Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've gotten into the habit of raising my suspension to Very High before backing into my garage. Of late, I've been hearing creaking sounds, more so from the rear and a bit from the front as the air suspension does its thing. A bit worried now about it.

A less worrisome creak is from the hatch lid as it closes. Some sort of lubrication or equivalent's in order for the gas struts?!

I have this same problem! I'm VIN# P03449 - about a month ago I had my tires rotated and took the service guy out on a test drive and he confirmed hearing the groan. I get it between 60 - 75 miles per hour.

Going to be bringing the car in shortly for her 12,500 service and will show this to my service manager!

Thanks!

Aaron

Although I'm the one that originally started this thread, I have been rather quiet about pointing out issues with the car. I figured I'd have service fix things and keep quiet unless it was something major that I think should be shared. Well, I now have had one of those "major" issues.

Since the first day I took factory delivery of the car I noticed that at freeway speeds (65-85MPH) there was a low pitched groan or hum sound that seemed to come from the drive train. My Lexus LS was noticeably quieter. For the past 9 months I've driven the car with this groan and lived with it. When I drove up the 5 freeway to TESLIVE I had the back seats down and the cargo cover removed because I was carrying some stuff for the event. The goran was noticeably worse with the seats down. After 5+ hours on the freeway I had a headache from the constant sound. While at the TESLIVE factory party on Saturday night I happened to be chatting with a Tesla employee and we were talking about the car and I mentioned the goan. He said this was a known issue with some early VIN cars (I'm Sig 272) and that the drive train would most likely need to be replaced.

When I got back home I e-mailed my favorite guy Vince at the LA service center and told him about my issue. He picked up the car and agreed that the complete drive train should be replaced. I just got the car back tonight and took it out on the freeway for 1/2 hour and drove at speeds above 65MHP. All I have to say is WOW! I can't believe the difference. The car is SO much quieter now it is unbelievable. If you have a car that makes a hum or groan sound above 65mph take it in to service and have them fix it. I really should have driven another S months ago on the freeway to realize that my car was NOT as it should have been. I do hope this is just an isolated problem with a few cars. I'm sure Tesla doesn't want to replace many drive trains.

FYI: Here's what they wrote on the service order:

Complaint Narrative: Customer states: Groaning noise from drive unit

Pay Type: Warranty

Cause: Internal fault in drive unit.

Correction: Drive Unit - Remove and Replace

Test drove vehicle and verified customer concern. Opened attac case and advised that
noise was coming from drive unit unit area. Was advised to replace drive unit assembly.
Replaced drive unit assembly and test drove vehicle. Vehicle working as designed.

Part - ASY,P-TRAIN,SPORT,MECH,COMPLETE - (1002633-01-B)

I would say that it greatly improves my opinion of the car. Although my Lexus LS600hL was still a quieter car at freeway speeds, this new drive train puts it much closer to the Lexus and makes it far more enjoyable to drive.

Interesting. I feel my Model S is noisier at freeway speeds than my previous Cadillac CTS was, but not by much and I really believe it's tire noise.

Interesting. I feel my Model S is noisier at freeway speeds than my previous Cadillac CTS was, but not by much and I really believe it's tire noise.

I agree. My tesla isn't the quietest car I've ever driven, but I think most of the noise is tire noise. I think it's just not as well sound proofed as some other cars.

Except... I have picked up a whine from the rear at high acceleration. I first noticed the same noise in a P85 loaner, and then a few days later it appeared in my car. I've only had my car about two weeks, and I sort of wrote it off as a known thing after reading about similar things here in the club forums.

I agree. My tesla isn't the quietest car I've ever driven, but I think most of the noise is tire noise. I think it's just not as well sound proofed as some other cars.

Except... I have picked up a whine from the rear at high acceleration. I first noticed the same noise in a P85 loaner, and then a few days later it appeared in my car. I've only had my car about two weeks, and I sort of wrote it off as a known thing after reading about similar things here in the club forums.

The drive train replacement did NOT change the high pitched balloon squeal sound on full throttle acceleration. If anything, this new drive train is a tad louder with the squeal. But I will take that sound over the horrible groan any day.

Right, it's probably a batch of defective fans.

Well, Tesla service refused to fix it, and it was present on the loaner as well.

If anyone tests the test conditions I gave, and the squeal is NOT present, then I'll have to call service and yell at them for not doing their job. I would appreciate it if someone could do so. If someone can test, letting the AC run until it's at full blast, then turning it off, and you do NOT get the squeal, please report back, because then I can force them to fix it.

---
I would appreciate it greatly if someone could test this and NOT reproduce the squeal.

Because unless I can prove that it doesn't happen on all cars, I can't get the defective fan fixed. Tesla Service Philadelphia claims that all the fans do that.

