Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe I jinxed myself, after I installed the recent update it caused a left turn signal fault. The system said it needed service and all the left turn signal lights fast blinked when used while the left turn signal on the instrument panel didn’t appear. I tried restarting to fix but no fix.
I didn’t drive the MS for 24/36 hours (long work days) . . I drove the car and no longer any faults. Fixed itself? 🇺🇸🤠🕵️
Now, I’m going on day 6 of “cameras unavailable”. Very annoying. Even after recalibrating the cameras, no delta.

I believe I jinxed myself, after I installed the recent update it caused a left turn signal fault. The system said it needed service and all the left turn signal lights fast blinked when used while the left turn signal on the instrument panel didn’t appear. I tried restarting to fix but no fix.
I didn’t drive the MS for 24/36 hours (long work days) . . I drove the car and no longer any faults. Fixed itself? 🇺🇸🤠🕵️
What year or VIN? Not in your sig..

What year or VIN? Not in your sig..
2017MS
Plus now, I don’t have use of any autonomous cameras.
D62D8287-C315-456B-ABB1-DEEBAB5948D3.jpeg

My radio has also started to "skip" a tiny bit lately. Just a short drop out and then it continues.

2023.2.10 2012 MS P90 with MCU 2.

by "radio" do you mean streaming service like Spotify or Apple Music? If so, yes, I've been getting the same random dropouts with both of those streaming music services lately - only started very recently maybe with the last software update or two. Currently on 2023.2.10 also, 2015 MS 70D w/MCU2 upgrade

So I haven't posted on here much but I wanted to run a few things by you folks. I have a new to me 2013 MSP85 with 140K and I really am impressed with the car overall. There are a few oddities that have popped up that ended up being purely software, One being my front passenger window and then driver window not responding to the master switch. The passenger switch let me operate that door normally. So I bought a replacement master switch (Mercedes part btw A2049055302) and it did not fix the problem. The fix I eventually found was to use the Tessie app to send a vent window command to the car. This immediately let me regain full control of my driver window. However this did not seem to fix the passenger side, instead it fixed itself. I used the regulator reset procedure on all of the windows to reset their travel limits just as soon as I regained functionality. The only issue I have now is the rear left window doesn't like to auto retract when the door opens and lets itself close on the trim Owch. The windows seem to be quickly forgetting how to work correctly for any extended period of time. The other actually more serious trick it likes to play on me is to not unlock the car, particularly on cold nights when I am away from home. I have fresh batteries in my little fob but It pretends I'm not there until I mash on the top of the little car fob. Twice overnight it has decided to stop charging at home (220v 40a plug in garage) for no particular reason no power outage no popped breaker. Sorry for the long post but I can't find too much especially on windows as the recall totally dominates all search results. Thanks and best regards

• Informative
Reactions: David29
So I haven't posted on here much but I wanted to run a few things by you folks. I have a new to me 2013 MSP85 with 140K and I really am impressed with the car overall. There are a few oddities that have popped up that ended up being purely software, One being my front passenger window and then driver window not responding to the master switch. The passenger switch let me operate that door normally. So I bought a replacement master switch (Mercedes part btw A2049055302) and it did not fix the problem. The fix I eventually found was to use the Tessie app to send a vent window command to the car. This immediately let me regain full control of my driver window. However this did not seem to fix the passenger side, instead it fixed itself. I used the regulator reset procedure on all of the windows to reset their travel limits just as soon as I regained functionality. The only issue I have now is the rear left window doesn't like to auto retract when the door opens and lets itself close on the trim Owch. The windows seem to be quickly forgetting how to work correctly for any extended period of time. The other actually more serious trick it likes to play on me is to not unlock the car, particularly on cold nights when I am away from home. I have fresh batteries in my little fob but It pretends I'm not there until I mash on the top of the little car fob. Twice overnight it has decided to stop charging at home (220v 40a plug in garage) for no particular reason no power outage no popped breaker. Sorry for the long post but I can't find too much especially on windows as the recall totally dominates all search results. Thanks and best regards
Interested in one of the items you mentioned -- the refusal to unlock when cold. I have recently run into that several times this winter on my 2015 70D. Never had similar trouble in prior 7 years, to the best of my recollection. In one case, I unlocked the car once, perhaps to clear away snow or something, and then was unable to unlock it again a few minutes later. In one or two other instances, it did not unlock when I first approached it. I have not done a forum search nor have I pursued a cause simply because it seemed to resolve itself after a few minutes. But I agree, it is troublesome.

2014 P85D, 110K miles, warranty expired in January, and the SC recommended HV battery replacement after I went in for a few minor fixes. The issue was the morning of the SC visit. When I got in to drive the car there, I got my first error codes "BMS_w017 & BMS_f017... Schedule Service..." so weird this occurred the same day I was scheduled to bring the car in for a DU inspection for noise and other minor repairs and adjustments. Supercharging is slow, around 40-50kw at 50% SOC and 15-20kw at 75% SOC. I get about 180-200mi on 100% charge.

This winter, I've been getting about 240 miles rated range on my 2013 Model S 85. I live in Ontario (GTA) and purely by coincidence I was watching the monthly meeting of the Tesla Owners Club of Ontario last night and learned that there is a local aftermarket Tesla repair shop that is now doing battery module replacement and other electronic repairs other than at the individual cell level. If I was looking at a replacement of the entire high voltage battery pack, I definitely would want to know whether there is an alternative.

• Helpful
Reactions: TexasDuke
This winter, I've been getting about 240 miles rated range on my 2013 Model S 85. I live in Ontario (GTA) and purely by coincidence I was watching the monthly meeting of the Tesla Owners Club of Ontario last night and learned that there is a local aftermarket Tesla repair shop that is now doing battery module replacement and other electronic repairs other than at the individual cell level. If I was looking at a replacement of the entire high voltage battery pack, I definitely would want to know whether there is an alternative.
Suppose you want a short-term repair, module replacement. If you want a long-term repair, pack reserve. Refurbished packs from Tesla are all new modules/internals, but the case is the only component used.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Suppose you want a short-term repair, module replacement. If you want a long-term repair, pack reserve. Refurbished packs from Tesla are all new modules/internals, but the case is the only component used.
Fair enough. I'm guessing that there will be a substantial additional cost for a refurbished pack from Tesla given it would contain all new modules/internals according to your understanding.