Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - V9 software downgrade, not what I purchased.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A overwhelming majority of people complaining about the same set of issues.
Tesla has 3 products. They broke 2 of them
Did anyone really want missile command over android auto and apple carplay? Would you rather have digdug or the ability to respond to texts with voice commands?
You have a rather confused view of the world, and it's making you rather unhappy. You bought a car with software that is intended to be updated. That means it will change. You bought that, but you don't seem to understand what it means. Some things will get better and some will get worse over time. You don't get to choose and you get no control. If you don't like that, then don't buy such a product.

I'm quite sure the vast majority of Tesla owners don't care one way or the other. I doubt they could tell you what's different. Observing the complaints you see here tells you little about the wider world.

Meanwhile, Tesla is heading towards a world of full self driving. This whole question of what goes on the screen that isn't entertainment will become increasingly irrelevant. That's what they are concentrating on. And me, I'm kind of amazed to be observing the massive amounts of complaints from people saying that yesterday they were driving a car ten times better than any other car out there, but now it's degraded to only 9.99 times better and they sure are angry about it.

I just saved spending hundreds of dollars on a dash cam! And the UI differences between the V8 and V9 on the S and X are inconsequential. In fact the UI differences between the 3 and the S are inconsequential. They're good enough. And they're all software so they're going to change, mostly for the better. Get used to it.

Look, I liked having the rear camera view on top, but a couple of you are really not Tesla owners or never should have been Tesla owners... When Tesla is one of the safest crash vehicles e-v-e-r, you are going to have a cow (this much) over the camera position change? Golly! Just lodge your complaint for this minor annoyance (like the rest of us) and quit the drama...

You bought a car with software that is intended to be updated. That means it will change. You bought that, but you don't seem to understand what it means. Some things will get better and some will get worse over time. You don't get to choose and you get no control. If you don't like that, then don't buy such a product.
Real questions and I'm hoping for an honest answer: Let's say Tesla decides to boost income by putting full-screen, unskippable ads at volume 3 every 30 seconds. No opt-out. You would embrace this change? You wouldn't complain? You would buy another car that did the same thing?
And that's not a contrived example, by the way.
PD & Edit: That's all it would show now: ads and a black screen. Embrace change and stop complaining? For the advancement of the cause? Where do you draw the line?

Last edited:
You have a rather confused view of the world, and it's making you rather unhappy. You bought a car with software that is intended to be updated. That means it will change. You bought that, but you don't seem to understand what it means. Some things will get better and some will get worse over time. You don't get to choose and you get no control. If you don't like that, then don't buy such a product.

*SIGH* I do so love these defenses of the indefensible. You bought a car where the manufacture has the right remove safety features whenever they want, so deal with it. But, that isn't the case. ALL my products are upgradable, but one thing they all have in common is that I can undo an upgrade and/or have methods to reconfigure when necessary. I have never had the fundamental features of my computer/phone/tablet change, as Tesla has done with this update.

I'm quite sure the vast majority of Tesla owners don't care one way or the other. I doubt they could tell you what's different. Observing the complaints you see here tells you little about the wider world.

I am 100% sure you are wrong on this, based on the actual evidence. When you work in business, you learn to understand certain things. The fact that they have received thousands of calls over the past two weeks from people who are willing to sit on hold to up for 2 hours tells you this is a microcosm of what is actually going on, which is the majority of people are unhappy.. most just don't express it. Throw into that a sudden surge in people wanting to trade in their Teslas.. so much so that a local Lexus dealership wasn't interested in even discussing the trade in value, tells you exactly what is happening.

Meanwhile, Tesla is heading towards a world of full self driving.

That is 10 years away, at BEST. Anyone who thinks otherwise isn't paying attention to the realities of what that will take.

This whole question of what goes on the screen that isn't entertainment will become increasingly irrelevant. That's what they are concentrating on. And me, I'm kind of amazed to be observing the massive amounts of complaints from people saying that yesterday they were driving a car ten times better than any other car out there, but now it's degraded to only 9.99 times better and they sure are angry about it.

This is where you make your major mistake. Before the update, I had a car that had pros and cons, but the fact that it was full electric made it a better option. The car was lacking in MANY aspects vs its competition. It wasn't ever 10 times better than any other car out there. It was inferior to most other cars on the road in MANY ways. Terrible technology integration, as you still needed to use your phone for most functions that the car SHOULD be able to do. Large wait times for any service issue and god forbid you need body work done (we had to wait 4 weeks on a fender replacement when someone hit it). The mileage is not good, as a 5 mile trip will often eat 20 miles off the meter. Probably the worst visibility of any car on the road, unless you had the camera up on the center console, then it was actually better than most other cars.

What the Tesla had going for it was it was the ONLY Luxury full EV car. Other cars were FAR SUPERIOR on the technology integration front, but they were hybrids or gas cars. Other cars could compete on the EV front, but most of them had inferior range (90 miles on the Honda Clarity) OR gave up basic features (ie, manual seats in the Chevy Bolt). Our car also had free supercharging for life, which was nice, but not really necessary since we have free charging at home.

