Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In case anyone is interested in a Torklift and lives in SoCal, I have one that was never installed on my 2020 (I sold that car and got a 2022 and put the OE Model X hitch on that car). Send me a DM.
New member here, it seems that I can't PM you until I have a post count. I'm in SD and interested in your hitch. Would you mind sending me a PM with your contact info? Thanks

Reactions: cmarshack
Does anyone have the Torklift Tesla “undercover” to plug the hole when the receiver tailpiece is removed? If so would you share your thoughts on how well it stays in place with the magnet, whether it covers the entire cut out, whether it rattles, and how hard it is to remove it when needed.

I had one on my 2020 S. The undertray needs to be cut to fit the hitch so if done carefully the undercover will fit the hole. The magnets hold it into the hitch and it’s easily removed as needed. Works well.

I just had the x7201s ecohitch hitch installed on my 2018 Model S. When I got home and grabbed some stuff out of my trunk. I was surprised to see the bumper crossmember/reinforcement bar in there. From reading through this thread, I get the impression that the crossmember is not reinstalled with the x7201s version (whereas it was reinstalled with the x7201 version).

Can someone please confirm that is the case?

Thanks!!

I just had the x7201s ecohitch hitch installed on my 2018 Model S. When I got home and grabbed some stuff out of my trunk. I was surprised to see the bumper crossmember/reinforcement bar in there. From reading through this thread, I get the impression that the crossmember is not reinstalled with the x7201s version (whereas it was reinstalled with the x7201 version).

Thanks!!

I have the x7201 on my 2020 S, and instructions did not say to reinstall the reinforcement bar. However, I frequently move kids in the third row so I did go ahead and reinstall my reinforcement bar (for added protection) and it fit right up without any problems.

PXL_20230317_201303752.jpg

Reactions: Watts_Up
For the new x7201s, the bumper support and reinforcement is not reinstalled. It would not fit even if you tried. The older (and less strong) x7201 is designed to have it reinstalled on top like xxaarraa said.

Thanks!!

This thread would've been good in the spring when i installed my x7201s...

I have a 2020 S (raven/ld plus), and a Tekonsha no splice harness that I've yet to get to work...so, hauling a trailer with lights is pretty much not happening. Looking for any thoughts/advice on that! :)

The instructions for the x7201s were a little ... wrong... and yeah we were concerned about getting it to fit properly but it ended up working out without the bar.

Anyone actually able to get at the Safety chain hook holes up in there? They're useless on the x7201s... best I can tell. We cut a hole and don't use a cover for it anyway.

@xunlinkx
I'm using 1/2" x 22" because I tow significant trailers. Works beautifully on my x7201s

And for trailer lighting I'm using jjvan's setup. Sure, it was more work but it works flawlessly. I have more detailed notes (like wiring labels) from him in DM if you'd like copies.

Wiring colors can vary by year, here's a few I compiled, and you can find yours for absolute sure in the diagrams at service.tesla.com

Attachments

• TeslaModelS Hitch.txt
    992 bytes · Views: 32
Last edited:
Reactions: jjvan
Yes that's what I did. I will share a picture when I get the car back.

The motor got coolant flooded June 2023, so it's been at BCH getting rebuilt. They reinstalled it but it still has the "rear motor disabled" error, so we're trying to source a replacement inverter. On it's final drive, the motor kicked like a mule a few times, so I suspect a fried inverter. Thankfully QC developed a coolant bypass, so I can cease rebuilding the motor every few years.

The shackles hang just slightly below the bottom trim for quick chain attachment. The thick black sheath is long enough to protect both the upper hitch chain attachment, and the lower actual chain attachment, while camouflaging the visible part.

Last edited:
I had someone ask me more details on the how this relay board for trailer wiring is hooked up. Here is a labelled photo that I hope clarifies the connections. I'm sorry that some of the wire colours are not intuitive.

View attachment 869144
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how are your car's tail lights connected? I see them coming into the board as Left Tail In, Left In, Right Tail In, etc, but I don't see anything going back to the tail lights.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how are your car's tail lights connected? I see them coming into the board as Left Tail In, Left In, Right Tail In, etc, but I don't see anything going back to the tail lights.
Those left/right wires connect to the wires of the car tail lights. I specified the colours in my original post which I'll copy here. Sorry no photos of those. Left Turn (from car) = Left in wire, Right Turn (from car) = Right in wire, Left Tail (from car) = Left Tail in wire, Right Tail (from car) = Right Tail in.

Here are the wire colours that I tapped into for a 2015 85D which I found on a Tesla circuit diagram here:

Liftgate module on right side of trunk:
12V+: Red - Gray
12V-: Black

Rear light on right side of trunk:
Right Turn: Tan-Black
Right Tail: Tan-Dark Blue

Left light on left side of trunk:
Left Turn: Red
Left Tail: Violet-Gray

• Helpful
Reactions: cleverscreenam
Those left/right wires connect to the wires of the car tail lights. I specified the colours in my original post which I'll copy here. Sorry no photos of those. Left Turn (from car) = Left in wire, Right Turn (from car) = Right in wire, Left Tail (from car) = Left Tail in wire, Right Tail (from car) = Right Tail in.
How did you tap into the other button wires?

I'm trying to do this on mine as well, but I'm not sure where this module is. Is it right in front of the passenger side tail light? Mine is a refresh '22 so it might look a little different. How would I know which wires are the 12v+ and 12v-?
The liftgate module on mine (2015 85D) was just behind the wheel well on the right side under the carpet liner. The 12V power wires were the thicker gauge ones and were coloured:

Liftgate module on right side of trunk:
12V+: Red - Gray
12V-: Black
I used quick connects to connect the wires as show in the image.

Thank you so much. I'm going to try this tonight. I've noticed that everyone just runs the trailer plug out through the trunk so that the liftgate closes on it. Is it not possible to run the wire down to the hitch receiver, so the plug ends up there, like most hitch receivers?

Thank you so much. I'm going to try this tonight. I've noticed that everyone just runs the trailer plug out through the trunk so that the liftgate closes on it. Is it not possible to run the wire down to the hitch receiver, so the plug ends up there, like most hitch receivers?
I personally prefer to keep the trailer wires in the trunk to keep it out of the weather and avoid corroding the connector. It also saves having to drill holes to the outside of the car. The liftgate seal is soft enough that it doesn't damage the wiring.

I did as much as I could yesterday, but I didn't know how to choose the 12V source. The '22 is much different than the pictures of the other model years I've seen here and elsewhere. There is no power liftgate module. Instead, there's an amplifier and subwoofer. I thought if I tapped into any of those wires, it could cause some noise in a speaker. Here are some photos of the area. If anyone could help me select a 12v source, I would greatly appreciate it. For anyone looking for light wiring for 2022 Model S, mine is:
Right Turn - Light Brown
Brake Lights - Purple
Left Turn - Dark Green
Tail Lights - White (light grey) - This one was hard to find because where I tapped into the wires, there's a wire for the trunk light that's also white right next to the tail light wire. The tail light wire is just slightly less white, or maybe it's the same and I just got lucky when I guessed it and tested it.

PXL_20240114_204325231.jpg
PXL_20240114_221001829.jpg
PXL_20240114_221008250.jpg
PXL_20240114_221019986.jpg