Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S vs Model 3 First Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What Vin had all those issues? Our car is flawless. No panel gaps, much tighter build than our 2017 S90D. The 3 is quick, fun, light and nimble. Extremely crisp handling.

Only thing I could complain about are some
of the software bugs left to be addressed.

To me the loaded 3 at $53k after incentives in CA is 85-90% of the key features of the S for half the price!

Only thing missing is faster acceleration and air suspension. Oh and the Model 3 navigation and UI speed is ways better than S. Hopefully S gets the update soon.

My VIN is 23xx. Panel gaps all look even except as I mentioned the fronk hood to fenders.

Yes, the UI speed is fast. I'm sure the processor is upgraded from a 2-3 year old S. Navigation is slightly better I think, still miss the 2nd display on the side of the instrument cluster.

I've had a Model S for almost five years, loved it more than I could ever imagine loving a car, and picked up my Model 3 on the first day of deliveries to non-employees, Dec. 22nd. I'm really, really impressed. It drives like it's the S's smaller, nimbler, sportier little brother -- or, like I said to my son, it's a halfback compared to the S's fullback. Stiffer suspension, which is a plus or minus depending on your preferences, but I love the ride. I agree that I'll miss the smart air suspension -- the curbs are ridiculously high in my neighborhood -- but it has so much new tech I can't really complain.

My one nitpicky complaint so far is the placement of the iPhone charger within the charging compartment; if you have a protective case on your phone, even a slim one, it won't work -- you have to actually remove your phone case. I understand that not all cases are the same thickness, but... c'mon, this was solvable. One suggestion: if you live in a hot climate, I'd recommend tinting the windows and windshield just for the heat reduction alone.

The car is 100% Tesla, and that's a good thing.

Silly me, to assume all Model 3 get HUDs. It seemed so logical given the lack of an instrument panel.

Definitely a faux pas, a big one IMHO, turning away from forward head position to check instruments is when safety becomes a real concern.

A bulky aftermarket OBDII HUD will be a necessary add-on.

Good luck without an OBDII port. Also you don't need to turn your head, you can just glance with your eyes. As a current owner of a vhicle without a HUD… won't miss it.

Reactions: Pkmmte
@MrBilly,

Excellent write up! Thank you for taking the time. What was the fix for the struck auto tilting side mirror? Software via a Tesla? You mention you’ll miss the next three......I’m waiting for sunroof, SAS and possibly heated steering wheel as well though I don’t anticipate the last on the 3. Also holding out for a AWD.
Overall sounds like your very happy!
Congratulations and enjoy!

Ski

I still don't understand why you or anyone else wouldn't expect heated steering wheel on the model 3. Leaf and Prius both have it and I consider both to be less luxurious than the Model 3.

Model S70D owner from new early 2015, flew to Fremont to pick up new Model 3, first impressions while taking our time driving back down to Southern California.

Model 3 Pros
• Efficiency so far appears to be better than my S70D where I average in the 280 to 290's.
• Handling with Model S is really good for a big car, 3 is even better. Light and nimble feeling.
• Push a button on the door handle inside and the door unlatches electronically.
• Sound system seems better than S with upgraded sound option.
• Rear seat has a fold down armrest with cup holders.
• Map pockets in all doors.
• Sun visors are more substantial feeling, are taller, telescope out when to the side like on Mercedes, and have a lighted mirror on both sides.
• Center console seems very functional with a lot of compartments. But I have a yacht floor on my model S so I don't have anything to compare it to.
• Front visibility is excellent due to very large windshield and short, low hood.
• Electronic vent direction controls are fun and my wife thinks they are more functional than manual grab it versions in the S or all other cars.
• Acceleration based just on seat of the pants is maybe a tick slower than the 70D but still as fast as anyone would need.
• Door windows automatically roll slightly down and up when doors are opened and closed to help the seal as many cars do.
• The 3 roof has even more glass than my S with sunroof. The whole interior above the sill is basically all glass except where structural members are.