In short, the pros of the Tesla just outweighed the cons and now that has flipped because the con of the bad visibility has become a real problem.

I just saved spending hundreds of dollars on a dash cam! And the UI differences between the V8 and V9 on the S and X are inconsequential. In fact the UI differences between the 3 and the S are inconsequential. They're good enough. And they're all software so they're going to change, mostly for the better. Get used to it.

Not sure why you NEED a dash cam or where you could even spend "hundreds of dollars" on one. They cost $40 at Home Depot.

I am sorry you are stuck with a car that you have to apologize and make excuses for. The software changed drastically for the worse and the company is relying on people to leap to its defense, rather than address the problem, which is why they are losing customers.

Look, I liked having the rear camera view on top, but a couple of you are really not Tesla owners or never should have been Tesla owners... When Tesla is one of the safest crash vehicles e-v-e-r, you are going to have a cow (this much) over the camera position change? Golly! Just lodge your complaint for this minor annoyance (like the rest of us) and quit the drama...

Thank you for making my point so well... "never should have been Tesla owners... "

Taking away a major safety feature is not a "minor annoyance". But, I guess anyone who doesn't just accept having their car downgraded to be inferior never should have right to own the car in the first place.

And people wonder why I want out of this cult.

Better yet
Real questions and I'm hoping for an honest answer: Let's say Tesla decides to boost income by putting full-screen, unskippable ads at volume 3 every 30 seconds. No opt-out. You would embrace this change? You wouldn't complain? You would buy another car that did the same thing?
PD & Edit: That's all it would show now: ads and a black screen. Embrace change and stop complaining? For the advancement of the cause? Where do you draw the line?
Better yet, cloud mining that causes your AP to go offline during non rush hour times.....

I am sorry you are stuck with a car that you have to apologize and make excuses for.
I make no excuses. I am sorry you are unable to recognize a great car. You clearly should not own a Tesla. Once you have gotten rid of it, then maybe you'll stop complaining. Although we have seen this sort of thing before -- people joining the forum to complain bitterly and it turns out it's just fake. I personally have met hundreds of Tesla drivers and I don't know any who complain like this.

Taking away a major safety feature is not a "minor annoyance".
Keeping your rear camera on while driving forward isn't a "major safety feature" or even a minor safety feature. It may even be a dangerous distraction. As I said before, you're obviously confused. Feel free to cite NHTSA data showing otherwise.

And people wonder why I want out of this cult.
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

What you are describing is not a minor or even a major UI change. It would reflect a severe change in the relationship between the company and the drivers of its cars. It would not be the sort of relationship I would want any part of, so I would leave.

What seems to be missing here is a recognition that by buying a Tesla you are trusting the company to get the driving software good enough to not kill you or other drivers. And to keep it that way through updates. And to prevent hackers from messing with your car. A company that would do the sort of thing you describe above is not trustable (in my book anyway) so I'd be out.

What you are describing is not a minor or even a major UI change. It would reflect a severe change in the relationship between the company and the drivers of its cars. It would not be the sort of relationship I would want any part of, so I would leave.

What seems to be missing here is a recognition that by buying a Tesla you are trusting the company to get the driving software good enough to not kill you or other drivers. And to keep it that way through updates. And to prevent hackers from messing with your car. A company that would do the sort of thing you describe above is not trustable (in my book anyway) so I'd be out.
Thank you for the well-reasoned response!

Pardon my bluntness, but this is total BS. Firmware updates are not mandatory and the owner absolutely *does* have control. He owns it. He never agreed, anywhere, to allow Tesla to update the software and change/remove functionality. That is totally up to us. In the case of other tech companies like Apple, Google, etc., we know what's included in an update and can make an educated decision whether to update. Tesla keeps you in the dark.

We absolutely have the right not to update and to keep our vehicles unchanged. Tesla doesn't get to do what it wants here.

Meanwhile, Tesla is heading towards a world of full self driving. This whole question of what goes on the screen that isn't entertainment will become increasingly irrelevant.

That's unfortunate, because Tesla will lose customers to brands like Porsche who actually build vehicles to be driven by those who enjoy driving. If Tesla's are just for passengers, that's a sad statement for sure.

I'd like to point out that for pre-AP1 cars (such as mine) V9 has added absolutely no improvement or extra feature whatsoever. We did not get a dash-cam functionality, we did not get any autopilot improvement (since we do not have the hardware for it), so all we got is some lost functionality, e.g. I always had the rear-view camera on the top panel.

Unfortunately, software updates for Tesla were always aimed at the latest hardware version only. OTA upgrades are great, but kinda pointless if your hardware does not support the new features...

I make no excuses. I am sorry you are unable to recognize a great car. You clearly should not own a Tesla. Once you have gotten rid of it, then maybe you'll stop complaining. Although we have seen this sort of thing before -- people joining the forum to complain bitterly and it turns out it's just fake. I personally have met hundreds of Tesla drivers and I don't know any who complain like this.
Owner since 2014 here. If you can't realize that Tesla is weak on accurate timelines, lacks a proper/official way to communicate resolutions to problems (tweets that say 3 months maybe, 6 definitely can't count and prove my point), and has been extremely slow to bring their infotainment software up to par with other standards (again, par is not the goal, they need to exceed. And with regards to nav waypoints, carplsu, Android auto, POI, media player, this whole camera nonsense, they are failing), then you are just plain delusional.

