Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Motors Service just called. Dropped off car at 8:30am @Fremont factory. Got a call at 5:12pm wherein I was told "hopefully tomorrow" and he "thinks they're going to replace the console."

Love the car. Not overly impressed by the service (including the Enterprise Rent-A-Car service they arranged). Certainly one area the major lux car mfg. have it over Tesla.

New car.. New issues:

The walk-away lock feature doesnt work. When I slide it to 'on' it doesnt stay there. All the other options on the page work fine.. Drive-away lock, child lock, etc. Reset the screen, no difference. Deleted user profiles incase that was interferring - nope. Waiting for a call back from Tesla.

Also - I have a crackling sound coming from the front speaker -- I cannot believe it is blown?

anyone else having these issue??

Anyone else noticing their car no longer locking when they walk away? The lights stay on for a long time (5+ minutes), and I thought it was just the lights but I was coming out of a store and someone I was with was leaving another store and walked toward the car. They pressed the handle and the door opened. I'd been inside for appx 8-10 minutes.

Walk away lock setting is on, and I turned it off and back on to be sure.

I've seen through the app that my car is unlocked before, but it's been sitting in my garage with the keys just inside the house. It locks itself most of the time however....

Anyone else noticing their car no longer locking when they walk away? The lights stay on for a long time (5+ minutes), and I thought it was just the lights but I was coming out of a store and someone I was with was leaving another store and walked toward the car. They pressed the handle and the door opened. I'd been inside for appx 8-10 minutes.

Walk away lock setting is on, and I turned it off and back on to be sure.

Are you sure all the doors were closed properly? I had this happen once when some loose cargo got caught in the door jam.

If all the doors are closed properly, my car locks few minutes after you walk away.

i have a front hood alignment issues. On the Left side of the hood, I can slip my index finger in and on the right side, it is nice and tight. I am going to drop the car for them to look at.

Has anyone had this problem before.

I hear more of a "straining" sound rather than a rubbing sound. Sorry for the poor description.

I noticed immediately that the car is pretty old-school when it comes to turning the wheels -- you want to be moving while turning the wheels. 1 mph is enough. The car doesn't like turning while standing still; you scrape rubber against the pavement and it's a huge effort for the power steering. (Somewhere I read about the detailed technical design considerations which affect this, but I forget the details.) Luckily I learned to drive a car which had the same characteristic.

Does it change at all with the different steering settings?

I'll try on my next drive. It's been set to sport since pickup.

If I had to describe it, it sounds like a cable is getting caught up on the steering shaft when large inputs are made, it rubs, then releases.

I have a laundry list of items for Service, but I',m still waiting to hear if they've gotten a door handle in. My contact at the local San Diego service center was out on training this past week, hopefully we can touch base Monday and set an appointment.

Anyone have problem with audio streaming issues? I get clipping of audio playback with both my Slacker source and my iPhone 5 Bluetooth source. Although I find it hard to believe that signal strength is poor for both 3G and bluetooth from my phone, it could be that... or it could be something with the audio processing on the Android side. The problem is intermittent, but happens for a little while almost every time I get in the car. Anyone else with this?

I already tried changing the setting for slacker from "high quality" to "standard" to help in the even it was a bandwidth issue.

I have a small issue that nobody else has mentioned I believe. I work pretty hard at keeping my car clean whenever I can. Whenever I wash my car, there is an area around the rear window that collects dirt and water when washing the car. Even if the car sits, the area around the rear window will expell water and dirt on the first drive following a wash, leaving dirt streaks down the rear of the car. I wish the rear window had a seal around the glass to prevent water from pooling in this area. Over time this area has to be an area for corrosion if it is not kept free from pooling water and dirt.

I have a small issue that nobody else has mentioned I believe. I work pretty hard at keeping my car clean whenever I can. Whenever I wash my car, there is an area around the rear window that collects dirt and water when washing the car. Even if the car sits, the area around the rear window will expell water and dirt on the first drive following a wash, leaving dirt streaks down the rear of the car. I wish the rear window had a seal around the glass to prevent water from pooling in this area. Over time this area has to be an area for corrosion if it is not kept free from pooling water and dirt.

The best solution I've found...open the rear hatch.... Dry the inner areas ...by the time you finish that, the bulk of the water is gone in the glass seal area....