: traffic, alternative routes, wind speed, super chargers, etc.

Hoping for the Waze/Google Nav stuff integrated.

- - - Updated - - -

+1 for Pandora
+1 Valet Mode

Loaner/Teenager Mode - where you can restrict max acceleration and speed. Plus faster location reporting (so you can track location better with the app).

Speaking of valet mode, we need a PIN to disable remote capability.

+1

No doubt about that. I recently had my bumper resprayed to fix a nick and the body shop switched off the remote monitoring. When I got my car back I noticed that someone must have been for an extreme joy ride prior to pick up! Tough to prove other than extremely high power consumption that maxed out the gauge for a few miles. Not a happy camper but I let it go.

No doubt about that. I recently had my bumper resprayed to fix a nick and the body shop switched off the remote monitoring. When I got my car back I noticed that someone must have been for an extreme joy ride prior to pick up! Tough to prove other than extremely high power consumption that maxed out the gauge for a few miles. Not a happy camper but I let it go.

I would not have let that go. I would have called them on it. You have ALL the evidence you need.

Personally, if I have to leave my car with someone, I tell them when I drop it off that they expressly do NOT have permission to drive the vehicle off their property, and that the car logs what they do and I will KNOW. (Yes I have done that. No shenanigans occurred.)

From everything I've read the OS is a custom linux build. I agree, chrome would be nice... but this is a car not a tablet.. priority should be to focus on "car" features first.. If I want to look something up on the web, I don't do it on the car... I do it on my smartphone.

- - - Updated - - -

Advanced valet mode that's an awesome idea...

As per item #4, I'd take it one step further... I want to be able to COMPLETELY disable the embedded cellular and Wi-Fi radio... toggle the power on/off. If I want to disappear from the grid so our corrupt spy agencies can't as easily track every where I go, I should be able to. I'm also not crazy about the idea of Tesla having access to every single little thing about my car in real-time, because the government could pressure them to hand it over. We have a serious problem on our hands, and it's getting worse by the day. One of the main reasons I hesitated when buying this car is because of the "always-on" connectivity. Even if a company promises to keep your private data safe, the government can strong arm them into handing it over. My (Libertarian) philosophical beliefs about the size and role of government means I'm basically their worst enemy... (IF) I ever get to retire, most of my time will be spent educating people on the Federal Reserve (not the occasional once a year march, but every waking moment)... and concepts like Voluntaryism and Agorism.

I'll agree with this.

Today, I deleted my Google plus account and many Google features. I installed cyanogenmod on my spare phone for the first time. I'm planning to keep my gadgets, but I want control of what goes out.