Now, to argue your response for you; holy crap, what other car manufacturer do you know that continues to bring software improvements, for free, for cars that are approaching 7 years on the road? Zero, just plain zero. Tesla is king here, no doubt about it.

Keeping your rear camera on while driving forward isn't a "major safety feature" or even a minor safety feature. It may even be a dangerous distraction. As I said before, you're obviously confused. Feel free to cite NHTSA data showing otherwise.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I need to keep the rear camera on top because I need my eyes the least distance from front as possible. With rear facing seats, the rear window shade is a requirement. Moving the camera view to the bottom is a safety issue for us.

You ARE making excuses and yes, it is an okay car. Not great. It's okay.

I can't help but notice you failed to address ANY of the points I raised in my post and instead just attack the messenger.. "You clearly should not own a Tesla."

You are right. I like things that work well and companies that stand behind their products. So, Tesla obviously isn't for me.

Reactions: marchino
Pardon my bluntness, but this is total BS. Firmware updates are not mandatory and the owner absolutely *does* have control. He owns it. He never agreed, anywhere, to allow Tesla to update the software and change/remove functionality. That is totally up to us. In the case of other tech companies like Apple, Google, etc., we know what's included in an update and can make an educated decision whether to update. Tesla keeps you in the dark.

We absolutely have the right not to update and to keep our vehicles unchanged. Tesla doesn't get to do what it wants here.

I only learned this very recenty, because Telsa CHANGED their warranty since we purchased our car back in September 2017. (they made this change in January of 2018 and been applying it retroactively)

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/Model_S_X_Warranty_NA_en.pdf

"You are responsible for the proper operation of the vehicle and for receiving and maintaining detailed and accurate records of your vehicle’s maintenance, including the 17-digit Vehicle Identification Number (“VIN”), servicing center name and address, mileage, date of service or maintenance and description of service or maintenance items, which should be transferred to each subsequent purchaser. You may void this New Vehicle Limited Warranty if you do not follow the specific instructions and recommendations regarding the use and operation of the vehicle provided in your owner documentation, including, but not limited to: • Installing the vehicle's software updates after notification that there is an update available; • Complying with any recall advisories; • Carrying passengers and cargo within specified load limits; and • Making all repairs." (emphasis added)

So.. if you want to keep your warranty you are REQUIRED to do the software upgrade.

PS: Went and looked a Lexus ES350h this morning and the salesperson told me they have had a large number of Tesla owners come in this last 2 weeks looking to trade in their cars? So much so, they weren't THAT interested in my Model S, despite having under 5K miles on it. It didn't end up mattering b/c the current ES350h's don't have android auto in them yet, those models won't be in until December. But, i got to explain to them WHY Tesla owners were suddenly trading in their cars.

You see.. most people don't bother complaining. They just act. I'm not happy with this car anymore, so I'll get rid of it. They now have a 2018 100D sitting on their lot with 3K miles for UNDER 100K. They also told me about a green 2018 P100D they had just taken in earlier that day and haven't priced yet.
Tesla has never produced the P100D in Green in 2018.... Lexus - LOL -- those are the ones with that ugly cat fish mouth grill with cancer that gasps, as it sees my taillights fading into the distance...

Last edited:
I think that most of us who don't like the camera display change have or will complain to Tesla.

But it is amusing and makes me chuckle how it can seeming flip a couple of people out to where they are overwhelmed by the change.:D Plenty of cars have poor rear visibility and most have no camera showing the rear view while going forward. In fact, I am curious what other brand does. I certainly don't have the sour puckers as bad as a couple of you.:confused: Anyway... I am in agreement that I want it back on top but I am still laughing that we are alleged cult members.:) This could be the start of a good Stephen King movie!! Zombie Tesla Drivers Invading!

I think that most of us who don't like the camera display change have or will complain to Tesla.

But it is amusing and makes me chuckle how it can seeming flip a couple of people out to where they are overwhelmed by the change.:D Plenty of cars have poor rear visibility and most have no camera showing the rear view while going forward. In fact, I am curious what other brand does. I certainly don't have the sour puckers as bad as a couple of you.:confused: Anyway... I am in agreement that I want it back on top but I am still laughing that we are alleged cult members.:) This could be the start of a good Stephen King movie!! Zombie Tesla Drivers Invading!
I personally don't like the camera on top and never use it there. It's the idea of taking away paid features (split screen) that I have issue with. It sets a very bad precedent.
I think some of us get frustrated and come across a little over-the-top on a forum. Speaking for myself, I'm pretty sure that's true. I would buy anyone on here a beer or two. Although the actual UI people at Tesla might end up with Milwaukee's Best Light.:)

Yes, plenty of cars have poor rear visibility and don't get purchased.

My wife would not have purchased this car, except for the rear camera. It now just sits in the garage, unused.

Reactions: marchino