Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Tour (Stores)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
VIN #46 is the white car at the Bellevue Store. I don't believe the exterior door handles are active. But that may be because the key fob is not in the car.

Also the firmware is updated and has some nice features. There is an owners manual accessible through the touch screen and a bunch of new vehicle adjustments available. I posted in the Sticky about the Model S Dashboard and Console controls at the top of the Model S forum if you want more details on the latest firmware. But I'll repeat here that the firmware now shows the settings for the adjustable air suspension, settings to control how the car locks/unlocks (You can do multiple unlock, you can set the child locks from the touch screen), the key fob has three touch zones (one to open the Frunk, one to open the trunk (and also close it if you have the power lift gate) and one to lock/unlock the doors (as well as open and close all the windows from a distance).

You can set the regen to low or normal (I'm guessing that low makes the Model S feel more like a hybrid and moves the regen to the brake, rather than the accelerator), you can turn off traction control, there are three or four (can't remember exactly) settings for steering control (i'm assuming it controls the feel and response of the steering system) and a bunch of other interesting user adjustable settings for all the aspects of the vehicle. Pretty impressive and I'm sure Tesla will keep improving it right up to production. Then once production cars are in the wild, I would anticipate that there would be updates based on user feedback.

I'd highly recommend you go to the store and sit in the car and just take your time to dig into the touchscreen controls and peruse the manual, you'll learn a lot about the car that hasn't been discussed yet on the forum.

I plan on getting there in the morning when they open; will get a quick snack at Le Pain Quotidien (it's a bakery) which is just across the courtyard. If you're in the area, you have to try Keans Coffee located at : 2043 Westcliff Drive, Suite 100
Newport Beach, CA 92660. Owned by Mr. Diedrich (of Diedrich Coffee) himself.

I will be there around 12:30. My wife is coming by around 1:30 to see the X. I will check out Keans. A good cup of java would be 'keen' around then.

Spent a while at the Newport store tonight:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336195966.012708.jpg

They had a car they said was just finished at the factory yesterday (the white above): They said its an actual performance model, but with regular signature leather.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336195994.779193.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336196183.378540.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336196259.621200.jpg

It had the latest software. Screen shots:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336196311.979853.jpg

I raised the suspension from Low to Vhigh with my foot on the ground out the door. The car went WAY up. You can see it in this mode in the wheel pic above.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336196329.136514.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336196345.916583.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336196359.625673.jpg

Most interesting of all was the keyfob. It's TINY... Size of a hot wheels car. It will be in the color of your car. No buttons of any kind though. I guess that means no remote opening of the trunk or fronk... The rep I asked said he didn't know if that was final.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336197126.514320.jpg

And a couple pics of the X proto. It's side cameras have been swapped for mirrors, and the falcon doors worked correctly (unlike at the X reveal).
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336196837.537060.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336196856.879474.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336196872.495823.jpg

IMG_1196.JPG

Gratuitous shot of the 21" performance turbines.

IMG_1198.JPG

I found out that if you "depress and hold" any of the scrollers on the steering wheel, it opened up the display options for either side of the instrument panel. You could display mileage, trip computer, estimated range, electrical system, music selection, or navigation. Each side was "smart" enough to prevent you from displaying the same information on both sides of the panel. I would kick to the next option. Superb graphics quality, btw.

IMG_1204.JPG

The left upper stalk is for cruise control, 4-way movement. There is a bottom stalk to move the steering column, and the middle stalk is for turn signal and headlamp/flash operation.

IMG_1200.JPG

The back seat of the performance had integrated rear seat headrests. The rear hatch had a speaker bar below the windshield as part of the sound upgrade package.

IMG_1201.JPG

This is the A-pillar speaker (tweeter) and you can see the beginning of the speaker bar that runs along the entire base of the windshield if you get the sound upgrade.

IMG_1202.JPG

This is a bigger shot of the base of the windshield.

IMG_1230.JPG

@dadaleus - key fob does have buttons. There are three, one at the hood, one over the top, and one at the trunk. You depress along the center to activate. It was working on the performance and I was able to lock the doors.

