Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yeah, i actually can't see how those two methods would work any differently as they both call the same exact routine in the software.. could be just coincidence that it happens to work one way versus another from time to time... but can't say for sure.

I believe the dash and the 17 console are two separate systems that communicate with the car and each other. That is why they are rebooted differently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I had it happen once, and although it happened in extreme cold there was no way for me to know if this was a factor or not. One data point does not provide any correlation. Tesla says it is not a cold issue, and is planning to replace a component in my car.

Thank you for these posts. I have had my car for 2 weeks and have experienced a number of quirky issues. The screen going black and no controls working, door handles not opening when I touch them, range being 25 miles less in the morning than when I parked it the night before, etc. I email Customer service at Tesla and get no response (does that mean they are overwhelmed with issues such as this?). I am taking my car in to a service center for the first time Monday and will see what they have to say.

Thank you for these posts. I have had my car for 2 weeks and have experienced a number of quirky issues. The screen going black and no controls working, door handles not opening when I touch them, range being 25 miles less in the morning than when I parked it the night before, etc. I email Customer service at Tesla and get no response (does that mean they are overwhelmed with issues such as this?). I am taking my car in to a service center for the first time Monday and will see what they have to say.

You might want to check out this thread which covers a lot (all?) of your issues: Firmware-4-1-Issues

Also, definitely better to talk to your local service manager rather than emailing Tesla.

You might want to check out this thread which covers a lot (all?) of your issues: Firmware-4-1-Issues

Also, definitely better to talk to your local service manager rather than emailing Tesla.

I look forward to speaking with my service manager tomorrow. It would not hurt for Tesla to send out communications regularly to its new owners. We all know that this is a new car and there will be new issues and it is great that Tesla is being proactive in trying to address them, but it they could communicate directly with their owners with things like "we have heard about some issues and this is what we are doing to try to correct them" rather than having each owner spend hours going thorough many threads to find out that others are having similar issues and that some fixes are in the works.

The wiki post is that shows common issues and solutions is helpful because it provides a single place to go for such information.

For anyone who had some glitch or deficiency with the delivery of their new car, if you had a ranger come fix it, did you have to pay the $100 service fee? I have a passenger door handle that works 50% of the time, a reflector with interior condensation, and no parcel shelf in car though ordered. Tesla contacted me and said they would take care of these - new door handle ordered, parcel shelf back-ordered, condensation being considered by HQ as it is not an isolated fix. However they pretty much said if I don't bring my car to the service center (80 miles away when complete in a few weeks), the charge for a ranger visit was $100. I suggested to them this wasn't appropriate as these were issues in getting a new car right that should have been right at delivery, not warranty issues. Also, as service is 80 miles away, we are going to buy the 'anywhere' service plan that eliminates the ranger charge - however that's not yet implemented. So between those two things, I am not feelin' the love to have to pay $100 for things Tesla should have taken care of before my car arrived - both car components and a service plan.

This sound familiar to others or is this new to me?

For anyone who had some glitch or deficiency with the delivery of their new car, if you had a ranger come fix it, did you have to pay the $100 service fee? I have a passenger door handle that works 50% of the time, a reflector with interior condensation, and no parcel shelf in car though ordered. Tesla contacted me and said they would take care of these - new door handle ordered, parcel shelf back-ordered, condensation being considered by HQ as it is not an isolated fix. However they pretty much said if I don't bring my car to the service center (80 miles away when complete in a few weeks), the charge for a ranger visit was $100. I suggested to them this wasn't appropriate as these were issues in getting a new car right that should have been right at delivery, not warranty issues. Also, as service is 80 miles away, we are going to buy the 'anywhere' service plan that eliminates the ranger charge - however that's not yet implemented. So between those two things, I am not feelin' the love to have to pay $100 for things Tesla should have taken care of before my car arrived - both car components and a service plan.

This sound familiar to others or is this new to me?

I thought this had been resolved ... here's the original discussion: Resolved! Ranger Service for Due Bill Items

- - - Updated - - -

You might point your local service center to that thread, since (I believe) the directive came down from Joost.

I thought this had been resolved ... here's the original discussion: Resolved! Ranger Service for Due Bill Items

- - - Updated - - -

You might point your local service center to that thread, since (I believe) the directive came down from Joost.

Bonnie - Thanks, hadn't seen that. $100 off the service plan when it's implemented is OK, but not the best customer service route. Sends a poor message IMO. The BMW's and Lexus' of the world will be all over that type of customer service. This points out a continuing weakness in Tesla's infrastructure. It's a tough chicken/egg scernario - impossible to have #cars and #rangers be perfectly aligned, I guess they chose not to have a bunch of rangers sitting around for a couple months to save labor costs. Makes me worried that there will start being a lot of stories where people call rangers and get an appointment three weeks later because they are understaffed. Tesla needs to be sure they have things lined up when they sell the plans (maybe that's the wait). I'm worried.

Bonnie - Thanks, hadn't seen that. $100 off the service plan when it's implemented is OK, but not the best customer service route. Sends a poor message IMO. The BMW's and Lexus' of the world will be all over that type of customer service. This points out a continuing weakness in Tesla's infrastructure. It's a tough chicken/egg scernario - impossible to have #cars and #rangers be perfectly aligned, I guess they chose not to have a bunch of rangers sitting around for a couple months to save labor costs. Makes me worried that there will start being a lot of stories where people call rangers and get an appointment three weeks later because they are understaffed. Tesla needs to be sure they have things lined up when they sell the plans (maybe that's the wait). I'm worried.

The final resolution was that there was no charge for due bill items, not $100 off the service plan when implemented (though that was where the thread started).

I believe the dash and the 17 console are two separate systems that communicate with the car and each other. That is why they are rebooted differently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

yes, indeed they are, but i meant the logic to control the roof is the same sw routine being called. i think the difference will be the command that is sent from the touchscreen is the problem and not the actual pano logic. the ts must be using a little routine to interpret touches/slides that is faulty somehow so that every first touch results in stall. the weird thing is that i'm still on 4.1 and the reseat/regrease/reglue/recal that la service guys did has fixed my problem. so. it's def some wacky combo of things causing the stall. but the good news is it's very fixable, more than one way... which is.. weird. but still good. lol.

(actually, now that i think about it, it may be as straightforward as 4.1 monkeyed with the ts pano command logic and that it simply requires a pano roof recal after install.)

i hate squeeks and rattles.

any major issues encountered?

Major? No. But something is rattling inside my passenger door on certain very specific patches of pavement (I suspect it's a resonance). That door is the one where my door handle was replaced, so something may be more loose than it was from the factory. I will ask them to look at it next time I need service.

I have a model S and X on reservation and anxiously waiting!

however, have a few questions :

as a new car, i am sure that there will be teething problems.

has anyone owner after owning for the last few months noticed any funny noises, vibrations, bits falling off recently?

i hate squeeks and rattles.

any major issues encountered?

1100 miles and very, very, very quiet. Feels very well-built.

2,600 km and the only noise issue is a possible small wind leak on the front passenger window. No rattles at all.

I have around 1200 miles on my MSP so far and suddenly last week my car developed an air leak between right front passenger window and the little triangle fixed window.
Tech tried to fix it, but it didn't work. Only happens at speed of about 50mph and higher. At least that I can hear. Faster I go the louder it is.