Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2013 Model S and sometimes after it sits for a few days I have to reboot the center screen, this morning it took about 10 minutes after I reboot for the screens to appear. Everything is working but at the bottom of the small screen it says Center display unavailable driving and user settings could not be restored. Should I reboot again.
My 2nd MCU did that. Now on 3rd, I think. Maybe 4th if they swapped for LTE cell..

Also, for many cars, 10 years is old.
Some of us would say that 10 years old is well broken in, but not old.

I say that as someone that typically owns vehicles for ~15 years on average. Last car I finally retired was a 2005 Accord which retired in late 2021 having owned 16 years since new. Was still running fine. Decision to sell was due to downsizing our "fleet", not that it was not a reliable car.

I would concur with comments of others that upgrading from MCU1 to MCU2 is a step improvement in capability. Did that on my mid-2016 MS90D in December 2021. While I cringed at bit at the cost, I decided to bite the bullet versus getting Tesla to replace my eMMC chip before my MCU went totally non-functional.

Sorry about my flippant post. It reflects my long-held view that a car that's ten years old or has 200,000 miles (whichever comes first) should be retired for reasons of cost and safety.
Wow, 10 years is nothing especially if it's a EV. Heck, I'd likely still have my 1991 accord as a beater if it had not gotten stolen when my sister took it to school. It was recovered, but trashed (Little thugs did neutral drops, sliced up the leather seats, stole the cat and spare tire, yet the idiots left the $100 bill that was in the ash tray...). I foresee my MS and MX being on the road a LONG time. Once battery warranty is up, having the batteries upgraded to 100's.

I say that as someone that typically owns vehicles for ~15 years on average. Last car I finally retired was a 2005 Accord which retired in late 2021 having owned 16 years since new. Was still running fine. Decision to sell was due to downsizing our "fleet", not that it was not a reliable car.

I would concur with comments of others that upgrading from MCU1 to MCU2 is a step improvement in capability. Did that on my mid-2016 MS90D in December 2021. While I cringed at bit at the cost, I decided to bite the bullet versus getting Tesla to replace my eMMC chip before my MCU went totally non-functional.
Had a twenty-five year old '86 VW Golf that I planned to keep another five years until I hit a deer. Only 230k miles, so fairly low mileage for the age, because I commuted by bicycle (43,000 miles over 21 years). I figure cars should last a lot more than ten years just from a waste of resources to build them perspective.

Now my S-60 is nearing nine years old with 146,700 miles on it and I am mulling over an eventual battery replacement. My current battery is down to 162 RM, last I checked, so it makes long road trip legs difficult.

Current MCU1 (LTE) works well although I baby it a bit by keeping the map zoomed out to 500 miles or so, except when navigating on road trips, so that it doesn't have to repaint tiles. (Always have it on satellite view because it is prettier, especially where I live.) And I don't stream music, just do USB or audiobooks on my phone. Voice commands work well, especially "defogger on," which I use a lot in winter.

Thinking about the MCU2 upgrade mostly because Tesla doesn't make vertical screens anymore and once MCU2s are gone, replacing a dead screen could get really difficult. As we all know, a Tesla without a working MCU is no longer functional. That's the problem with a car being a rolling computer! As opposed to that simple '86 VW Golf I used to drive...

Last edited:
Sorry about my flippant post. It reflects my long-held view that a car that's ten years old or has 200,000 miles (whichever comes first) should be retired for reasons of cost and safety.
If I mentioned that to a "Family" member, she would be highly offended.

Ingred is 26 years young, and and still strong after 474k miles. Well fed on Mobile1 and Techron gas.

Couldn't find any info on this issue and I didn't want to start a new thread, as it may be just a unique temporary software glitch... so I ask here.

My charge control options have disappeared from the app since Thursday last week, so about the past 4 days. (see pictures of before/now)
I can't change charge limit % or current from app... I can still do it from the car touch screen.

Also, at the same time this issue started to happen (3 days ago), the LED light at the charging port stopped working completely.

I may just need to reboot the MCU to fix it (haven't yet), but was wondering if this has happened before, and could it maybe be something else?

Attachments

• whats.jpg
    whats.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 125
I have a 2013 Model S and sometimes after it sits for a few days I have to reboot the center screen, this morning it took about 10 minutes after I reboot for the screens to appear. Everything is working but at the bottom of the small screen it says Center display unavailable driving and user settings could not be restored. Should I reboot again.
Seems unusual - my 2020 S has been in the garage for five months while I was in hospital following a stroke and looks normal however I haven't been able to drive it - possibly never again will but it's been consuming wattHrs for all that time!

I still have my '65 Chevy Impala in the back yard! Needs work but still is loved! Never will say a 10 year old car is done with. Not 20 nor 30 if cared for well!