Reproduction recipe quoted from my earlier comment:
running the A/C on LO with the doors open until the compressor went up to the top notch, and then closing the door and turning the car off.
(can also be reproduced by turning the A/C off completely after letting the compressor get to the top notch. Getting to the top notch takes a while and can only be done on a hot day of course)

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues - Page 179

---
Oh, and I'm going to second the request to make this thread into an entire forum.

Last edited:
Has anyone had a problem with the rear window regulator? I hear a noticeable grinding noise when the power window button is in use

Had my car since February and I have 3000 miles on it. I finally had what I would consider a significant issue (all others were very minor). Driver rear window became disconnected from it's motor. Can't recall when exactly it happened, but that is a window I rarely use. I noticed that the window was hanging about an inch down from closed. So I tried rolling it up, and it didn't go. I rolled it down, but it wouldn't go back up. It was stuck midway. I pulled the window up to close it (it was raining). I called TM service, It was a last minute rush deal, so they had me drop it off but they gave me a P85 loaner. They fixed it within 2 days (they had to get a part from California). While it was in, they replaced my floor mats.

Other minor issues I had include: Rear seats got stuck in down position (blocked by trunk molding). Rear seat got stuck in up position (latch lever disconnected). Passenger floor mat would flop down (I didn't even complain about that... they just noticed it and took care of it). There was some adhesive goo on my roof due to the pano roof (they took care of that too).

So far, I'd say the quantity and severity of these problems are average for a new car (some manufacturers would have fewer, some more). Luckily it is less than what I expect from a new car company, with their first car, from their newly opened factory, using cutting edge technology. I have no complaints.

I seem to have a mix of similar motor noises.
If my windows are down, I hear a scratchy, squealing noise from the rear axle starting around 20 mph, peaking in volume around 24-25 mph and fading over 30 due to road/wind noise.
Service put it up on a lift and the noise from the rear axle area was very clear around 35 (no road or wind noise to cover it).
The noise only sounds when the accelerator is depressed. Doesn't seem to matter if it is a little or a lot, just that it is pushing power to the motor rather than neutral or regen.
Lately, I have noticed a very high pitch whine that occurs under the same circumstances. This is only audible when windows are up but is present at just about any speed over 20. It sounds like one of those hearing tests I used to take when young (do they do those anymore).

In addition, lately I have been hearing a groaning noise when cruising over 60.

These are all different than the acceleration whine which I take as just the regular noise with high acceleration.
The other noises worry me as I suspect they indicate a problem:(

Edit: I should note this is on VIN 116 with 14,500 miles or so.

Last edited:
Doug_G, why don't you make a separate thread about that nasty corrosion-issue? It would be interesting to see if anyone else has this. I wonder what Tesla will do about it.

Reading through this whole thread (yes, it should be chopped up) I'm getting a bit nervous about being 700km from the nearest SC. I'll get my Model S in november....

Doug_G, why don't you make a separate thread about that nasty corrosion-issue? It would be interesting to see if anyone else has this. I wonder what Tesla will do about it.

Reading through this whole thread (yes, it should be chopped up) I'm getting a bit nervous about being 700km from the nearest SC. I'll get my Model S in november....

If the problem recurs next winter then you can bet I'll raise the profile! For now I'm assuming it is a defective part.

As for Ranger service I'm over 400 km from the Toronto service center, and have been very happy with the service over the last three years.

Lets just preface this story with...today is my birthday!

So I go to my car to go to work and handles extend, I open my drivers side rear door, unplug my charger, roll it up and toss it on the floor of rear like I always do every morning.

I noticed that the radio was NOT on (as it usually is for the 30 seconds it takes me to unplug and put away my charger).

I get in the car and the center screen is off. I tap on it and...nothing.

The screen in front of me was fine, but it had a message on the bottom stating "please wait for center screen to power up". (Not sure of exact wording and was already late to work so didn't think about snapping a photo (or getting a screen shot!). Tried both reboots...and ... Nothing. (Not even my smaller screen rebooted).

Anyways...the damn car wouldn't drive either. I tried putting it into drive and it wouldn't let me. Sat there for good five mins...and nothing.

Called tesla Santa Monica and service manager was awesome. They are gonna take a look at it tomorrow. Still really hard to get loaners apparently...but he set one up for me after I dropped the birthday card ;)

Eventually (about 10 mins later) the car let me go into drive ....with center screen still off. Fine by me...I was late to work! Drove 10 whole feet, Got to the gate and....doh! Can't open damn gate b/c the center screen is out (and can't use home link!)! No backup clicker/opener in the car...so cursed a few times ...and ...tried rebooting again....and....THE WHITE TESLA T! It worked. The screen fired up, the gate opened and I FLEW to work (reminding me why I love this car in the first place). i managed to only be 15 mins late to work!