Model 3 Cons
• Trunk does not auto open or close even with the PUP option. Have to push outside of trunk (painted area which gets dirty) to close.
• Missing instrument cluster area screen is hard to get used to. After 2 days of driving still find myself looking directly ahead at the wood behind the steering wheel when driving.
• Missing functions from steering column stalks is also hard to get used to. Some windshield washer functions, auto speed settings are only available from the center screen. Mirror and wheel position adjustments are ok.
• Some functions in the S instrument cluster left/right areas are missing from the 3 center screen. Analog clock with second hand, power meter with graduations (there is a thin unmarked colored line power meter), separate navigation turn direction close up.
• No electronic owners manual. Expect this may be added later.
• Wifi doesn't work. Expect this to be fixed later.
• Rear visibility is poor. Rear glass stopping too high at trunk causes most of this.
• No internet browser function. Even if it weren't ever added I wont miss it much since the browser was so bad but there is no longer a way to change the entire screen display to fun things like flux capacitor or valet instructions.
• Regenerative breaking as expected feels not as strong as on the S70D due to having a single motor but still good enough for 1 pedal driving in most situations.
• I'll miss the sunroof, air suspension, heated steering wheel on my S not available on the 3.
• Car unlocking has been harder for me having to get out and swipe the card with no keyfobs but should be resolved once I get the unlock via bluetooth part of the Android phone app working. The delivery center couldn't get it working on my phone, told me to call service. I was there for hours and wanted to leave so didn't make a big deal about it. Works from my wife’s newer Android phone.
• Few glitches so far include auto tilting side mirror getting stuck tilted down, emergency brake needing service notice seen once, regenerative breaking ability decreased notice seen once don't know why (charge was not high), front hood / fender panel alignment (noticed after delivery, will take in later for that).
• Occasional slight steering vibration is worrisome, will take in for that if it persists and if I think it is not just the road.

Thanks for the update. I have a Model 3 on order that had a February - April 2018 delivery date which is now just open. I'm also a Model S owner as well. Being a Model S owner, do you have regrets getting the Model 3 versus just upgrading to a newer Model S?

MrBilly: "Also on the trunk size I don't want anyone to think it is nearly as wide as the S. I said some may be comfortable sleeping back there, probably only one person and not if you're tall."

... or by 3 sisters ...

IMG_7048.jpg

Vs. Model S (Mid-2015 85D)
Exterior = Draw ... and that's good! (Agree that it looks way better in flesh than in photos)
Fit & Finish = Draw ... and that's good! (vs. VIN 86xxx)
Door handles = Simpler, thus better (in light of my recent MS door-handle failure)

Phone-key approach = Better ... but one must figure out system to remember phone (and house key!)
Wallet card key = Flat-out cool
Hope these come to MS/X soon

Interior = Even cleaner ... like it!
Forward visibility = Way better ... mind-boggling
Seating position = Better (can position wheel without blocking speedo)
Seat Comfort = Draw (with Next-Gen)
Air Vent system = Way better
Seat Heat = Faster

Screen Position = Higher, closer, ability to stabilize finger by grabbing display = Better
Screen Angle = Worse ... needs to be angled at least slightly towards driver
Nav interface = Way better (coming to MS/X soon!) ... smooth zoom & fast draw = unbelievable
Single Screen vs. Dual = Worse ... especially with everything having been moved onto screen
Requires more interface element juggling
Requires even interface element scrolling (such as with trip odos)
Shrinks map ... and covers it up more
Perhaps worth it, though, to free up wheel position, improve visibility (for short driver)

Acceleration = Less ... but plenty good
Canyon/Mountain Handling = Better
Steering Feel = Slightly firmer (M3 "Sport" vs. MS "Sport")
Braking Feel = Slightly softer/spongier (should be tightened up)
Throttle Response = Slightly touchier
Regen = Similar
AP2 = On par with AP1 ... but seems "naggier" and to require stronger "holds"

Motor noise = Quieter ... often inaudible (as expected, coming from AWD --> RWD)
Ride quality = Slightly worse (but still surprisingly good)
Road/axle noise = Much worse (only thing that seemed like cheap rental car)

Early-Days Missing in Actions: Auto-dim headlights, scheduled charging, easy entry

Attempting to answer the questions posed here since yesterday.
S70D was 240 when new, after 55K miles there is maybe 5-7% degradation. Most of that was in the first 10K miles so I expect the rate of degradation to continue to be very slow for many years. Should last a lifetime? I haven't charged above 90% in a long time and only that much on road trips.

Thank you for the grate write-up - and congrats on your new ride.

Just an FYI, if you do not perform range charge once in a while (i.e., charge to 100%), it is difficult to judge exactly how much range you actually lost. Almost every time I did a range charge, the battery re-calculates the capacity, and frequently miles I thought I lost came back. On my P85D from December 2014, I lost <1% of range in 3 years (new 253, current 251).

Reactions: Anssi