Reactions: zoltarp
Couldn't find any info on this issue and I didn't want to start a new thread, as it may be just a unique temporary software glitch... so I ask here.

My charge control options have disappeared from the app since Thursday last week, so about the past 4 days. (see pictures of before/now)
I can't change charge limit % or current from app... I can still do it from the car touch screen.

Also, at the same time this issue started to happen (3 days ago), the LED light at the charging port stopped working completely.

I may just need to reboot the MCU to fix it (haven't yet), but was wondering if this has happened before, and could it maybe be something else?
Couple of days ago I received and installed 2022.44.30.10, rebooted MCU, uninstalled and reinstalled the APP... I can no longer adjust charge limit % and current from app (while the car is charging), and the charge port light does not come on anymore. (blue-ready, flashing green-charging)
Thoughts, ideas?

Couple of days ago I received and installed 2022.44.30.10, rebooted MCU, uninstalled and reinstalled the APP... I can no longer adjust charge limit % and current from app (while the car is charging), and the charge port light does not come on anymore. (blue-ready, flashing green-charging)
Thoughts, ideas?
My thoughts...once again...

Must
Not
Update

I'll wait until at least 80% of the fleet has paved the way.

Reactions: Gtech
Thoughts, ideas?
I've had this happen to me a couple times over the past 3 months or so. What I've found in each case if having one of my family members be able to go and access my car, do a reboot of the MCU (two scroll wheels on the dash), typically resolves the issue. I'll typically ask them after the reboot to also unplug and then replug in the car, but I think it's more the MCU reboot that is really the trick. I'm currently on 2022.44.25.1 and do not have any direct experience with .44.30.10 on my car, so cannot confirm if there's something unique with this newer update, but reset of the MCU combined with unplugging and plugging back in the charging cable seems to have always resolved this for me.

I've had this happen to me a couple times over the past 3 months or so. What I've found in each case if having one of my family members be able to go and access my car, do a reboot of the MCU (two scroll wheels on the dash), typically resolves the issue. I'll typically ask them after the reboot to also unplug and then replug in the car, but I think it's more the MCU reboot that is really the trick. I'm currently on 2022.44.25.1 and do not have any direct experience with .44.30.10 on my car, so cannot confirm if there's something unique with this newer update, but reset of the MCU combined with unplugging and plugging back in the charging cable seems to have always resolved this for me.
Thanks for the suggestion, but already tried the MCU two scroll wheels reboot but that did not fix the issue.

Also it started last week while I was on the previous version 2022.44.30.5, and then received the update to 2022.44.30.10 (I was hoping the update would fix it, but it didn't) btw these software versions are the FSD Beta branch...

Another issue still related to this is the charge port remains open a lot longer. I'll unplug the charger, walk away from the car and the door handles will retract, and the charge door remains open for several more seconds.

So 3 issues all related...
1. The LED ring light no longer lights up when the charge port is open or while charging.
2. Once the car start charging, the option to change % and current limit disappears from the app
3. When done charging and cable is unplugged, door remains open for a very long time.

I believe I jinxed myself, after I installed the recent update it caused a left turn signal fault. The system said it needed service and all the left turn signal lights fast blinked when used while the left turn signal on the instrument panel didn’t appear. I tried restarting to fix but no fix.
I didn’t drive the MS for 24/36 hours (long work days) . . I drove the car and no longer any faults. Fixed itself? 🇺🇸🤠🕵️

Thanks for the suggestion, but already tried the MCU two scroll wheels reboot but that did not fix the issue.

Also it started last week while I was on the previous version 2022.44.30.5, and then received the update to 2022.44.30.10 (I was hoping the update would fix it, but it didn't) btw these software versions are the FSD Beta branch...

Another issue still related to this is the charge port remains open a lot longer. I'll unplug the charger, walk away from the car and the door handles will retract, and the charge door remains open for several more seconds.

So 3 issues all related...
1. The LED ring light no longer lights up when the charge port is open or while charging.
2. Once the car start charging, the option to change % and current limit disappears from the app
3. When done charging and cable is unplugged, door remains open for a very long time.
For anyone interested in this resolution, it turns out that these issues are caused by the failure of the potentiometer in the door electronics so that the car does not know the position of the door.
It will send the open command and the door opens, but the car has no feedback on it's position.
That's also why I didn't have the option to close the door, only to open, even if it was already open.
The charge port led doesn't come on because the car thinks the door is still closed. However there is a fail-safe in the software that still prepares the charge port to charge and drops the lock pin when a user initiates an open charge door command so that a charge port failure would not prevent charging.
Then the door stays open a long time after charging is complete, again because the car does not know it is open.
Pressing the brake immediately shuts the door because the car sens a command to the motor to close it, to make sure it is closed before driving.
Mobile tech came out yesterday and replaced the charge door, and everything is back to normal.