Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a model S and X on reservation and anxiously waiting!

however, have a few questions :

as a new car, i am sure that there will be teething problems.

has anyone owner after owning for the last few months noticed any funny noises, vibrations, bits falling off recently?

i hate squeeks and rattles.

any major issues encountered?

I have about 1000km and developed a slight rattle coming from just above (or behind) the 17 inch screen. If I put pressure on the top of the dash at that point it stops it. Nothing serious yet but I will definately have them look at it at some point. I hate noises and rattles with a passion too and I notice them right away. always have.

I have around 1200 miles on my MSP so far and suddenly last week my car developed an air leak between right front passenger window and the little triangle fixed window.
Tech tried to fix it, but it didn't work. Only happens at speed of about 50mph and higher. At least that I can hear. Faster I go the louder it is.

TeslaGuy, we received our cars about 24 hours apart and while you have driven 1200 miles, I have driven just about 2,300. I do wonder if I might have a drivers side air leak but it is hard to say. subtle if present. but looks like I need a 100k, four year warranty...:wink:

I have around 1200 miles on my MSP so far and suddenly last week my car developed an air leak between right front passenger window and the little triangle fixed window.
Tech tried to fix it, but it didn't work. Only happens at speed of about 50mph and higher. At least that I can hear. Faster I go the louder it is.
I have the same issue; starts right at 50 mph (90kph). Compared to the driver side, alignment between main and triangle window is slightly off.
Slight pressure applied to inside of the divider stops the wind noise completely and the car is very silent again.

I've got the same leak also on the same passenger side window. A hissing or wind noise kicks in around 50+ mph. It's not bad, but it's noticeable. If my wife presses on the black bar that separates the main window from the little triangle, the sound stops, so it's definitely a poor seal I guess. I'd planned to bring it up with service at some point on my growing list of minor issues.

We had several problems with the car from day one -

- Right front door had to be slammed hard and it popped open on its own on one occasion.
- Car needed front end alignment and the steering wheel was installed off center.
- Rear hatch and Right front door needed adjustments (they had uneven gaps)
- Tilt wheel made a loud snapping sound when coming down from the highest position.
- Windshield washers were hitting too low.
3. Many of us were having difficulty closing the passenger door. I was one of them. This is NOT an alignment issue. It is indeed a pressure issue, and is due to the fact that the cabin is so well sealed. When you close the passenger door, the pressure builds up between the inner and outer seals, making the car difficult to close. (This also explains why it's still difficult with the driver's window open, which you think would alleviate the pressure. It's not due to pressure in the cabin, but BETWEEN the inner and outer door seals on the passenger side.

On the bottom of the passenger door, you'll find a round plug. Remove it and put it into the glove compartment. That should fix the issue, at least for now. BTW: This is an "unofficial" fix. I'm doing it because it fixed the problem. YMMV. (Note: I did not notice an increase in cabin noise after removing this plug).
When I read about the door closing problems, it brought to mind this video I stumbled across long ago: 24 Statistical Process Control at Honda LEANDESIGN HU - YouTube.

I've never worked in manufacturing but have always had an interest in factories (and have toured 5 auto plants, including NUMMI when it was still NUMMI). One has to wonder how much statistical process control is going on at the plant, at how many of the steps and whether they're at the right steps? Seems like if Tesla did something similar to what Honda did in the video, many of the door closing problems would be caught.

When I first watched the video, I thought the test was dumb. But then I thought about it more and realized that a problem w/a door not closing right is something that a customer might complain to service about and end up costing the automaker in warranty costs.

Over time, a good automaker w/enough resources (and the desire to improve) will learn where the problems are, hopefully add in tests and make improvements so that they don't happen again. The big automakers have a LOT more experience in this than TSLA.

Last edited:
I have a model S and X on reservation and anxiously waiting!

however, have a few questions :

as a new car, i am sure that there will be teething problems.

has anyone owner after owning for the last few months noticed any funny noises, vibrations, bits falling off recently?

i hate squeeks and rattles.

any major issues encountered?

2300 miles here, no issues with noise. Only real issues we have had to date were a bad charging cord (apparently the early ones had a somewhat elevated failure rate) and getting the headlights aligned properly.

(If anyone wants to adjust the headlights yourself, I can now walk you through how to do it - it's pretty simple).

I've got the same leak also on the same passenger side window. A hissing or wind noise kicks in around 50+ mph. It's not bad, but it's noticeable. If my wife presses on the black bar that separates the main window from the little triangle, the sound stops, so it's definitely a poor seal I guess. I'd planned to bring it up with service at some point on my growing list of minor issues.

I have this issue as well. It can be fixed by your local Ranger. It involves removing the side mirror and changing out a set of spacer washers. Apparently takes a couple of hours. I'm going to have it done when they catch their breaths in Toronto.

I have this issue as well. It can be fixed by your local Ranger. It involves removing the side mirror and changing out a set of spacer washers. Apparently takes a couple of hours. I'm going to have it done when they catch their breaths in Toronto.
Yep, that's my plan. Given we've got 4 year bumper to bumper, I'm trying to keep any minor issues on a back burner to let the poor service folks catch a breath and address them later or even at my 1 year service appointment.