Tomorrow they are gonna see if they can figure out what the heck happened.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I did just update the software few days ago...

Lets just preface this story with...today is my birthday!

So I go to my car to go to work and handles extend, I open my drivers side rear door, unplug my charger, roll it up and toss it on the floor of rear like I always do every morning.

I noticed that the radio was NOT on (as it usually is for the 30 seconds it takes me to unplug and put away my charger).

I get in the car and the center screen is off. I tap on it and...nothing.

The screen in front of me was fine, but it had a message on the bottom stating "please wait for center screen to power up". (Not sure of exact wording and was already late to work so didn't think about snapping a photo (or getting a screen shot!). Tried both reboots...and ... Nothing. (Not even my smaller screen rebooted).

Anyways...the damn car wouldn't drive either. I tried putting it into drive and it wouldn't let me. Sat there for good five mins...and nothing.

Called tesla Santa Monica and service manager was awesome. They are gonna take a look at it tomorrow. Still really hard to get loaners apparently...but he set one up for me after I dropped the birthday card ;)

Eventually (about 10 mins later) the car let me go into drive ....with center screen still off. Fine by me...I was late to work! Drove 10 whole feet, Got to the gate and....doh! Can't open damn gate b/c the center screen is out (and can't use home link!)! No backup clicker/opener in the car...so cursed a few times ...and ...tried rebooting again....and....THE WHITE TESLA T! It worked. The screen fired up, the gate opened and I FLEW to work (reminding me why I love this car in the first place). i managed to only be 15 mins late to work!

Tomorrow they are gonna see if they can figure out what the heck happened.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I did just update the software few days ago...

Over 7 months, twice on startup the driver console has told me to wait for the touchscreen to boot up. Within 3 minutes or so, it was ready to go. Rare occurrence for me, and no issues otherwise. I wondered if it was doing some sort of indexing or OS housekeeping.

Regarding the low groan at highway speeds:

I have a P85 loaner right now as mine is in for the 12,500 mile service. The car only has about 1,500 miles on it, so must be a fairly recent VIN (forgot to check)--but I heard this groan start around 55mph (faint) and grow in pitch and volume toward 70+mph....so it seems like it may not just be very early VINs. I'll mention it to the service center when they drop my car back off.

P85 = fun.

I've got a question about the steering wheel buttons:

steering buttons.jpg

The other day when I was driving at night, they were bright white. I asked my wife if they were always that way, and she looked at me like I was being a bit slow (not unusual). I assumed it had just been a while since I drove at night, which on reflection wasn't really true. Anyway, last night, they were barely lit at all...if you cup your hand around them you can see a very dim backlighting, but it's almost non-existent, and not bright enough to actually see the button when it's really dark.

So, what's normal? Bright white, or barely noticeable?

stability control disabled

I had two warnings pop up, stability control disabled and air suspension failure. No prior indications of problems. Service report lists cause as: Faulty yaw rate/lateral acceleration sensor, Correction: Brake Sensor Cluster.

I requested the SC update to 4.5. The Courtesy Inspection Checklist indicated that the latest firmware version had been installed, but when I checked, it was still on 4.4. The 3g service is really spotty in my area. For the last update, I had to drive to a known good coverage area and request that Tesla push the update.

I called the SC and inquired about the update to 4.5. They said it was an oversight and dispatched a Ranger to install the firmware. Ranger arrives, plugs laptop in and starts update. He said it should be complete in about 20 minutes. About a half hour later, I see him pull the car out of the garage. I assume the update is complete and he's doing a quick test drive, but he parks it in the driveway. I ask how it's going. Apparently, even when loading the firmware from the laptop, the update requires 3g or wifi updates. An hour or so later, the update still hasn't finished. He asked to use my wifi to speed things up. He gets connected, but after another hour goes by, I check again. The update has stalled and factory technicians are attempting remote diagnostics.

Eventually a flatbed was dispatched to haul the car back to the service center. The controls were inoperative and the parking brake could not be disengaged, so the tow truck driver had to drive 3" wide plastic wedges under the rear tires to try and lift them off the pavement. This is marginally effective and I have nice ten foot skid marks on my driveway. I didn't hear what caused the update to fail.

I must say that all of the technicians were polite and friendly. Tesla service did everything to smooth things over including delivering a P85 loaner and taking my car to a body shop to repair a scuff on the front bumper.

Am I imagining things or wasn't there a way to manually release the parking brake? If not there should be.
To my knowledge there is not. I made a request of @ownership on this one quite a bit back. No follow-up though other than the standard "thanks for the feedback" type reply. Definitely fire off another one to @ownership if you haven't already.