Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounded like over to me.

Could have just misspoken...but I think I read somewhere that internal testing showed they were getting a range over 300 miles. (Might just have been a rumor though).

Even though he said over 300 miles--I'm not sure that means much. How would it translate to an official range? After all, You CAN get more than 245 miles in the Roadster.

I noticed Robert Llewellyn made a similar comment of "over 300 miles" in his Living With an Electric Car videos (second video after the unfortunate Ampera "EV" reference). He even qualified the comment saying that recent testing by Tesla exceeded 300 miles. I thought it was odd because he seems to research his information pretty thoroughly.

I wouldn't be surprised even if the official EPA range was over 300 miles. Just don't expect it to be too much over (maybe a couple miles). 300 is just a nice round number and, much like the 160, 240 miles, is probably intended to be a general guideline, not a hard number.

I think that'd be great, even if it is just a couple miles over. I had always expected the official number to come in at like 295 or something just short of 300. I think getting over that 300mi number would be a big boost psychologically. Kind of the opposite of the $0.99 psychology.

I think that'd be great, even if it is just a couple miles over. I had always expected the official number to come in at like 295 or something just short of 300. I think getting over that 300mi number would be a big boost psychologically. Kind of the opposite of the $0.99 psychology.

Right, you can say "I get 300 miles" without adding an asterisk to it (though I imagine that will be in range mode)

The have a lot of details live on their web site now as they get closer to locking in final specifications.
So far, nothing seems to have diverged very far from the original project specs, although I don't think we will be seeing pack swapping/switching, at least initially.

Model S Features | Tesla Motors
torque_curve.jpg

(Motor torque curve)

Comparing the Model S to the A7:

Model S 0-60 = 5.6 vs A7 5.4
Model S 415Nm vs A7 440Nm @ 2900-4500rpm
Model S HP = ? vs A7 HP 310
Model S top = 130mph vs A7 130mph
Model S curb weight = ? vs A7 4,210 lbs.

I think the A7 is passing the S at above 50mph. From 0-40, where zippiness matters most, I think the Model S is going to kick serious tail!

Less weight (guessing) plus tons of torque at the lower RPMs, the model S will simply be more fun to drive off the track. How often do we drive 0-60 vs 0-35 or 0-40?

From the torque curve, you can see the Model S' torque of 415Nm is at 0-7000rpm. That also gives a peak power number as well as power=(torque (lbft)*revs)/5252, so 415Nm at 7000 is 407 hp. Versus the A7's 310, that looks pretty good! I think the Model S is supposed to weigh in at around 4000lbs, maybe a little under.

Get the Model S sport version, and it's no contest: Model S Sport Version 0-60 in 4.5 seconds:

"Cutting the brisk 0-60 time of the standard Model S from 5.6 second to under 4.5 seconds, the sportier version features the same 85 kilowatt-hour, 300 miles-per-charge battery pack found in the 2012 Model S Signature series. "

“That’s quicker than a [Porsche] 911 [Carrera],” joked Musk. “Not bad for an electric luxury sedan.”

BREAKING: Tesla Making Faster 2012 Model S, 0-60 In Under 4.5 Seconds

An engineer told me that the gearbox has three shafts, but he wouldn't say much more other than how wonderfully efficient it is. Conceptually it's a simple machine, and anything proprietary would be in the fine details, but perhaps he was unsure how much more he could say. He did say the gears were in pairs, as I would have expected, so I infer there are four physical gears. I believe the Roadster gearbox is roughly similar in design?

An engineer told me that the gearbox has three shafts, but he wouldn't say much more other than how wonderfully efficient it is. Conceptually it's a simple machine, and anything proprietary would be in the fine details, but perhaps he was unsure how much more he could say. He did say the gears were in pairs, as I would have expected, so I infer there are four physical gears. I believe the Roadster gearbox is roughly similar in design?

The engineers told us the gearbox was the same as the Roadster. Just the gearing was different.
Can't remember the exact numbers but the Roadster is like 8:1 and Model S is like 9:1 Maybe efxJim can remember the exact ratios.