Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe this also, and think they've been trying to tweak it with each release. A couple of versions ago, I noticed that my headlights were flicking on and off a lot more than my past cars ever did (and more than I thought was necessary).
Mine does this with 4.4. So i dont think its a 4.5 thing. The amount of time between switching is very different between these 2 scenarios: coming out of/going into my garage and driving through a lighted half mile underpass. In the underpass, the lights do switch on and off when out, but its delayed. Whereas with my garage its fairly instant. My thought wouldbe speed sensitivity. But cant say for certain.

Have to take my car in for a third time to fix the alignment and suspension issue.

3 service visits in three months.
Any explanation on not being able to fix the alignment issue.
Hope it's not something complex or unique about the suspension design.
I'm taking mine into an alignment shop tomorrow. Hit a pot hole and steer wheel is no longer centered when driving straight.

Any explanation on not being able to fix the alignment issue.
Hope it's not something complex or unique about the suspension design.
I'm taking mine into an alignment shop tomorrow. Hit a pot hole and steer wheel is no longer centered when driving straight.

I haven't hit anything...it would be nice if there actually was a causative factor.

I am beginning to believe the assembly is poor or that the problem exceeds the capability of the on site personnel.

If it is fixed and occurs again, I will be sending it up the ladder.

Sent via Tapatalk.

My door handles have been 100% reliable since they were replaced... until the other day when I came out to the car and saw this:

IMG_1776.JPG

The handle was inoperative. I pushed on it and it retracted, but it wouldn't pop out again.

Drove for 20 minutes and suddenly it was working again.

Also yesterday I realized that the door handles no longer extend when I put the car in Park. They don't extend until I open the door. Is that a new 4.5 behavior???

My door handles have been 100% reliable since they were replaced... until the other day when I came out to the car and saw this:

View attachment 23525

The handle was inoperative. I pushed on it and it retracted, but it wouldn't pop out again.

Drove for 20 minutes and suddenly it was working again.

Also yesterday I realized that the door handles no longer extend when I put the car in Park. They don't extend until I open the door. Is that a new 4.5 behavior???

I don't think so. Might want to check to make sure your door handle fuses are seated properly. Short of that, I'd suspect software bugs vs. a hardware issue. In fact, I think many of the door handle issues people were seeing early on were in fact software bugs. I had handle issues pretty frequently when I got the car, until a stable software update (4.3 or 4.4?) seemed to cure them all.

You'd be amazed what you'll find making noise.....

I found a pebble found its way between the front disc and the guard.... Nasty scraping sound when coming to a stop. Had to fish it out with a curved screw driver....

I had the same problem ('cept it was a piece of wood). It sounded AWFUL. Never had something like that happen in previous cars. Interesting.

I'm now getting a popping noise when I turn the steering wheel. Particularly at a stop or low speed and seems worse when just starting driving vs. been driving for a while. Heard from others this isn't an uncommon development, but it takes several hours to fix.

I love my Model S, but I'm not very impressed with the quality. in just 5 months I've had:
- rear door handle didn't retract
- charge port door doesn't open (but does unlock, so I could pry it open)
- rear tire hub/bearings got loose and made a "whump, whump, whump" while driving (not the lugnuts, something internal according to service)
- center screen randomly thought it was getting touched, flashing up various screens (screen was replaced)
- tar/goop drug onto the roof by the pano retracting
- steering popping sound

I think this comes close to matching or exceeding the number of non-maintenance issues I've had in all cars I've owned combined over 20 years.

I love my Model S, but I'm not very impressed with the quality. in just 5 months I've had:
- rear tire hub/bearings got loose and made a "whump, whump, whump" while driving (not the lugnuts, something internal according to service)
I curious about the "whump, whump..." wheel bearing item. I don't suppose you know what they had to tighten ?

Last edited:

Well, not for me. Mine still extend upon going into Park although since 4.5 it seems the handles on the passenger side start to extend an instant before those on the driver's side... that's new for me.

Clicking sound...

I have not had a chance to search the forum, but I have noticed a loud clicking sound when slowing down and then accelerating - it appears to be coming from the right rear wheel.

I am about the cross the 20k mile mark.

Thoughts?

There is a TSB for the clicking sound while going slowly and turning the wheel. The LA service center just fixed mine when I brought the car in to have the tires rotated.

Frunk Latching Issue

We have had a couple occasions where the frunk did not close easily and seemed the 'fix' was to close with our hands on the each side (right at the edge) of the hood. That seemed to work until yesterday when I was taking a co-worker for a quick drive and pulled back into the parking lot and right when I entered the entrance with the sloped driveway the warning chime of an open door sounded and said it was the frunk. It had actually opened and had to close it again. :scared: It seems the slight flex of the car entering the driveway on an angle possibly caused the latch to disengage or could be that the frunk wasn't closed all the way but it did stay down and seemed fine prior to it popping open.

I am going to have the SC check this when it is in for a passenger door rattle next week but wanted to see if anyone has had a similar issue.