Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After having my S85 now for about a month, here are some of my top listed asks that are not in 6.1 (although I have yet to receive 6.1)...

- Auto Raise and Lower the steering column/wheel when car is placed in Park and then when you start the car
- TouchID for iOS users to login to Tesla App and to Start the car
- HomeLink control from steering wheel instead of touch screen (or make it location aware line the suspension - but with a tighter radius)
- 4G support for cars built recently (I have to believe the HW is already there)
- Way to set a time to target max charge and temp adjustments (useful when you leave for the airport at 5am)
- Way for the browser to accept a cookie so apps don't keep asking to use my location
- Favorites for phone calls
- Support for iPhone as an iPod

Simple - right :wink:

my wish list is as follows:-
1. Like my MB E class, the hold function of the brake during stop is very useful. It's much better than the hill start assist.
2. Easy entry function can be added to raise the steering wheel & set the drivers seat a few inches backward when in park position and the driver's door is open.
3. Passenger's profile for adjustment of passenger side seat position.
4. Use the front and rear cameras as the dash cam and store the video in a memory card.
5. Storage of song in a built in hard disk.
6. Some adjustment to the recline position of th rear seat back.

I've seen the comment a few times on easy entry/exit seat and steering wheel position. I imagine this must be on the implementation list though likely not meeting the bar yet. Shame really as this is commonplace on much cheaper cars.

As an interim solution, and full credit to my DS for the suggestion. I created an "Exit" driver profile that has the steering wheel all way in and raised, and seat furthest back and more upright. I just press that at same time as home link.

of course, I'd prefer this automatically, though hope this simple trick may help others.

I Have to confess to not reading all this post, but the few pages I've read seem to have a lot of duplicate entries. Hopefully Tesla may introduce these duplicates.

While updating my OS on the car today for my first time, I noticed a warning of a hard downtime of around two hours. This made me think, how about an option to disable the car and touch screen for a set period that is user selected, and as with the update a two minute cancel option before the car is completely disabled for the period of time you selected.

I realise that sometimes emergencys require the use of your car at unexpected times, however the ability to disable my car for the an hour, a week, a month while I'm at work, doing something, away on holiday, could prove useful sometimes.

My requests:
+1 for a way to get Siri or other phone voice support. ie double click the voice button (and keep click and hold for the car's voice system). This could evolve to Siri Hands Free too...
+1 for iOS in the car. Just add an app that provides a 1/2 screen for iOS integration. Although this could cause problems with the existing Phone and Audio apps -- so there may have to be a preference on which one to use if you have iOS in the car enabled...
+1 on shuffle support for whatever selection you have (entire library, genre, artist, album, etc).
+1 on an individual wheel tire pressure display
+1 on working with Google to incorporate Waze info on the Nav map (for those that don't know, Google bought Waze this week...).

I posted the above 10 days after delivery in June 2013. We just got shuffle support in 6.1 (which I received yesterday), and 6.0 included traffic-sensitive routing (but not full-on Waze...). But the others are still on my wish list (note - iOS in the car is now branded as CarPlay).

I posted the above 10 days after delivery in June 2013. We just got shuffle support in 6.1 (which I received yesterday), and 6.0 included traffic-sensitive routing (but not full-on Waze...). But the others are still on my wish list (note - iOS in the car is now branded as CarPlay).

When Tesla opens up the Model S to third party apps -- perhaps later this year -- I hope that Apple will offer a version of CarPlay for the S.

Don't know if this has been mentioned but my SO said he wished the 'search music' function could actually search from within the USB stick. Is it true that this isn't possible? Sounds like an easy fix, hope they implement it at some point as we have over 30,000 songs in our library which takes forever to scroll through even just the artist names. Without playlists, it's practically non-functional for our purpose. (A lot of our fav music is obscure and not anywhere on Slacker)

A very minor request which may be a Slacker issue or just a UI change: show the year the song playing was released. That was something I and family members enjoyed on XM in my prior car. Avoided debates about when something came out - and subsequent googling.

atop the touchscreen, among the status icons (Bluetooth, Charge, 3G, etc), they need to add the lock/unlock icon, so you can just tap it right there to lock or unlock the doors.

sent this off to Jerome too.
someone else suggested it would be cool to make the park button on the stalk toggle lock/unlock once you hit it once to park and unlock, you could hit it again to lock, again to unlock, etc.

I've searched this thread, but seems nobody mentioned it:

I'd like to not only be able to navigate to SuperChargers, I also want to find the nearest Service Center. Not that I've ever had a breakdown or something, but it seems so easy. I went in for service the other day, I had to manually lookup the address and navigate to it. Yes, I know, first world problems, but it should be trivial for Tesla to add all their Service Centers to the nav just like the SuperChargers.

Surely you can use the web interface for Gmail, Outlook etc? Got to be better than a dedicated app in the car

For SMS, doesn't your phone read them out? With Windows Phone, Cortana can be set to read new SMS out when they arrive and will let me speak a reply, call back etc. Much safer when driving.

Dedicated apps are always more optimized (performance and presentation) than the corresponding web interface, especially on this browser.

And yes you can have the phone dictate the text messages but I find with the amount of errors and double checking you have to do to get it right you end up typing most of it anyway.

I'll also add to my list contact photos. Why oh why don't we have the ability to import contact photos?

Last edited:
This thread has a lot of suggestions and requests for Tesla. I actually had sent Tesla a letter with a couple of specific requests involving battery preheating independent of range mode and cabin heating. I also started a poll on the subject here:

Would you use battery heating if it were available?

(The first post in the poll thread has a link to the letter thread. If you're interested, take the time to read both of those threads.)

The idea behind the poll is that if we show Tesla that enough people want battery pack preheating independent of range mode, they will probably be more likely to give it to us, and more likely to get it done sooner. If you're reading this thread, you're interested in seeing Tesla improve the firmware. Please take 30 seconds, click on the link above, and vote (anonymously) in the poll. Let's get a few hundred votes in favor of battery preheating and really make a statement!

Thanks!

My wishlist:
1. Ditching Garmin nav logic, use Google's instead.
2. Supporting press-and-hold for setting a destination on the map, this is very useful for navigating around traffics in a not-so-familiar area.
3. Making the buttons bigger on the Media app, currently a few buttons on the upper left corner are too close to each other.