Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S to be a full size classification?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
From the descriptions of the anticipated cargo and passenger capacity I assume the Model S is going to be large enough to fit a full-size car category, but I can't find anything officially confirming this.

Do you think there's a chance they'll keep the size down to where it will be a larger "mid-size" car? How big does it look in person? Is it as big as a Toyota Camry, bigger? smaller? Any first hand observations to help out here?

They've already stated the length as 196 inch or 4.97 m

But I don't think that's relevant to the official classification in the US. I believe it's based solely on interior volume.
Vehicle size class - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
USA regulations

American government defined class size of Federal Regulations, Title 40--Protection of Environment, Section 600.315-82 Classes of comparable automobiles. Passenger car classes are defined based on interior volume index or seating capacity, except the ones classified as special vehicle. A two seater is classified as a car with no more than two designated seating positions. Others as follows:
Class .......................Interior volume index (cubic feet)
Minicompact car .....under 85
Subcompact car.......85-99.9
Compact car........100-109.9
Midsize car ............110-119.9
Large car ........................120 or over

Last edited:
Evan,

I do not know the interior cubic feet of the car but I can tell you that it is MUCH bigger than a Toyota Camry on the inside and the outside. I am almost certain that this will be considered a LARGE car. And it will get larger when they get the doors and floor pan correct so yeah large. If it is not large it will be right on the edge at 119 cuft.

It is a big car. Pictures make the Model S seem smaller than it is, like pictures make the Roadster seem bigger than it really is. Its exterior footprint is almost the same size as my Chevy Tahoe (but of course it is not as tall). Interior-wise its claim to fame is the amount of volume it has compared to ICE cars since its drive train takes up so little room. From what I understand, the plan is to make the final version even wider than the prototype. I would be shocked if it ends up as anything smaller than a full-sized car.

It seems like the new Chrysler 300 has a lenght of 196.8 inches and that is a fullsize car. I beleive the Model S will have similar volume so it appears it will either be a very big mid-size car or a small full-size. I'm curious does it really matter ?

Cobos

I guess it doesn't really matter except in discussing and describing. With a full size car people can envision the amount of shoulder, hip, knee room and thus the amount of comfort they can expect.

People tend to think of the Prius as a "small car", but it's actually classified as a mid-size based upon interior volume and when placed side by side with other cars it's just as big.

I was more curious about the actual proportions b/c photos can be so deceptive. With all the described cargo space and seating for 7 I expected it would fall into the full-size category, but then others mentioned how cramped the back seat felt and I wondered if perhaps it was actually a mid-size.

Comparing it to BMW the announced specs for the the length of the Model S is almost right between the Series 5 and the Series 7. It's slightly closer to series 7 than 5 actually. Series 7 is a full-size car while series 5 is a midsized. So my own guess is there right at the border. That seems pretty good to me as I find parking a mid-sized Ford Mondeo pretty damn hard in Norway. You can barely fit within any parking spaces.

Cobos

I am fairly certain the back seat is going to move. The Early prototype had many issues with it not being the chassis that they were going to use space wise. I fully expect there to be more leg room in the back on the final production. My first guess would be full size.

My hope and desire is that the blue star will be firmly in the mid-size area. A Prius-size vehicle is what I'm after. If I park a full-size car in my garage, I can't get around the thing, or open the doors. Can't park it in SF, and basically just don't need all that room to rattle around in!

My hope and desire is that the blue star will be firmly in the mid-size area. A Prius-size vehicle is what I'm after. If I park a full-size car in my garage, I can't get around the thing, or open the doors. Can't park it in SF, and basically just don't need all that room to rattle around in!

I hear ya, but with my 3 kids who'll be at least 7 y/o, 12 y/o and 12 y/o when I get the Model S and hopefully growing into the car over the next 5+ years I think they'll appreciate the extra room a full-size interior will afford them over the tight hip room in the Prius-sized mid-size car.

If I park a full-size car in my garage, I can't get around the thing, or open the doors. Can't park it in SF, and basically just don't need all that room to rattle around in!

That is our problem as well. We do not have kids, and have a very small garage. It is not really an option to park an EV out on the street, but we would have to remove our washer, dryer and hot water heater for the Model S to fit (and even then it will be very tight).

I still like the idea of getting a Model S to replace my wife's Saturn, but it is not a perfect replacement and it will take some planning to do so. Today I am content to wait a bit before putting down a deposit.

They must make them garages darn tiny out in the land of fruits and nuts. We've got room for 2 vehicles, bikes between, shelfs and junk to one side, deep freezer, e-bike, sports gear and steps into the house on the other. 2 SUVs or full size cars would fit comfortably if we move the bike.

Our retirement home will include a barn bigger than the house!

I do have a 3-car garage here, and one of the bays is a pull-through to the back yard. Huge selling point when we bought. But I use one bay for my shop, and the garage houses all my other toys (we're talking tons of bikes, kayaks, constructions supplies, camping gear...) and the two cars. The garage is reasonably big, but it is all planned out around my relatively compact cars. A Big car would seriously (and ironically) cramp my style!

They must make them garages darn tiny out in the land of fruits and nuts. We've got room for 2 vehicles, bikes between, shelfs and junk to one side, deep freezer, e-bike, sports gear and steps into the house on the other. 2 SUVs or full size cars would fit comfortably if we move the bike.

Yes, our yard is measured in square feet that may well be less than your entire house! But we were paying more for having an ocean in our midst than for the car storage space at the time. :smile: