Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Monday 5:00pm - drive home, hear knocking/rattling from front driver-side wheel well. no tire pressure warning or abnormal driving behavior.

Tuesday 7:00am - drive back to work, still hearing knocking/rattling. still no tire pressure warning.

Wednesday 11:00am - get in car to take to Tesla Service Rockville MD. see tire pressure warning after backing out of parking space. heavy steering so I put in park, get out to see two flat tires. so i pulled over again in the parking garage as soon as possible. important: the level of garage i park on is not crowded. maybe 40% capacity. there were NO cars anywhere near where i parked.

i go back to my office, call Tesla and request a tow.

1:20pm - tow truck calls and says he's here. i come down to the garage and see this:

parking.JPG

if this WAS vandalism, then i don't understand why they didn't do the graffiti at the same time they slashed the tires? or were the tires not slashed, but there's just some @$$hole with a grudge and schoolyard chalk?

we'll know tomorrow when service gets back to me. needless to say, today sucked.

That really sucks KD; assume there's no security cameras?

thanks. not that i know of. if Tesla calls tomorrow and says the tires were slashed, i'll contact building management.

i would LOVE to have caught the guy who painted that crap with the chalk. it's douchy to double park in a crowded lot, yes. it is NOT a "douche" thing to do to double-park when there is NOBODY ANYWHERE NEAR YOU. it's further not douchy when you have two flat tires and are just trying to get out of the way.

i feel like this guy.... (profanity - not safe for work or kids)

Last edited by a moderator:
You got to quit pissing people off!

haha... i'm just tryin to get from day to day, man... trouble finds ME!

btw - what's wrong with double-parking if the garage/lot you are in is EMPTY (and stays empty)? why is that possibly anybody else's concern? i'm tired of people parking next to me and dinging my door. so why is double parking douchy if it doesn't affect anyone else?!

i think is has everything to do with jealousy and nothing to do with double-parking. again, if it's a crowded lot, it's a different story...

I use to think the exact same thing. It didn't take till the tenth time that I parked in the middle of nowhere in the back of an empty lot only to return to see only one more car in the lot, 2 ft from mine. I don't know why in a lot of 100s of extra spaces someone just has to park so my door won't open all the way...

Sorry KD!

Peter

#1 Lots become full after not being full. Somehow, it just works out that way.

#2 Double parking says to everyone else that you think you are more important than they are.

I use to think the exact same thing. It didn't take till the tenth time that I parked in the middle of nowhere in the back of an empty lot only to return to see only one more car in the lot, 2 ft from mine. I don't know why in a lot of 100s of extra spaces someone just has to park so my door won't open all the way...

WOW! I thought I was the only one who could park a mile away in an empty parking lot only to find some idiot having to park next to me.:cursing:

Sorry to hear about the possible vandalism kinddog.

Generally I'd recommend people with nice cars don't double park. Some people get the impression that you feel entitled to do whatever you want while making the assumption you're rich. Then the robin hood complex sets in and people do dumb stuff to the car. Happened a few time to one of my coworkers.

I typically park further away to a spot that will have only one car next to me and the spot that is next to me is the other car's driver side to reduce chance of door opening.

#1 Lots become full after not being full. Somehow, it just works out that way..

this is my work building garage. i know exactly what this level of the garage looks like everyday. it's usually at 30% capacity. that's why i park there in the first place.

otherwise i'd agree with you.

and when i see a nice car double parked somewhere, i don't think it says anything like "i'm better than you". it just says "i'd like to be extra careful with my car".

again... JEALOUSY is what it's all about.

- - - Updated - - -

If it's empty and stays empty, you shouldn't need to double park anyway.

You're fighting human nature. Regardless of it's right or wrong, that's never a winning proposition.

true on both counts.... :redface:

Firstly, let me state that vandalism isn't cool. Period. Sorry to see that happen, Kinddog.

again... JEALOUSY is what it's all about.

However, you are here implying motive to other people that you can't possibly know for certain. Just as those people can't possibly know your motive for double parking... yet they assumed they did.

I'm afraid I have to agree with others. Double parking, even if away form others, often sends a message. It may not be what you INTEND to send, but it maybe what's received.

While you can argue all day long about what you believe how people should respond, my (unsolicited) advice is: if you want to avoid risking damage to your vehicle, don't double park. It may not what you'd like, but as you found out, it's the real world.

Do what others have suggested: park further away in a spot least likely to inconvenience others and least likely to encourage somebody to park next to you. It's what I do. You might not be able to avoid people doing so 100% of the time... but risking a door ding on occasion is better than risking a slashing or keying.

It's just the way it is.

Seriously! What is the deal with that? I can park way out in the empty portion of the lot only to come back and find the only other car to have shown up about 6" away from me while the rest of the lot remains empty. :cursing: Sure glad guys don't do that at urinals :wink:

Happens to me too. I park way the F out in the middle of nowhere and come out to see some beater parked right next to me. It's probably on purpose.

Had my recall for the seat bracket done today. Now the back seat makes a rattle noise over every bump. Awesome. Did enjoy driving the P85 loaner...look like I'll get to again really soon.