IMG_1231.JPG

Pic of the working door handles. I found out that if you touch the chrome while it is extended, it will withdraw. Touch inside the handle, and it will open the door. Door pops open with an electric click!

Last edited:
On VIN #46 at the Bellevue store there is an onboard manual accessible through the touch screen. It says the key fob also can open and close the windows in addition to its ability to open and close the trunk (remote closing is with the power lift gate option available in the tech package, the fob will only release the frunk lock, not actually open the frunk and it won't close the frunk). Another neat feature is the ability to customize the opening height of the trunk. I'm assuming that is also only available with the power lift gate option. I think the manual said you hold down the trunk release button on the key fob continuously as the power lift gate is opening and then release it at the height you want it to stop it. It will remember that height and only open it that high. I'd guess you could then manually open it higher if you wanted to. Handy for people who might have low ceilings in their garages.

Maybe they will use that system for the Falcon wings doors in the X to keep them from hitting the ceiling for people who have low height parking bays?

Last edited:
Great pictures dadaleus and spatters0911. Thanks. Any video of the handles or pano roof by any chance? What were your impressions of the interior?

I didn't get any video of the handles working, although they were very simple to operate. My 4-year old daughter walked up and tapped it to get it to pop out. Handles popped out pretty quickly, then, when you made as light pulling motion on the inside metal, the servos pop the door open. Handles stay out as long as the door is open. Fit and finish of the door handle to body was very good.

Now...interiors...

The quality varied from car to car, obviously.

Beta 53 was a pearl white performance with tan interior. Seats were standard sig leather, though. Advisor said that Tesla didn't have tan performance seats available at the time car was built. Depending upon which advisor you asked, the car either came off the line or was hand built. I tend to think line over hand-built. Pearl white was excellent quality, glistened in the sun, with nice depth. Nearly Lexus quality IMHO, and I consider Lexus pearl white to be the gold-standard. Tan interior was surprisingly VERY nice, and matched the headliner very well. Headliner was alcantara. I think the pictures from the design studio do not do it justice. It is so much nicer in person. trim was CF, although the CF was a matte patina and not much depth. It differed from the hand samples. It didn't quite pop like I thought it would, but was still attractive.

Fit/finish outside was typical beta, with a slight panel rise on the right hood corner at the rear, and some panel gap issues, although, pearl white showed the gaps far more than black, obviously. CF bits on the front lip and rear diffuser were superb -- SO WORTH IT! If you don't get performance version, the aftermarket will develop these bits and they really look nice. There was no CF on the Tesla T of the nose of the car. I guess it wasn't ready at build time, but the advisor acknowledged that it was supposed to be there. Spoiler was CF and looked good enough to convince me to keep it. Made the car look that much more aggressive than the other betas. No obvious brake differences.

Interior fit/finish was also typical, although better quality. The dash was apparently leather covered, although I didn't think it was real leather. There simply isn't an example of one car with the full package out there that I know of. It is still kind of a FrankenTesla. Leather felt great and seats were comfortable with easy adjustment. My advisor was 6'4" and had decent headroom up front. I am 5'10" and front and back were very comfortable, no headroom issues, although the 6'4" crowd and up had better slouch a little in the back. Beta 53 had the painted roof, btw. It had the sound upgrade and we tested the sound. Sub was good quality, although I'm certain it wasn't tuned yet in that car. Base of windshield had a sound bar along base which contained additional tweeters for a center channel effect. A-pillars had typical tweeters as well. No settings available to modify sound quality or EQ. I think they just weren't turned on.

Screens all had quick response. Settings for lighting were active. Apps tab has been removed to a sub menu within settings where you can see all "apps" including native Tesla stuff. The key here is the menu navigation and whole touchscreen operation is very intuitive and you get an expected reaction to your input. In the radio screen, for example, I simply slide the dial and I can change stations quickly, or I can press buttons to inch it forward one station at a time. Nice big buttons. Google maps was brisk. Advisor said that given amount of data is relatively small, 3G bandwith is more than sufficient to handle the data needs. He also confirmed OTA updates for service/upgrades.

No one knew anything about center panel options.

Rear charge port was only opened by internal button on touchscreen, although advisor said it will pop open when you approach with a UMC or HPC charge plug.

... More to come ...