I've gotten incredibly reticent to voice any criticism on this website, but hopefully I won't get dinged on this statement. I am not tickled the car has issues. Not surprised, but it's an expensive car and part of me hoped for perfection. That said, the car is without a doubt just a phenomenal thing. It's a joy to drive every day. Silent. Powerful in a way that's unlike anything else and it's hard to even describe to someone that hasn't driven the car. The smoothness and instantaneous is other worldly.

So, for all the folks reading this thread with concern, same as I was. Well, you'll likely have a car with issues, accept that now as it's just too many new things not to have them, but you'll never willingly take back your purchase. It's just that good. That's 3 weeks and 1200 miles in. Ask me in a year and who knows, but I swear I just teleported 30 years into the future and the future is good.

Me too, noticed it this morning when it was 8*F. Could be temperature related? Driving me nuts now.

OT-
Please no alt-248 discussions. I'm using "*" for degrees. That's all I have to say about that.

Me too, noticed it this morning when it was 8*F. Could be temperature related?
I doubt it. It only happens on the passenger side for me, only at 45-50+ mph and it's happened since I got the car on December 30th. While it's been chilly in Portland OR, it's been no where near cold enough the entire time to make it temperature related (at least in my case).

I had to have a new door handle installed, before the San Diego service center opened, and the ranger came down from Newport for free to do it.

I just drove 300 miles(each way) to have a handle replaced! I was told that they wouldn't be able to come when I tried to set something up for the service. Maybe the rangers are all just busy now and none were in my area? It would have been easier on my mileage! - but I should add, I was totally willing to go and try and have another factory tour.

At the Service center I asked about the ranger service package but no one seems to know about it yet. They said I could have had a ranger come for $100, but no Ranger option was given to me before hand when I was on the phone - which sucks a bit.

Fortunately both my wife and my parents live 'near' the Factory and we took another tour while we waited for the handle. I would have maybe been a little(more?) disappointed if we didn't have some things we could do in the area + I just love driving the car! (and they rotated my tires + fixed 'my tesla' so my wheels are correct)... Maybe they'd like to hook me up with a set of tires from some of the cars with the 'due bill' wheels?

We really didn't want to go down there for at least a few months, at least the weather was nice this time!

a note on Noise:

I did notice that the A pillars seem to be 'squeaky' like crickets on some unraveled open grade asphalt and certain pitches of music. but just under certain resonant bumps/music ( I think I heard(read) someone complain about talk radio vibrations) and I think it will be a very easy fix w/ some foam,rubber, or even cardstock maybe. If it starts making noise on standard bumps I might try something but it's not too bad on normal driving and roads.

Last edited:
2,300 miles on a Model S signature and these are the problems I have seen:

- Right front door has to be closed harder
- Car needed front end alignment as it was pulling to the right
- Windshield washers hitting too low.
- Sometimes I hear a noise coming from the left front speaker. It seems as an interference noise
- Had an issue with GPS not following my location but it has disappeared
- No GPS memory to save my locations

Sadly still going without doors and windows on the passenger side. I waited for a while for the update that was not to be, due to the roll out halt and went into to service to see what they could do.

Service replaced my passenger side door harness and identified the problem. Very nice and professional as always. Water intrusion in the passenger front door handle harness connector. It then feeds onto the back. The warranty repair was quick half a day and I got the car back charged and washed, thanks Tesla Service.

Now close to 8000 miles on my Model S, still a blast to drive, running great, rock solid, and quiet, with no rattles. Most importantly no measurable battery capacity degradation.

Last edited:
I also have the wind noise on passenger side and headlights are aimed too high. I left the car with Tesla Service to have both problems fixed. They returned the car without attempting to correct either problem. They claimed they "couldn't duplicate either problem". Seriously lame, especially on the headlight issue, it is so obviously wrong. The said they compared my headlights to some of the other Model S cars in the shop and mine seemed pretty similar to the others. I guess I'll just take it to Pep Boys. Other drivers are flashing me all the time, and I can clearly see that my headlights are shining super high.

Service replaced my passenger side door harness and identified the problem. Very nice and professional as always. Water intrusion in the passenger front door handle harness connector. It then feeds onto the back. The warranty repair was quick half a day and I got the car back charged and washed, thanks Tesla Service.

Now close to 8000 miles on my Model S, still a blast to drive, running great, rock solid, and quiet, with no rattles. Most importantly no measurable battery capacity degradation.

Thanks Chgd Up, good to hear

- - - Updated - - -

I also have the wind noise on passenger side and headlights are aimed too high. I left the car with Tesla Service to have both problems fixed. They returned the car without attempting to correct either problem. They claimed they "couldn't duplicate either problem". Seriously lame, especially on the headlight issue, it is so obviously wrong. The said they compared my headlights to some of the other Model S cars in the shop and mine seemed pretty similar to the others. I guess I'll just take it to Pep Boys. Other drivers are flashing me all the time, and I can clearly see that my headlights are shining super high.

Thats strange that they didn't just aim the lights lower for you. You want them lower.

As for the wind noise, why not just video it on your phone and then play it for them? That's what I'd do

That's pretty disappointing. There should be a calibration tool at the shop so that the lights can be aimed precisely. A tiny difference at the headlight grows bigger and bigger with distance, so just "eyeballing" it is really not good enough.