Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S to the Nürburgring Next Week!

Would Elon Announce a Nürburgring Visit Without Already Knowing the S Would Beat the Taycan’s Time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's face it, this EV sparring should have started three years ago, long before Tesla could "Plaid-up". Audi waited too long to do something with the etron. Same with the others.
The first working Taycan prototypes should have been around while Tesla were trying to fix the FWDs on the X.
Exactly, they can see where this race is headed though and they don't like it because...they are employment agencies that make cars.

Frankly China is the place to watch now, I think the new factory there was a mistake and the tesla network effect will be quickly duplicated or surpassed as well as the technology lifted. We'll see. China has the money to pour innovation into EV and just continue to throw money until they have a working solution. Employment is not the goal in China,

Frankly China is the place to watch now, I think the new factory there was a mistake and the tesla network effect will be quickly duplicated or surpassed as well as the technology lifted. We'll see. China has the money to pour innovation into EV and just continue to throw money until they have a working solution. Employment is not the goal in China,

Off topic, but I beg to differ. The technology is out there. Tesla has public patents; it's just a matter of time until their tech is copied. But China has a growing middle class right now. And that middle class places a premium on American brands as status symbols. If Tesla makes a profit this quarter, I'm betting it will be due in no small part to the creation of Gigafactory 3 and the 10% tax cut that came with it.

Reactions: dhanson865
I understand why they chose the 'ring for this, but it has an unintended consequence. It's a HORSEPOWER track, more so than a handling track. And that's where I think Tesla can have the advantage. If it was a tighter handling track (ie like most race tracks), than it would be much harder for the Model S to beat the Taycan.

Also, I think that's why they think they can shave 15 seconds (15!) off the lap time. As someone earlier pointed out, they aren't even applying full power the whole time down the straights. If they fix that (and make sure the car is ok going 200+ mph), then that could take the time off. FYI, 15 seconds is crazy. It's 3.5% faster a lap, which is huge on a racetrack.

Final note: you noticed Porsche had their Taycan prototype out there lapping when the Model S was towed off the track. Looks like they're trying to up their game as well. Just need an extra 38 seconds...

I think both can do better, and will do better.

The Taycan is sort of optimised for the 'ring with a 2 speed gear box and a well tuned car built on decades of experience with suspension and handling.

Tesla has more raw power a bigger battery, 3-motors smart software and torque steering. Tesla is also working on reducing weight and improving handling.

If think it is likely to be a fairly close contest on any tight track, but Tesla will have a clear advantage on a track with longer straights.

I can see both Tesla and Porsche spending a lot of time at the 'ring over the next year...

this is one of the problems with marketing and enthusiasts claiming track superiority for their specific car.

Results can vary greatly from track to track.

Nimble little cars (Lotus) can easily dominate a small and twisty technical track, while a much larger and more powerful (Ferrari) can eat it's lunch at a longer, higher speed course.

Different horses for different courses.

Think Taycan laid down the gauntlet at the Ring. Tesla picked it up and bitch slapped them right in the face.

And they know that virtually all cars will eventually be electric. The sooner they make the transition the better positioned they will be to compete.

They also know that going electric takes a lot of money in research and developing new expertise and new production capacity, and that a lot of their existing IP in ICE and Transmissions becomes largely obsolete. I think they're like the oil companies, hoping to hold things off a little longer to keep making big profits from their existing products.

• Helpful
Reactions: RabidYak
Okay, one thing I do appreciate about the Taycan, Porsche did actually put different left and right wheels on it for aerodynamics. Of course on Tesla's the aero effect only works properly on one side of the car, which I think is ridiculous, but at least Tesla owners always have 2 of them correct, and don't then have the option of having all 4 wheels turning the wrong direction.
Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 10.04.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 10.06.54 AM.png

But I am still trying to decide what is more stupid: Naming it turbo, or having fake exhaust ports on the back?

Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 10.09.01 AM.png

But looks like Porsche came to their senses and the production car doesn't have them:

Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 10.15.26 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 10.09.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 10.09.01 AM.png
    568.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
Okay, one thing I do appreciate about the Taycan, Porsche did actually put different left and right wheels on it for aerodynamics. Of course on Tesla's the aero effect only works properly on one side of the car, which I think is ridiculous, but at least Tesla owners always have 2 of them correct, and don't then have the option of having all 4 wheels turning the wrong direction. View attachment 457795

View attachment 457796

But I am still trying to decide what is more stupid: Naming it turbo, or having fake exhaust ports on the back?

View attachment 457799

But looks like Porsche came to their senses and the production car doesn't have them:

View attachment 457801
Almost equally silly is wheel spin and burning rubber in an electric car...

Reactions: dark cloud
Waste of energy and sensors with finite control of motor should be able to detect wheel spin at the level of milliseconds and optimally apply power. In a race application every amount of energy wasted will be needed and wasting of tires is not a great idea for racing situation as well. Think about driving a regular car on ice. A race car on the road is like that because it has so much power it’s like driving on ice.

The yapping little dog in the electric space is Porsche, overpriced, poorer specs, and no history in this space. The TayCan$ is definitely not in the same league as Tesla. I'm glad they are making an electric, but it won't be in my driveway, no charging network, poorer specs, and a history of lying to the public on specs. Dieselgate is still too fresh for me to ever consider a German car. Someone needs to drug test the author, he is delusional